The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best Turbo? [Merged 9-9] turbocharger upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukster00

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2001
Budd_Lake_NJ
hi, i wona upgrade my turbo on the gsx, and there is so many choices dont know which one to buy, so i asking you pepz wich turbo is best for under 1k for street/strip setup thanks,

First before you do any mods you need to do your maintenance you get your car running strong then you can start modding. Look at the upgrade paths on tech forums they will turn you in the right direction and since I'm guessing that this is your first turbo car so you might want to start off with a 16g seen some push close to 400hp with the right set up. First mods I would do is intake and exhaust. Then get a boost controller and turn the boost up a little on that lil t25. And if you get stuck anywhere on your build just ask around and I'm sure some one will point you in the right direction but first read the upgrade path chances are most of your questions have been answered already. Good luck:thumb:

Edit: Post some pics up asap

The last thing you need with all the stock stuff is a larger turbo. If you are reading this just pay attention to all the post above this one. Good luck with your build and hope it works out for you.

FIRST.......

It would be nice to know what exactly a turbocharge is and what it does to increase you power like it does....
Before you plan to mod you car and mess with shit you should know and understand what you are doing!!!
So FIRST research what a turbo is!
then come ask what you want to know!
;)

good luck!

You could get another hx40 for 200bucks. Thats what I payed for mines and mines is billet. What brand 272s do you have and also if it were my car id get a better smim. Between that and tuning and gettng the boost up another 7-8 psi ( you said your getting meth?) i think you will be content, especially judging by what your saying about already being happy with the car, spool wont be an issue imo...

My hx40 pro spools great with a ts T4 mani and 18cm hotside on a 2.4 engine. If I were you I would spend $200 bucks on a rebuild and an oil inlet restrictor. As long as you keep your oil pressure in the correct range (port your ofh) the rebuild should last a long time. Is your exhaust manifold twin scroll? If not, I would switch to a t3 ts manifold and a divided 16cm or smaller exhaust housing. That setup would yield you the best of both worlds, phenomenal spool but still capable of over 650whp. In fact, I may even try switching back to a ported 2g manifold and a .55 bolt-on housing on my car to see how it affects spool-up and top-end compared to my existing ts t4 setup.

Wasnt it like 640+whp at around 44psi with the bolt on housing hx40 that someone made a little while back? That turbo was running under 50psi making that much power in the bolt on housing. I cant wait to run one.
44psi? no he did 650+ at 40psi.

He went back to the dyno and made a little higher at 44psi :): http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/334299-holset-hx40-makes-685hp-584tq.html

I'm fairly certain that's not just an hx40 record, but a .55 a/r housing record. You can get that same housing with a t3 flange or MHI flange. I dont' know any t350/o-p-q-trim turbine wheel (t350 is what FP uses for their high powered turbos) turbo to ever do that on a BEP .55 housing or any bolton turbo to ever do this high. The hx40 turbine wheel is a serious wheel to put that kind of airflow through the small bep housing. What can it do with a bigger housing? . . .

im happy with the 40 but to spend 400 to rebuild Id rather replace with something new
Who the hell's charging you that much? Does it need both wheels replaced or something?

44psi? no he did 650+ at 40psi.

He went back to the dyno and made a little higher at 44psi :): http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/334299-holset-hx40-makes-685hp-584tq.html

I'm fairly certain that's not just an hx40 record, but a .55 a/r housing record. You can get that same housing with a t3 flange or MHI flange. I dont' know any t350/o-p-q-trim turbine wheel (t350 is what FP uses for their high powered turbos) turbo to ever do that on a BEP .55 housing or any bolton turbo to ever do this high. The hx40 turbine wheel is a serious wheel to put that kind of airflow through the small bep housing. What can it do with a bigger housing? . . .

Yea thats what I want to see. Im trying to shut Jack here in the springs UP!! He keeps talking down on my holset choice. One of his builds just made over 600whp uncorrected in Rocky mountain air on a 30r. Thats just amazing for our altitude. I want to show him these hx40's can make good power up here.

Jack knows better than that. Anyone who can make 600whp with a 52lb/min turbo can make 800whp with a 68lb/min turbo. If he doesn't know at least a little about wheel technology, how can he say one way or the other? If he does have some fluid dynamics under his belt, then he can see why the results others have shown go along with the wheel design.

Another guy, dacowgod, made 575 whp with the wastegate blowing open on the Buschur mustang dyno at the shootout. Not a dynojet like his gt30r build. What's 18% more than 575whp :) ?

Imagine what these turbines can do in more than a .55 a/r BEP housing. . .

gorf said:
I just moved to a 20G from E3 16G. I just started trying to tune it so I am no guru yet.

My first impressions, the 20g actually starts spooling quicker than the e3, but reaches full boost a couple hundred rpm later. The 16g is known for hitting boost and power band all at once. The 20g starts pulling at lower RPM and just keeps pulling! This makes it much more streetable than the e3 and gives more HP potential. Cost - look for a used one, there is guy on this board that rebuilds and sells 20G's for under $500.

is that on a td05 or tdo6 20g? Im looking into the 20g as well.

td05 from big 16g ported out to 7cm and o2 ported out the same size as a e3 16g. internally gated. The more I drive it the more I like it. So far my biggest problem is that my dodgemod 1g bov will start to flutter at 25 psi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back