The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Best Turbo? [Merged 9-9] turbocharger upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukster00

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2001
Budd_Lake_NJ
hi, i wona upgrade my turbo on the gsx, and there is so many choices dont know which one to buy, so i asking you pepz wich turbo is best for under 1k for street/strip setup thanks,

Originally posted by Wobble
so, for under $900 bux.. which turbo can i get for max power with a streetable spool..

must be internally gated (external stuff would put it past price range)

must bolt up to stock 2g manifold

To stay under the $900 price range you are looking in the right place $875 for an internal wastegate and also with a stainless steel turbine housing is a steal. Now I am sure that JDMawd will give his $.02 worth and that is fine. The ETE42 (60 trim)would work great or go will the ETE32 (50 trim). Just rememeber to get a GOOD oil supply to the turbo. Their are too many people out there that stall the car after a hard run and fry their turbos. (Done it twice) LAter

If you do decide to get oil from the oil filter housing make sure it has a properly sized restrictor. The pressure is too high for ANY turbo. I've already seen a Frank, 16g, 20g, and a L2R busted from the oil pressure when tapping from the housing.

IMHO, I would only tap from the head since I know it won't cause problems and there's no need for a restrictor. Dependng on people to properly size a restrictor is not something I would want to do.

Originally posted by jdmawd
I was on the phone with them for like an hour talking about oil supply location and the reasoning for it.

I believe the restrictor for the oil supply line on the PTE turbos is part of the line itself or is included in the kit. Either way, install it right and you should not have any problems. :thumb:

P.S. ( If jdmawd spends that much time on the phone just about oil supply, I would tap the oil from wherever they tell me to. :D )

This is not a war or comparison of turbo's. This might be a little long also, its up to you if you want to read, either way i need help.

My 92 Tsi goes into the shop when i order my turbo + intercooler. But right now the mods going in will be. DSMotorsport intercooler 24" X 7.9" X 3.5". 2G pistons bore .020. Venom intake manifold. 2.5 intercooler piping. 750cc injectors. Stage II cylinder head. 272/272 cams. HKS cam gears. balance shaft eliminator. 2.5 downpipe no cat to 3" "cat back". S-AFCII. walbro 255. turbo xs boost controller. apexi turbo timer. ACT 2600. unorthadox pullys. Aeromotive A1000-6 AFPR. tial 38mm external wastegate on 02 housing. alot of that tuning will be from the S-AFCII until i get the AEM system. my new dell just arrived last week. :)

My Goal is to reach high 10's with nitrous only if you guys think i will need it for spool up. It will be driven around, but not beat on, i have another car for that.

Turbo's i am looking at: also will i need a 90 degree elbow?
FPRED - TD06 compressor housing and 8cm2 turbine housing with a clipped TD06H turbine wheel. capable of 600HP
FPGREEN - 730cfm, around 500HP power. larger TD06H.
FP3052 - Garrett Ballistic Concepts GT30 cartridge. dont know much else?
20G - TDO5H 7cm. capable of 450 HP.
T3/T4 - 50Trim/Stage III/.63. capable of 10's with supporting mods.

Thats what i am looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also which headers would i run with those? would the FP's bolt up to stock headers? either way i should upgrade those also. thanks for your time.

Personally*, I'd look at the FP3052, or even the FP3065.

FYI, The 3052 is a Garrett 52-trim GT-37 compressor wheel.

(*Note, that I don't have any experience with either of the above turbos other than having read manufacturer specs and reviews on this board.)

I have a 95 talon AWD and i am planning my buildup and trying to pick the best parts for what i want. I want a streetable, around 400 hp, high 11's to low 12's car that is reliable as possible. I guess thats probably what everyone wants!!?? Anyway i am having some trouble choosing which turbo would be best for my goals. I have read a lot of forums on big 16, evoIII 16, T28 killer, hybrid's, fp's and so on.

I will be using a front mount intercooler and all exaust parts will be ported, mani will be sfp header with external wastegate. I do not want to go as cheap as i can but i would like a good bang/buck ratio.

What would you guys suggest?
Also correct me if i am wrong but if i use a front mount i dont need a 2g install kit right?

Thanks,

P.S Car gets out of the shop on Saturday:thumb:

Originally posted by Stoner
I have a 95 talon AWD and i am planning my buildup and trying to pick the best parts for what i want. I want a streetable, around 400 hp, high 11's to low 12's car that is reliable as possible. I guess thats probably what everyone wants!!?? Anyway i am having some trouble choosing which turbo would be best for my goals. I have read a lot of forums on big 16, evoIII 16, T28 killer, hybrid's, fp's and so on.

I will be using a front mount intercooler and all exaust parts will be ported, mani will be sfp header with external wastegate. I do not want to go as cheap as i can but i would like a good bang/buck ratio.

What would you guys suggest?
Also correct me if i am wrong but if i use a front mount i dont need a 2g install kit right?

Thanks,

P.S Car gets out of the shop on Saturday:thumb:

AGP dre spec 4bolt 50 trim:thumb:

hold off on the "header".

why are you going external may i ask?

green, 50 trim, fp3052, 20g will all get you there.

what do you mean by "install kit" for the frontmount?

