The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Optima batteries [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logic

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Berkeley, California
Hi,

I've been doing a little battery research. I've settled on Optima, based on comments I've seen regarding them and the fact that they're a sealed setup. I'm now looking at the various versions of batteries that they produce, and I've noticed very little difference (from reading over their techinical specifications) between their various "colors" (red for engine use, blue for marine, yellow for deep cycle applications). For reference, here are links to the specs they publish for each major type of battery:

The "Red Top 34" engine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34.pdf

The "Blue Top 34" dual-terminal marine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34M.pdf

The "Yellow Top 34" dual-terminal deep cycle battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

My question, then, is simple: what's the difference, besides packaging? The marine battery literature makes claims about not discharging as much over time and recharging faster, but that would seem to be about it between the red and blue (the yellow has a few obvious differences, such as resistance and power output). Am I misreading, or is there really very little real-world difference?

For the curious: the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to run the blue-top to match the rest of the underhood setup (along with any advantages that might come from the discharging characteristics; it sounds like the perfect setup for a car that's stored over winter, for example). That's the kind of eraser-head riceboi I am. :)

(I was a little unsure of whether to post this in the Basic/Newbie forum, or in the 2.0 Turbo Performance forum. Mods, please feel free to move if you think this is too basic.)

RiceKiller_TSi said:
How long do these batteries last? And what makes them better
They use a gel instead of a liquid acid. not sure how this makes it better but it does. there also alittle heaver. LOL we use a gel type batteries in m1a1 tanks. but they have 6 of them. but for how long they last. i watched matrix reloaded with 7inch in dash 1400 watt rockford amp with L7 solo baric and didn't have to start the car. which :rocks: and thats with the redtop. i love it. :dsm:

Defiant said:
Read Post #2, for starters.
i know but i want to know what the color mean.... not just how they effect my system
tibby_boy said:
i know for a fact blue is a marine battery. for boats and things of that nature, but can be used on cars. not sure on differences between red and yellow. a friend just bought, a month ago, a red top and has had nothing bad to say of it yet.

this is what i ment i read everything befor i posted sorry ill make my ? clearer next time
:sosad:

Deep cycle batteries: Can withstand repeated deep cycles (cycling the battery to as low as 10.5 volts) without premature failure. Deep cycle batteries are recommended for applications such as trolling motors, car audio, winches, bow thrusters, etc.

Optima D31M Blue Top, D31A Yellow Top and D31T Yellow Top Batteries:
The D31 series is Optima's most powerful single-unit deep cycle battery. Like all Optima batteries, the D31 series deep cycle batteries offer exceptionally high CCA for their size and boast 75 amp hours of current storage for long deep-cycling run times. The D31 deep cycle batteries will not off-gas in normal operation, but for complete safety in enclosed spaces their overpressure vent will accept a remote venting tube. If you have room for a D31 series battery, they represents the best performance/cost value on the market. They're stellar performers in virtually any deep cycle battery application, and their Spiralcell AGM construction make them tough as nails. The D31A has automotive-style (SAE) posts, the D31T has top mounted stainless steel threaded studs for flat-loop connectors, and the versatile D31M has both SAE posts and threaded studs. The difference in color between yellow and blue top batteries does not denote a performance difference.

Optima D34M Blue Top and D34 Yellow Top and D34/78 Yellow Top Batteries: Optima D34 series batteries are powerful deep cycle batteries with dimensions a bit smaller than Group 24. The Optima D34M has standard automotive top posts plus threaded stainless steel studs (also on top) for flat loop connectors. The Optima D34 Yellow Top battery has standard automotive top posts. The Optima D34/78 battery has the same automotive top posts plus GM-style side connectors. The electrical performance of these three Optima deep cycle batteries is identical: The difference in color between yellow and blue top batteries does not denote a performance difference.

I just put in a yellow top battery last night. I noticed a considerable difference in the brightness of my lights.

I was rocking an old 350CCA Interstate battery before.

Big thumbs up here!

