The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

no front sway bar! [Merged 9-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
Well not exactly, I was doing some tranny work to my car and my friend pointed out that I had no endlink on the left side of the front sway bar?? WTF I bought this car off an autocrosser it has adjustable shocks buts that about it is this an autocrossing secrect??

If I was to disconnect and remove my front sway bar for autocross this Sunday would it cause any damage or just be alot of fun? I figure that would give me some oversteer and be alot of fun...I have heard of some local auto-xer's doing this, i am missing the drivers side frond end link so it would be too much trouble to remove it...but thanks alot for your help

If one end-link is already missing, then why bother to remove the bar? Leaving it in the car has the distinct advantage of making it easier to reconnect when your experiment convinces you that you need the front bar.

- Jtoby

Defiant said:
God, it must drive like a dream.

Hmm. Most people would describe it as "loose" or "ass-happy," but you say it's a "dream." Oh, wait! Now I get it. You're still single, aren't you? ;)

- Jtoby

I think if one endlink is already off, you should also take off the other one. It'll balance out the weight. :thumb:

Jehu said:
I think if one endlink is already off, you should also take off the other one. It'll balance out the weight. :thumb:

Oh, com'on. Do you know what an end-link weighs?

Also, if you take both off, how are you going to keep the bar from banging into things?

- Jtoby

I had hoped that the statement was over the top enough it would be very apparent that it was facetious...guess not.

I ran mine disconnect a few weeks ago after I had a off and destroyed a control arm and the sway bar endlink..... I liked the car better after it was disconnected........... Then again I was on ice/snow....

Cheers
Larry

Attachments

• IMGP0157.jpg
    IMGP0157.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 447
Well, I thank you for your help (most of you), the others one who thought it would be a good idea to make sarcastic coments or degrading (i.e. "balance the weight out" .... go somewhere where asinine comments are found funny. Only reason why I wanted to take the bar completly off is to keep it from sliding around and making a bunch of unwanted noise. And yes, this whole idea was just to have a little bit of fun at autocross, not a serious "performance" upgrade or even an upgrade at all, it would be JUST FOR FUN and thats it. My actuall question was if I was to take off the front sway bar would it do ANY damage. Now if the other half of you guys that made useless comments couldnt understand the context of the question then don't post! Don't waste everyones time. Now if anyone has some real information to post here, then please do. I appreciate everyone who actually gave me their time to elaborate and/or "sort of" answer my question. I am 99.9% sure that it wont, but I just want to make sure it wont damage anything else.

And if you read a little more carefully, you'd realise what people are saying...If one end link is already disconnected, that means your sway bar IS NOT DOING ANY WORK ANYWAY, which then means, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IF YOU TAKE THE WHOLE THING OFF. Hope this is clear enough now. :thumb:

Look, it was a pretty silly question, to be blunt -- not really worth posting in anything "above" the newbies' forum. But instead of just ignoring it, we answered the question and then we paid ourselves back by having a few giggles. Relax. Life is too short.

Have fun autocrossing. If the car is still pushing but now also snap-spins, look for the various thread on weight transfer and roll resistance to see why this is happening.

- Jtoby

He was completely aware of the fact that this is a bad idea if he was trying to improve his times, but he just wanted to know if it would hurt anything. He has been driving it with one side disconnected, but it doesn't mean it's not going to hurt anything or hasn't already. The end-links we got the other day were the wrong part so he's without a car at autocross unless he just goes without a front bar. Judging by the snap oversteer he was getting at the last autocross, it may have been disconnected already, but he just wanted to make sure he wasn't going to destroy anything.
Also, he is aware of body roll and roll resistance. His "to do" list includes RM DSM bars and either coil-overs or Eibach's with adjustable Koni's.

Just thought I'd clear that up. :D

BTW that snow/rally cross looks like heaven. I'd like to try it sometime...

Alright so Im doing a drag FWD car (only for 1/4mile) and wanted to know if removing the front sway bar will help in anyway

If the car is track only (drag that is) I guess it wouldn't hurt to take it off but if you are driving it on the street much I'd just leave it on.

I broken a end link trying to remove it one time and on the drive to the part store, it felt like driving a marshmellow every time the steering wheel was turned. Definitely leave it on your daily driver. Not worth removing and reinstalling for track days neither since you gotta drop crossmembers for a negligible amount of weight.

well I have a fwd and it seems to help out when launching by the feel of things maybe cause it keeps the towers workining together but thats my opinion, try both ways and see which one you like better if you can even tell a difference :thumb:

well looks like ill be just removing it :)

ok did a lot of research in here trying every thread i could ........will taking off my front sway bar help reduse my front end push???????ive read several articles saying yes and several saying no .........i race dirt track and make left hand turns only .....i need a opinion here from one of you seasoned vetrens in here asap........i need some help on getting the push out of my car .thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back