What's the best turbo to get if I'm keeping my fuel system stock (smog nazis in CA)? I was thinking a Big 28? Should I go bigger?

Originally posted by talontsi01
the 16g will be a little much for the stock fuel system. Stick with a t28 or a 14b.
a ported t28 flows as much as a 16g...

as stated above... as long as it's tuned right you shouldn't have a problem. With a 190lph fuel pump you should be able to pass smog too... and if not it only takes 45 minutes to swap pumps.

i got a 96 talon esi with a 420a motor in it....what is the best turbo kit for it and how much is it going to be to get installed, and is it worth it, cuz i heard that a 420a with turbo will push out more h/p then a tsi, gsx, and a gst

Since this has been asked so many times I will just cut and paste my last response :D

============================================

This question has been asked countless times, maybe a moderator could put a "Options for going turbo" at the top of the N/T - Turbo Coversion forums... However, here we go again

Unless you plan on building your bottom end before going turbo, there are two Stages to a turbo kit when using your stock internals. A stage I turbo kit is everything the Stage II is, only non-intercooled. Because of this your boost levels will be limited to 5, maybe 6 psi. Stage II kits come with an intercooler and necessary plumbing, allowing you to boost up to 9 psi - and 10psi with some basic fuel tuning.

As for the kits.. there really are only two reputable kits out there to make your N/T turbocharged. The Hahn Racecraft kit is the most widely used and known turbo kit. This kit comes standard with a 16g turbocharger and internal wastegate + all of the other necessary components needed to make it function. The turbo can be upgraded to the larger 20g, slower spool but more top-end potential. If you spend the extra money and go Stage II with the HRC kit you will get a side-mount intercooler included with everything. You can also opt for the more efficient, noticable and expensive front mount intercooler with this kit. Hahn Racecraft distributes their own product and have exceptional customer service.. I know this firsthand because I purchased my injectors through them, and was able to talk to experienced Hahn employee whenever I had a question. Instructions with the kit are 40+ pages long and should explain everything you or a mechanic need to know for the install.

The other turbo kit is what I use, from Star Performance. This kit comes with a larger *standard* t3/t04b turbocharger, fairly similar to the 20g turbo. You also have the option of a larger E-trim turbo with the Star kit, not to mention a ball bearing option (allows for quicker spool). The Star performance kit uses an external wastegate whereas the HRC's wastegate is internal. Polished intercooler piping also comes standard with the Star kit. If you go for the Stage 2 kit with Star you get a standard front mount intercooler with a Spearco core and Star end tanks. Instructions are 2 pages long and serve a better purpose as toilet paper - but it should be 'enough' for a good mechanic... or if you know the fundamentals of the install.

Both of the kits are similar in price, although I think the Star kit is a couple hundred less. This all depends on where the kit is bought, and if it's used, what options it has etc. Eventually you are going to have to get a few supporting mods if you go turbo. I think larger injectors and a basic fuel tuning device (Vortech S-FMU) are damn near required as you don't want to be using your stock injectors for too long and risk running way to lean (engine goes ka-blewie). Also, a larger exhaust system will help out big time - any aftermarket system will do.. I chose to go custom on my exhaust and save a few $$$ to get the same results. Other things such as a clutch or ignition might be required, all depending on your vehicles current condition.

Although I'm sure I missed a few things, this is roughly the main options you will have for which kit to choose. Spend a little bit of time browsing through the N/T - Turbo Conversion forums and reading other similar posts to help fully educate your decision. You would be shocked how many times this question has been asked and debated.

Hope I was of some help! PM me if you have any other questions about the Star kit and what to expect. Or PM one of the many Hahn guys for their fill on that side of the turbo

exactly what turbo 40a said...

its all personal preference and goals.

if i had it to do over, i would have started with a gsx or gst, because in my opinion it costs less to make them faster. however, i love my car, and its a work in progress, after i rebuild and have the proper fuel mods, im shooting for 12s, which i would definitely be happy with.

I am rebuilding my 98 eclipse GST with JE forged pistons, eagle h-beam rods and a copper head gasket, and would like to know what would be the best turbo for this car to get it running in the mid to high 12's without it costing me more than maybe $800. I was told that with this setup i would be able to hold at least 30psi of boost with no problem.
If anybody has some suggestions as to what could be the better choice of turbo for this setup and times, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

This is saying you have all the supporting mods for one? Plus what are you going to do about traction?

Myself I am going with the SBR g60-1... I have all the supporting mods for it, plus I am "trying" to control traction the best that I can.

Corey

Definately need a 3'DP and fuel+fuel management.

Have to crawl before you can walk. I would recommend a turbo with some lag to it so you can hook up traction. I think a TD06 20G would work well. Can get you in the 4-450whp arena with tuning and the right supporting mods. If you want slightly bigger than try a PTE 50trim. Either way you need other shit first.

How did you afford eagle rods and forged pistons but have shiit $$$ left for the turbo? $800 will get you nothing. The 50trim is $950 or so shipped and that is EXCELLENT.

Originally posted by VRMAN
I think a TD06 20G would work well. Can get you in the 4-450whp arena with tuning and the right supporting mods. If you want slightly bigger than try a PTE 50trim.

Or you can get alittle more out of the 20G with a TDO6H and have it all said and done.;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back