The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Optima batteries [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logic

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Berkeley, California
Hi,

I've been doing a little battery research. I've settled on Optima, based on comments I've seen regarding them and the fact that they're a sealed setup. I'm now looking at the various versions of batteries that they produce, and I've noticed very little difference (from reading over their techinical specifications) between their various "colors" (red for engine use, blue for marine, yellow for deep cycle applications). For reference, here are links to the specs they publish for each major type of battery:

The "Red Top 34" engine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34.pdf

The "Blue Top 34" dual-terminal marine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34M.pdf

The "Yellow Top 34" dual-terminal deep cycle battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

My question, then, is simple: what's the difference, besides packaging? The marine battery literature makes claims about not discharging as much over time and recharging faster, but that would seem to be about it between the red and blue (the yellow has a few obvious differences, such as resistance and power output). Am I misreading, or is there really very little real-world difference?

For the curious: the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to run the blue-top to match the rest of the underhood setup (along with any advantages that might come from the discharging characteristics; it sounds like the perfect setup for a car that's stored over winter, for example). That's the kind of eraser-head riceboi I am. :)

(I was a little unsure of whether to post this in the Basic/Newbie forum, or in the 2.0 Turbo Performance forum. Mods, please feel free to move if you think this is too basic.)

i have had a yellow top on my 1g.its been mounted in my trunk on its side and i havent had a problem yet,even with a 2500 watt sound system..so i do recomend optima batteries!!!

I didn't close my door one night and it still started the next morning. Optimas are great batteries, I just got another for my Jeep.

Didn't they drop one out of a plane to test and see if it would still start the car?

I got the blue top and am very happy with it. It's the same as the yellow top, just with an extra set of screw terminals next to the main ones. I had a whole blue color scheme thing going for a while, so needed it to match. :p

yup.. when you hear "Dank" in cali.. that marijuana stuff comes to mind. meaning the real good sticky icky icky.. LOL

anyways I "hear" a lot of positive things about the OPTIMA battery.. but I got cheap and bought a Kirkland battery from costco.. no problems so far

haha... When I bought my red top, the guy told me: You know somthing? did you konw that the Secret service uses optima batteries in thier vehichles... and I said, no... and he replied," Its because its the only batteriy that can be shot at with a gun, and still work"...
I was sold before that bit of information, but it certainly makes me feel safer... been 2 years, no problems... One time I left my dome *the rear view mirror lights* on for a week while I was on a trip... they were still on very dimly, and My dad noticed like 2 days before my return... Ha! he charged the battery, no problems since then... Definately noticed when changing from a standard die hard to the optima a difference in my audio.. my inverter for my playstation stopped buzzing.. LOL.. this is a long post, sorry. I just get so emotional about my battery.

i know its been said alot but i bought my optima yellow top about 3 years ago killed it competly about 3 or 4 times total. i once left my lights on (the 5000K bulbs i think) on for about 5 hours and it barely cranked but cranked none the less i love it and would drop the 160 dollars for another one if thats how much they still cost heavy but well worth it if your really worried about the maybe 10 pounds difference then you should take off the alternator too and just run the strip on the bat. alone :p

Have your optima battery tested before putting it on your car. Ive heard of the new ones having bad cells...

I havent had any issues with my optima.

Forgot to mention. The one thing that I dont like about the optima is that it starts the car almost too fast. The car starts immediately once cranked and the engine doesnt have time to build oil pressure before starting. Personally, I prefer the engine to crank over a few times to get the oil pressure up a little before startup.

My Red Top is awesome. It only cost like 60 bucks when i got it from pep boys. Maybe it was a remanufactured one?

hystericfox said:
Didn't they drop one out of a plane to test and see if it would still start the car?
I doubt it. I had one fall 2.5 ft. off of a shelf and land on my garage floor. It put a 2" crack on the corner of the battery and that little abrasive disk fell out.

Jahjahpoet said:
Its because its the only batteriy that can be shot at with a gun, and still work"...
Do you believe that? These are bad-ass, powerful batteries, but they are not God. I have dead one's for proof. I have one that simply sat in the car and the car didn't get used for 6 months. It never took a charge again after that.

But, nevertheless, I'll take a spare Optima out back and shoot it today, just to see if it still works. I'll also take a generic battery and shoot it too. I'll use my 22 and my 12 gauge. It'll be a fun little experiment; I'll post back with pictures.

Do you believe that? These are bad-ass, powerful batteries, but they are not God. I have dead one's for proof. I have one that simply sat in the car and the car didn't get used for 6 months. It never took a charge again after that.

