The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Optima batteries [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logic

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Berkeley, California
Hi,

I've been doing a little battery research. I've settled on Optima, based on comments I've seen regarding them and the fact that they're a sealed setup. I'm now looking at the various versions of batteries that they produce, and I've noticed very little difference (from reading over their techinical specifications) between their various "colors" (red for engine use, blue for marine, yellow for deep cycle applications). For reference, here are links to the specs they publish for each major type of battery:

The "Red Top 34" engine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34.pdf

The "Blue Top 34" dual-terminal marine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34M.pdf

The "Yellow Top 34" dual-terminal deep cycle battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

My question, then, is simple: what's the difference, besides packaging? The marine battery literature makes claims about not discharging as much over time and recharging faster, but that would seem to be about it between the red and blue (the yellow has a few obvious differences, such as resistance and power output). Am I misreading, or is there really very little real-world difference?

For the curious: the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to run the blue-top to match the rest of the underhood setup (along with any advantages that might come from the discharging characteristics; it sounds like the perfect setup for a car that's stored over winter, for example). That's the kind of eraser-head riceboi I am. :)

(I was a little unsure of whether to post this in the Basic/Newbie forum, or in the 2.0 Turbo Performance forum. Mods, please feel free to move if you think this is too basic.)

I finally bought an Optima Yellow cap for my 2g dsm.. nobody could give me an answer so I found out for myself.. I bought a D75/25 yellow cap for my car and it works great.. fits fine and everything worked out. For anyone who is looking to buy a yellow cap, a D75/25 is a perfect fit..

Ok I'm selling my 83 rabbit, it has a optima red top. The guy that might buy it brought his "car buddy". His buddy, first shouts out that the rabbit wont keep with his mustang LOL, what a tool. Ok sorry anyway he begins to tell me that, and I'm quoting here "optima's aren't good for racing, they blow up and dont spill any fluid!!!" WTF??. I basically just stood there, staring! I tried to breathe in his ignorance, i then just exploded with a load of cynicism that probably wounded his tiny brain very badly LOL. I then began to tell him that firstly its just a battery it has no effect on any sort of performance for the vehicle, before i could finish he started in with "my v8 would eat that rabbit up for breakfast WTF WTF WTF :notgood: .

He is apparently a "mechanic". I'm guessing he is just some lube tech retard that doesnt know jack about cars let alone anything in his pathetic little waste of a life. Ok I'm done just had to vent!! I hate tards!ROFL

ok im not trying to mess with you or anything but what i would like to know is where he got the idea that he was going to race a rabbit and i am guessing it is stock right?

stock besides a better throttle body and cam. I didnt give him any inclination what so ever, i walked up to the 2 of them barely said hello before he starts vomiting out some of the dumbest things I or my friend have ever heard(he was there and still can't believe this kid LOL)!

BTW he was there in his friends pontiac grand am, not sure what was up this kids ass but i sure wanted to beat the ever living shit out of him ROFL

Anyone use or have an opinion on the blue top optima.

I have a blue top. ( I got it free at a car/boat auction I worked at on weekends, they always have extra parts laying around. )

Ive been running it for almost a yr now, and its died on me once from leaving my sound system blasting with the car off ( major no no ) but I was testin the battery.

It took like 24 hrs on a battery charger to charge back up, they take awhile.
But once charged its been working great ever since with no issue.
They are good batteries, and good for ppl who like to mount their batteries in other than stock locations like the trunk....

Anyone have a part # on a blue top that will work with our cars? Preferably a 95 gsx.

Of course, a lot of people have the yellow/red top Optima battery for their cars, but it wouldn't match for my car. I heard that the Optima BLUE top battery should fit, but I just wanted to make sure before I bought one. Is there any side effects/positive effects for using a Blue top?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I got mines for free out of a auction car but ive had a blue top for over a yr on mines and it always worked good and if it ever died from a light being left on or a sound system being blasted while the car was off it always recharged right up. Ive killed and recharged that thing nearly 10 times, and now it finally kicked no me and is no good any more because I was driving around with a bad alternator that wasnt charging, after so many times of killing it I guess it just had no more left but was a great battery for the time I was using it, and it matched my car as well, ( similar to your desire with it )
I also like its additional posts for system related terminal hook ups.

Marine batteries are made to run accesories with out the charging system running. Some people like to use them in cars for this reason. I'm not sure if there are any negative side effects to them.

My experience is deep cycle batteries like these are damaged from the high charge rate of an automotive charging system. The battery is designed to give extended low current use time, so the plates are closer together and the high current rates charge or discharge, can warp the plates and cause internal shorts. Many people who have stereo systems like them, but I get 3-5 hours out of my red top, how much more radio do you need??

What ray said. Deep cycle is simply that. Its meant to be taken all the way down then recharged again. Conventional is meant to constanly be replenished. Change how you charge either and the life off both will decrease. If you charge a deep cycle with an alternator I wouldn't expect much more than 2yrs. Also if you run a conventional all the way then don't charge it for a while it will never come back. I've seen yellow tops last 10yrs so why choose blue for the color?

Blue top and yellow top optimas are essentially the same battery, with different posts on the top. The blue top doesn't have side posts. They are meant to be discharged and recharged many times. Red tops are not as capable of doing that. I've destroyed a few Red Tops from discharging them so many times. I've yet to destroy a Yellow or blue top from discharging it many times.

If you have a soundsystem and like to play it loud with the car off, get a Yellow top. If you want the blue colored top, get the Blue top.

If you don't have a soundsystem, but just want a good starting battery, the Red Top works great. There are many other batteries out there that have a smaller footprint, weigh less and are maintenance free gel-cell or dry cell. Stinger makes a great battery that will start up your car.

FYI, yellow tops do fit in our cars. Just measure the stock battery and get one that is around the same size. I've had a yellow top in my car for almost two years now without any problems or fitment issues.

so your trying to find a battery that is essentially blue and is good for show right? I would recommend a Kinetik battery, I have one for my car, i have a 2400 watt system, it is amazing, best money I've ever spent, I can get you one for around 200 bucks from a car audio place I deal with.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back