The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Max safe boost? [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be safe: 10psi set with a decent MBC and you'll be doing allllllriiiiiight. Then when you get link you can ease your way up, not sure how far up with only 550s but i dont know what a 20g is capable of.

Be safe: 10psi set with a decent MBC and you'll be doing allllllriiiiiight. Then when you get link you can ease your way up, not sure how far up with only 550s but i dont know what a 20g is capable of.

This is the correct answer. 12-13psi (depending on atmospheric conditions) is enough to max the stock injectors. You may even hit fuel cut before that. This would be a potentially expensive (project ending) mistake for many.

Review this thread before you get ahead of yourself:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/422900-things-not-do-14b-450s-boost-turned-up.html

A stock 14B actuator and BCS should keep you to 9-11psi, which will still be making more than stock power.

You cannot control the new 550s until your Link ECU shows up. Even then you should get familiar with before playing with boost, injector scaling, deadtimes, etc.

Why cheat yourself with the 550s? You said soon you will have them so I'm assuming your going to be buying them. A 20g will outflow those injectors in no time. For not much more you can get the proper 880cc injectors and get all you can out of your turbo. You will also need a afpr and Dsm link which you said you will be soon getting. After that you can run 20psi on pump and have a bad ass street car.

Do it right, or do it half-assed... It's your choice. You know 550's won't cut it and you know you can't make it work right until link is installed. Wait till you get link and get some bigger injectors and you're good to go. No need to set yourself up for failure.

^^ Agreed. With fic 2150s out there that idle like stock on gas or e85, its a wonder why people dont just go big the first time(im guilty as well). I preach that all the time: If you think theres even a remote chance you want to go big, like 600+whp eventually and have or will have access to corn juice, just buy the biggest injectors you can from the get go. This isnt for everyone and i understand theres a 500+ dollar difference, i get that. But so so many dsmers end up wanting more power only to be stuck with a fuel setup that has to be sold(for a big loss), then upgrade everything again.
Ill stop beating that drum, ive done that twice in 48 hours now haha.

If you are going to "overkill" something.. it might as well be the fuel system. I did it the expensive way.. incremental upgrades over the years.

Started with a 190lph on 450s.. now it's drinking from an MP-4303, AFPR, 3gal surge tank, -10AN lines and 2200cc injectors with the option to dump in another ~1200cc of water or water/meth on top LOL

Alright I know that 550cc won't be enough for what I want, but I have a buddy that was just going to give them to me so I figured why not? But it looks like the first thing I should do is get link. So that's what I'll be doing. Thanks for everyone's help!

I have a 2g, 14b turbo fresh rebuild, new upper gasket set just installed with arp headstuds. Also installed 1g throttle body. I have a walbro 255 fuel pump, with a lot of supporting mods, only thing I don't have is bigger injectors and link. Before arp headstuds I was running around 14lbs boost. My question is how high of boost can I take it to without knock. If this has been covered 19 thousands times please direct me to a link cause I couldn't find anything would appreciate any help thanks.

How high of boost can you take it without knock? Too many variables to tell, but octane fuel level plays a major roll. I would invest in link thats really the only safe way to tell where your at as far as the limit of injectors, you dont wanna risk hitting fuel cut.

link is my next step with injectors and a wideband. Was just hoping I could sqeeze a few more lbs but unwilling to just try it and see what happens I don't have money for that.

Just start with link that way you can monitor and get things adjusted. There really is no set number you can put your boost at. If you're at 14 and it feels smooth then leave it there. That's assuming you know your knock sensor is doing its job if you are getting knock.

Simple explanation... More boost means more air which needs more fuel. If you cant turn up fuel output, you are going to have issues. Just be patient and build it right. Rushing things will break parts and cost more money. Cheers

hey there I just did a motor swap cause I spun a rod bearing long story short I was trying to figure out how much boost u guys would think would be safe with an hx 40 turbo on stock internals im currentaly waiting on my rebuild all upgraded but had to put stock motor back in for now an wanna no what would be a safe level with causing any damages im running 35 right now any suggestions ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back