The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

95eclipser's 1999 GSX - Street/Track Build - 2009-Present

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Build Update 4/30/18

Got all my parts back from my buddy. Powder coat came out good and I saved a decent amount of money.
IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

Throttle body is done and put back together will Mil-Spec seals, and painted black.
IMG_3783.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

I also decide to clean up some wires. De-pinned them, and used a combination of Raychem DR-25 and Wire sleeve to make new wires. The OEM Mitsubishi sleeve stuff is too bulky, and breaks down with heat over time. Still got a long ways to go, but figured out what wires to keep which to wrap back into the harness and hide etc. I need to order some new connectors, as I broke some retaining clips.

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

Last edited:
This post might not help anyone but I want to document it, since it shows the condition of my wires and how lazy people can be when it comes to wiring cars.
I might also use this to look back on and check on some wiring colors. But honestly this link below has been a huge help in fixing some of my wiring.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-engine-bay-electrical-connections.298047/

After I de-loomed the harness and marked the connectors
IMG_3787.JPG

Wires and pins on the injectors were actually in good shape. But I do need to replace to connectors as the retaining clip broke when I was removing the pins.
IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

Here you see where I used a combination of Loom and Raychem heat shrink.
IMG_3793.JPG

TPS Wires/Connector
IMG_E3794.JPG

My CAS wires and connector were in really bad shape. It just fell apart in my hand as I started to mess with it. I have ordered a new pigtail from one of the vendors on here. But as you can see my wire don't match factory as they have been modified.
IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

Coolant temp Plug here. The connector and wires just fell apart in my hand when I started to mess with them. Ordered a new pigtail.
IMG_3797.JPG

This is my Coil pack connector. Don't ask me what's going on here cause I don't really know. I am running a 7 bolt with 1G CAS and this is how the harness came. I'm just cleaning up the wires and leaving it alone.
IMG_E3798.JPG

Here is the connector my Coil pack plugs into. Looks like the stock CPS sensor has been modified. My CPS was not installed on this car, i noticed when I did my timing belt a couple years back.
IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

Here is the ICS connector for the TB and Front o2. These will be eliminated as im not using either anymore, so I will just roll them back into the harness.
IMG_E3802.JPG

Engine Control Connector / ignition has also been messed with. I depinned it and had some Raychem shrink to the wires.
IMG_3805.JPG

IMG_E3806.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

Last edited:
So the wire work is pretty much completed as of Saturday. Moved on to cleaning up the bay and pressure washing Etc etc.

Decided the last thing I wanted to do before reassembly, was a little paint work on the front end. Bought some color match spray cans from “automotive touch up paint” and went to work. Wasn’t expecting anything fancy just wanted some fresh paint and I was good.

AB74F463-4EE7-4A67-B3CD-4335ED6EF029.jpeg

4DDF7D5C-9982-4F4F-A365-9C7AD5DB790A.jpeg

B52E5D11-9902-400C-97B0-3D2BAE6489FA.jpeg

0479662E-10F7-493A-93C2-C5A18255B320.jpeg

Attachments

• 82A43003-2D90-4551-88CC-F32E32D17E26.jpeg
    82A43003-2D90-4551-88CC-F32E32D17E26.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Starting to come back together.

I ran into some issues reinstalling stuff around the Evo 3 manifold. Still have a lot of parts to install, and waiting on some powder coating to be finished.
More updates coming soon.

IMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

Lookin good! Except for the wiper motor loom having a ton of overspray on it LOL.

And yeah, wiring is simple if you take your time. I enjoy the tedious work. Just label everything and you are good to go. Label label label.

Lookin good! Except for the wiper motor loom having a ton of overspray on it LOL.

And yeah, wiring is simple if you take your time. I enjoy the tedious work. Just label everything and you are good to go. Label label label.

labeling and pictures! i could not agree more. I'm glad i took so many pictures cause it really helped me with some wires I wasn't sure about.

Haha yes the overspray looks terrible, but rain started rolling in out of nowhere and I needed to get it finished and covered asap. I'll wipe it off later with paint remover.

Just waiting on the powder coating to be done, And then I can put it all back together.

Here is what is being powder coated:
Brake and clutch brackets
intercooler pipes
hood prop
pwr steering res
fuse box bracket

IMG_3936.JPG

Last edited:
So I spent last night working on the GSX after i got off work. I got it to a point where I could probably start it because I had enough major parts installed, and I'm running SD. First off my battery was completely dead, obviously something is draining it. But that's for another day.

Bought a new battery, threw it in and....... nothing, no power, no dash lights, nothing. Started looking at fuses. Saw my 30amp fuse was blown. Decided to throw a spare one in and it blew again....

So I turned to tuners and found a good thread that pointed to possible issues, that would cause this. Turns out, I was grounding out my Noise resistor connector. Quick fix and had power back to my car and no more blowing fuses.

Decided to crank the car... nothing. I confirmed I'm getting fuel, but no spark because I grounded out a plug. So I started looking at all my wire for the coil pack. When I looked closer look at my coil pack pig tail it turns out one of the pins had backed out of the connector. The retaining clip is broken inside so it wont seat all the way in. Order a new connector from @OHM_Racer last night. :thumb:

Hopefully the car will start up this weekend. More pictures coming soon!

Last edited:
So the car is pretty much back together. It is getting fuel & spark but doesn't seem to like something.
Haven't really had much time to mess with it. Hoping to work on it more this weekend.

Ordered a new IAT connector from OHM racing as well.

31F1DA3B-D534-455D-B9E6-222236AEF870.jpeg
56CE0D91-B2B4-42D9-8406-12B728588B4B.jpeg

45714734-9878-4FD9-B0AB-18CD9D9F12F8.jpeg

1D0FED81-AC6F-4054-9872-6CE2DF54807D.jpeg

Did you disconnect you crank sensor? I did this and found it would not start LOL, have you checked and verified all sensors are connected and seated correctly

Did you disconnect you crank sensor? I did this and found it would not start LOL, have you checked and verified all sensors are connected and seated correctly

As of now yes. I have verified that everything is connected correctly, and the car is cranking, spark is getting to the plugs and I have verified fuel is spraying... So im lost.
Unfortunately my car is a 7 bolt with a 1G Cas installed. So my coil pack, and cas are wired into each other this was done by the previous owners years ago. I did have to lengthen some wires, and replace some connectors. So there is a chance I caused something..

I also ordered a new starter as well. It felt like it wasn't engaging all the way..

Im trying to read up more on the MPI, but if I am able to connect to my ecu, log,and turn the fans on and off. ( I did this as a check when reinstalling my fans)
then that would mean the MPI and ECU are working correct?

-New starter arrives today.
-New mail coil pack connector arrived yesterday.

Also Im planning to go buy a new "Coolant temp sensor" Just cause. Their cheap enough for me to eliminate it as a faulty cause, and I keep seeing threads on this forum about them when it comes to hard starts.

bad MPI and crank sensor would mean no fuel no spark. I have had a bad coolant temp sensor cause no start. Start a log on link and see what your coolant temp is, if its something crazy then there ya go!

Looks like it might be the ECT sensor... I'm in the same boat as you and arrived to that conclusion. I'm going to install a new oem one in mine this weekend. Let's hope that's what the problem is!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back