The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Optima batteries [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logic

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Berkeley, California
Hi,

I've been doing a little battery research. I've settled on Optima, based on comments I've seen regarding them and the fact that they're a sealed setup. I'm now looking at the various versions of batteries that they produce, and I've noticed very little difference (from reading over their techinical specifications) between their various "colors" (red for engine use, blue for marine, yellow for deep cycle applications). For reference, here are links to the specs they publish for each major type of battery:

The "Red Top 34" engine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34.pdf

The "Blue Top 34" dual-terminal marine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34M.pdf

The "Yellow Top 34" dual-terminal deep cycle battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

My question, then, is simple: what's the difference, besides packaging? The marine battery literature makes claims about not discharging as much over time and recharging faster, but that would seem to be about it between the red and blue (the yellow has a few obvious differences, such as resistance and power output). Am I misreading, or is there really very little real-world difference?

For the curious: the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to run the blue-top to match the rest of the underhood setup (along with any advantages that might come from the discharging characteristics; it sounds like the perfect setup for a car that's stored over winter, for example). That's the kind of eraser-head riceboi I am. :)

(I was a little unsure of whether to post this in the Basic/Newbie forum, or in the 2.0 Turbo Performance forum. Mods, please feel free to move if you think this is too basic.)

So i need a new battery and i wanted to know which is better im goin with super start they have premium and extreme....i have alot of electronics like gauges,turbo timer,boost controller,etc no sound system though.

the premium:

720CCA/860CA

RESERVE MIN. = 100

DUAL TERMINAL
* Our best selling battery!
* 72 month warranty
* 2 year free replacement
* Meets or exceeds most OEM starting power requirements
* Computer controlled manufacturing ensures high performance and long life

EXTREME:

720CCA/860CA

RESERVE MIN. = 100

* 84 month warranty
* 3 year free replacement
* Maximum power with patented silver alloy to deliver long life
* Designed for severe weather conditions - hot or cold

I'm think about getting a BlueTop Optima Battery

Specifically the 34M or the D34M
Optima BlueTop Specs - Deep Cycle Blue Top Battery Specifications by Optima

I've checked the demensions of the batteries compared to the recommended RedTop battery byt he same company via thier website Part Number: 25 (8025-160 (1998 Mit Eclipse GS)

Do you think this would work under my hood?

for 250 bucks this battery better fit

I'm think about getting a BlueTop Optima Battery

Specifically the 34M or the D34M
Optima BlueTop Specs - Deep Cycle Blue Top Battery Specifications by Optima

I've checked the demensions of the batteries compared to the recommended RedTop battery byt he same company via thier website Part Number: 25 (8025-160 (1998 Mit Eclipse GS)

Do you think this would work under my hood?

for 250 bucks this battery better fit

Not sure the Blue one will, why not get the Yellow Top?

I'm testing a theory with the extra pos and neg terminals. Connecting accessories like stereo equipment and cosmetic interior and exterior led lighting etc. The bluetop is almost the same as the yellow top according to specs from optima, cept the extra terminals. Astheticly it matchings my color scheme too

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I'm testing a theory with the extra pos and neg terminals. Connecting accessories like stereo equipment and cosmetic interior and exterior led lighting etc. The bluetop is almost the same as the yellow top according to specs from optima, cept the extra terminals. Astheticly it matchings my color scheme too

Well, that is true then. I'm sure if you go to your auto parts store or online here the specs will show you how close the 2 are for dimensions. All I can say is that the dual post yellow fit just fine in my 97 so I see no issue for you when you get yours.

I bought the yellow top at remmy battery $118.61 12/06/06 lasted till - 10/24/11 and i have a full audio system on my daily driver that can handle cold weather . I just bought my second 1 at advanced auto $205 let me see another battery last like that ! :dsm:

Last edited:
I've had way too many red tops crap out on me in less than a year. And if any of you have ever dealt with Optima on a warranty related issue, you'll know that it's worse of an experience than a sharp stick in the eye.

From now on, the Interstate Megatron is the only battery that I'll run. I considered the yellow top, but I refuse to pay that proud price.

I just bought a blue top optima battery, and it fits perfectly. I haven't connected it cause I wanna run my grounding kit a different way

Hi,

I've been doing a little battery research. I've settled on Optima, based on comments I've seen regarding them and the fact that they're a sealed setup. I'm now looking at the various versions of batteries that they produce, and I've noticed very little difference (from reading over their techinical specifications) between their various "colors" (red for engine use, blue for marine, yellow for deep cycle applications). For reference, here are links to the specs they publish for each major type of battery:

The "Red Top 34" engine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34.pdf

The "Blue Top 34" dual-terminal marine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34M.pdf

The "Yellow Top 34" dual-terminal deep cycle battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

My question, then, is simple: what's the difference, besides packaging? The marine battery literature makes claims about not discharging as much over time and recharging faster, but that would seem to be about it between the red and blue (the yellow has a few obvious differences, such as resistance and power output). Am I misreading, or is there really very little real-world difference?

For the curious: the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to run the blue-top to match the rest of the underhood setup (along with any advantages that might come from the discharging characteristics; it sounds like the perfect setup for a car that's stored over winter, for example). That's the kind of eraser-head riceboi I am. :)

(I was a little unsure of whether to post this in the Basic/Newbie forum, or in the 2.0 Turbo Performance forum. Mods, please feel free to move if you think this is too basic.)

It is my understanding that not only are the numbers ( 75/25 75/34 examples ) different amp ratings but also the dimensions of the battery . For instance one could be 8 inches tall and one 7 inches tall. On the Optima web site there is a place to chose year / make / model and it will tell you what battery you can run with your car...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back