:thumb:

I'm about to go buy one from farm and fleet.... 150 for a yellow top is good right?

also will the 34/78 OY fit in perfectly in a nt?:confused: it looks much bigger than what I have now

So I got the optima battery for 140. fit almost perfectly ( the battery tie is a little higher than it was on the old battery but wasn't a problem at all), but it looks gorgeous and my headlights defintily shine brighter, not to mention that when my bass is going i get no dimming whatsoever:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: DEFINITLY WORTH THE EXTRA BUCK

went on the website to find a part number for the red~top but it dosent show one for the 1g~is there one for my car

Being as the optima has a centered type post, any one of them should work. I had to lend mine out to a friend before I got to try it. Mine is a red top. I'll let you know if I ever get it back.

Anyway, just go to the parts house and ask for one by application. That should let you know pretty quick. Around here, only AutoZone has them. So, if you have AutoZone, they can fix you up.

Good Luck

Go yellow. I got red and regretted it. I talked to a a bunch of people and it seems the red's come in a lot for failing. Ive had to use the 3 year free replacement warranty on the red already and I got it a year ago... And iuve had problems with it charging for the past 6 months....

To me all optima colored tops are great batteries. The are tough and durable and have great warranty's. You should be able to go to any optima battery dealer ask all the questions you have, they should have the answers to them.

I have a drycell like the optimas from Napa. I use to manage the local store. Their batteries have different color tops according to the type of battery. The red top was the deepcycle battery. I opted not to use that one just because it was a bit more money. I'm not 100% about the colors meaning the same thing with other brands such as optima, but one of their sales reps should be able to tell you. Any of them should work just fine, your preferance.

Don't go yellow unless you are drawing so much power that you need a deep cycle. Deep cycles that aren't drawn down, and then charged back up lead much shorter lives.

For most people, a red top is perfect. I run one in both of my cars, and in my talon, even with 750w worth of amplifiers, it doesn't seem to be hurting at all.

I'm buying a new battery and I did a search and didn't find a specific answer.. I run a carpc in my car that I also run when the car is off along with a small amp and sub. What battery (yellow or red) and what code would I need for my car?

Well remember this, a red top is built more for running smaller loads, but it will be better for when you turn the car off and on all the time. With a yellow top it's made to take a constant draw, so if you turn ## car off and on all the time, it shortens the life of the car, whereas the red top is built for that and better cold cranking amps. If you run a massive system, wut I would do is run a dual battery setup, a small one for running the car and bigger one like a yellow top for running the system and electronics. I do have a system too, but I use a Odyssey battery. It's a drycell that is half the size and weight of a regular gelcell or wetcell. Hope I gave a little closure. :dsm:

I really don't turn the car on and off constantly.. so yellow sounds better. My car isn't really a daily driver.. What i need then is the part number of the battery that will fit the car..

My local autoparts store told me the Optima red top wouldn't fit in my 2gb GST, so I bought the battery and installed it myself while the glorified grease monkeys stood by and watched ROFL the battery was actually smaller than the die-hard battery that came with my car :thumb:

mnetwork said:
Does anyone know the number for a yellow-cap battery that will fit a fwd 2g??

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/battery_search/battery_search.html

There seems to no proper fit. Closest fit may be slightly larger or slightly smaller. Try medium or small size. Why are you asking here? Not like you're going to order it on the web or over the phone and pay crazy shipping charges. Simply pop into any place that sell them, give them your old battery to get whatever deposit credit they offer and buy it. They usually have several sizes/post configurations and you'll be able to select a proper fit.

D_Eclipse9916 said:
Go yellow. I got red and regretted it. I talked to a a bunch of people and it seems the red's come in a lot for failing. Ive had to use the 3 year free replacement warranty on the red already and I got it a year ago... And iuve had problems with it charging for the past 6 months....

Who are those "bunch of people"? I've had a Red Top in my Talon for over three years and NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. It's an amazing battery compared with other ancient design batteries. Quick charge does amazing things with this battery. I don't regret the purchase, at all. Holds a charge for an amazing period of time.

Perhaps there's something wrong with your charging system? Dirty posts? Corroded wires? DSM's don't exactly have 150-amp charging systems either. What are you doing with your battery?

Actually I found batteries to be more expensive in the store.. the online prices aren't that bad. Our cars don't exist as compatible in the battery search. Medium, large, small.. those aren't sizes. Many people on these forums use this battery and I just needed the size code of the best fitting yellow cap..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back