>>>You're having that SAME issue with a battery too? OMG Im having that go on right now with my Yellowtop D16, its a Honda Civic battery, being used in a trunkmount setup. The car sat all winter until June, which is when I got my new motor running. I can charge it, it "appears" to take a full charge in what seems to be about a third less charging time than usual, which means its probably discharging 10X faster than it should. I cant start the car warm without a jump. Im having hell getting it replaced by Advance Auto right now because they're testing it on one machine and it checks good, but when they bring the load tester out to my car, and hook it up to the battery it comes up bad. So I guess the machine that it checked good on checks for something different from what the load test machine checks for. Well, they know my alternator is good now. Just gotta deal with the store manager now. :rolleyes:

I have sold/installed over 50 Optimas. Red, blue, yellow, and all different sizes. I have killed one, but it was because it sat on the concrete for 7 months. Batterys are like everything else, do the basic maintance on them and they will last. I highly recommend a red top for the thread starters purpose :thumb: .

Mackzero said:
I have sold/installed over 50 Optimas. Red, blue, yellow, and all different sizes. I have killed one, but it was because it sat on the concrete for 7 months. Batterys are like everything else, do the basic maintance on them and they will last. I highly recommend a red top for the thread starters purpose :thumb: .

I thought these batteries were the no-maintenance kind. They are completely sealed and there is supposed to be no upkeep required.

I just like Optimas bacause they have a 3 year replacement guarantee. Costco sells them for $99 (Red Top) and thats the best price I had seen them going for.

well does anyone have a red top with a magnus intake mani??? will it fit ? i know most people use a civic battery when they put on the manifold and i havent seen a red top made just for a civic yet only yellow tops. i want to get a red top but worreid that when the magnus goes on it will not fit??

Well, im gonna have a Yellowtop for sale. The store manager said the battery has to test bad on a machine designed for deep cycle batteries before they can defect it out. So moral of the story for me, the Honda Civic "SIZED" Yellowtop is not intended for use in a Honda Civic or automotive use :confused: I spent about 45 min with the store manager explaining my beef, and he explained how and what Yellowtop "DEEP CYCLE" batteries were intended for, and supposedly automotive use (in cars) is not one of the applications. Theres more to the story if you wanna shoot me a PM.

Jahjahpoet - Tell your Optima salesman that he is full of $hit with his Secret Service sales pitch. These pics are from one slug from my 12 gauge from about 15-20 yards. This obviously does no longer function.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I told you guys I was gonna shoot one. :p :rocks: :rocks:

The secret service must make some kind of special bullet proof shield for it then. ROFL Otherwise that is awesome

dang were you that mad at ur battery?LOL... I saw a post about a red top fitting even with the magnus intake manifold, what do you guys think? I have a magnus manifold....

the optima batteries are worthless. 95lb 100$ crap. No need for one unless you want to bump your mad tyte sound system all day. I know people using honda del sol batteries (small) with no problems. Your battery has no reason to go dead tuning.... or doing anything else your doing while its running.

anconover said:
the optima batteries are worthless. 95lb 100$ crap. No need for one unless you want to bump your mad tyte sound system all day. I know people using honda del sol batteries (small) with no problems. Your battery has no reason to go dead tuning.... or doing anything else your doing while its running.

Not everyone has the same style so saying they are useless is just ignorant. I don't, by any means, have a crazy stereo at all but I do like to listen to it while cleaning my car or hanging out and talking. This can be for a few minutes or for along time. My "useless" Optima has done it for longer than anyother battery I have ever owned and still fired the car right up with no problem. I am also sure that you are perfect and have never left a light on or had a small drain in your electrical system. Those of us less than perfect people may have and are good and happy when there car fires right up. For those of us who have other cars with large engines or high compression also like these because they will help the starter turn over a 12:1 540 big block because of there cranking amps. Also I noticed that you live in NY. I live in AZ and AZ is VERY hot, as are alot of other parts of the country. Out here your Hand of God super light Del Slow battery would last a year, if that, and need to be replaced by another failed attempt at longevity. My Optima has lasted 5 years and counting and even after sitting for a good 8 months again fired my 10.5:1 383 in my truck with in a second or two. This is the same one that welded it self to the inner fender 18 months ago and had to be chissled off.

As far as weight, cry me a river. If you are that close to losing a race then make more power and drive better. 10 lbs is not going to be felt in a street car and I highly doubt that you are racing in a class that is that close in ET between cars. If you were, you most likely wouldn't even have a battery. Nice try.

The only thing I see here that is useless was your lame attempt to down play a great battery just because of your close mined thinking. Not only people with big stereos want or need a dependable battery that has been both proven and praised by A LOT of people.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back