The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Warming up... [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GeNTSi

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2003
South Sac, California
This is probably a super n00b question but I never had a real solid answer to when and how long you should let your car warm up. My routine in the morning is to let it warm up until the needle is at 1/4, rpms below 1k, and oil pressure is at mid. Thing is I'm still in high school and I don't usually drive to lunch so it stays parked for the whole day and when I leave I'm not sure if I have to go through the whole process of waiting or just drive off right away.

I RARELY drive my car hard, i.e. rpms usually stay around 2-4k. I have no reason to drive fast anyways unless I'm in a hurry but even then I only speed 10-15 above the speed limit. Also I know that your not supposed to drive your car hard until it is at the normal running temperature. Oh yeah if you don't know already, I have a 95 TSi.

I know a lot of people who normaly "take it easy", stay out of boost, til its warmed up. But you can still drive it beforehand. I know my car idling will take 15-20minutes to warm up to NOT, I couldn't imagine sitting there waiting for it. The only times I do give it 5-10 or so minutes before I drive it, is when its near or below zero.

You should let it warm up for 30 seconds or so, then drive it. Condensation forms on the inside of the engine and it can prevent the oil from doing it's job. It's best to get the car moving as quickly as possible to get rid of the condensation. It's also not a good idea to immediately boost the engine or take it to high rpm's. The cylinders aren't fully expanded at lower temps and high rpm operations/high boost will cause damage to the pistons and/or cylinder walls.

I let my car idle for a minute for two then shift low, and stay out of boost until it hits normal operating temps.
I try to wait until the needle hits the white line on the bottom of the gauge before I go. That usually involves about 2-3 minutes of waiting.

thanks guys for the responses, i thought that was the case i have a nazzi friend that seems to think that you DO have to wait till it fully warms up. thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back