The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Optima batteries [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logic

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Berkeley, California
Hi,

I've been doing a little battery research. I've settled on Optima, based on comments I've seen regarding them and the fact that they're a sealed setup. I'm now looking at the various versions of batteries that they produce, and I've noticed very little difference (from reading over their techinical specifications) between their various "colors" (red for engine use, blue for marine, yellow for deep cycle applications). For reference, here are links to the specs they publish for each major type of battery:

The "Red Top 34" engine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34.pdf

The "Blue Top 34" dual-terminal marine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34M.pdf

The "Yellow Top 34" dual-terminal deep cycle battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

My question, then, is simple: what's the difference, besides packaging? The marine battery literature makes claims about not discharging as much over time and recharging faster, but that would seem to be about it between the red and blue (the yellow has a few obvious differences, such as resistance and power output). Am I misreading, or is there really very little real-world difference?

For the curious: the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to run the blue-top to match the rest of the underhood setup (along with any advantages that might come from the discharging characteristics; it sounds like the perfect setup for a car that's stored over winter, for example). That's the kind of eraser-head riceboi I am. :)

(I was a little unsure of whether to post this in the Basic/Newbie forum, or in the 2.0 Turbo Performance forum. Mods, please feel free to move if you think this is too basic.)

Optima really only make two batteries; the non-deep-cycle and the deep-cycle.

The only differences with the "marine" batteries are the placement of the terminals (closer to the centre of the battery) and the warranty (double).

The deep-cycle batteries will survive you flattening them accidentally much better than the others; to my mind there's little sense in paying for an Optima if you're not buying one of the deep-cycle ones.

Personally, I went with the blue-top deep-cycle Optima (D34M). With the funky stuff hung off the 1G's battery terminals I had to do some creative hackery to get things to fit correctly; I ditched the terminals and am using the screw posts instead (I've actually considered cutting the terminals off completely). I also had to cut the end of the battery tray to get it to fit.

HTH, PM me if you want pictures.

Without going to those link, (have pity, I'm on dial-up and hotmail and tuners takes long enough as it is) deep cycle batteries tend to have thicker plates in the cells, which is good for reserve capacity. As a general rule however, that extra reserve capacity comes at a price of a lower CCA rating. That's just a general rule, not really specific to Optima batteries.

As for the sitting over winter issue, you're asking for trouble if you just park it and let the car sit for months at a time. Disconnecting the battery takes all of 2 minutes, even less if you have wing nuts on the adapters.

any body know which optima is the best to use in our cars? i had a yellow one but it died so i returned it and i got a blue one because the Cold crankin amp are closer to the oem for my car, but when i got the blue one it had the exact same specs as trhe yellow top, i really want a red but since the CCA are 525 i figured 750 was pushin it a little.

i've had red for 1 year. even ran it for 3 days without an alternator (about 60 miles) when i was changing the alternator.

I got the red top. $130 is a lot for a battery but it looks hot in my engine bay:thumb:

Ive got a yellow in both of my vehicles. The Talon and a truck with a big block. Never had any problems.

Ok..i think my battery just died cause my car won't start or turn over and my lights dim and radio turns off and on when i try to start the car. Anyways, would a Red Top optima battery fit a 95 GST WITHOUT modifications? I'm in college right now and I don't have tools to make it fit? I need something that'll fit. Hopefully a red top optima wil fit.

get specs for the battery. and then measure your compartment. If the compartment is bigger it will fit.....

I've got a quick question for you car audio enthusiasts in here with a dsm. I was wondering if you know of the model numbers for the red AND yellow top optima batteries that will fit in a dsm 1G. Also, even though a yellow top costs more, isn't it better if I just got one for my audio system? It has almost the same cca as the red top. Would there be any downfalls to using the yellow over the red? Thanks for any help guys:thumb:

Actually, batteries don't make a difference in the world with your audio system. When your car is running, your audio system is drawing the majority of it's current from your alternator...not battery. Special or additional batteries are only going to help you if you plan on playing your system with your car turned off (not running). If you're looking for improved electrical output for your system, I would recommend going with a larger alternator and thicker gauge wiring (from your alternator to your battery to your amps).

would you or anyone know of a company or site that i would be able to get a high output alternator from for a 1G DSM? just please don't recommend me getting the thing rewound, because i've checked everywhere and NO there is not a place around me that does rewindes. Thanks for any help.:thumb: :dsm:

yellow tops are more of a deap cycle battery and would help marginally with listening to your stereo with the car off, in regards to damage to the battery from drainage, a red top is more or a starting battery but does have excellent discharge performance and reserve compared to "regular" batteries, if you listen with the car running go with the redtop, if off go with a yellow, but the alternator is also a big issue, if the stereo draws more amperage than the alternator can put out than it is gonna rely on the battery to make up the difference, and then the alternator won't be able to power the stereo and keep the battery properly charged which will lead to voltage drop and less output from your amps and also can harm the battery if dropped too low...sorry so long winded

A local custom car audio shop would be your best bet for a high output alternator, especially if you'll also need someone to install it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back