The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Ricky's 1998 GSX Street/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

October 17

Well guys, I haven't forgotten about my GSX. It was at the shop for about 3 weeks back in June/July and once I had gotten the car back I started playing more with my evo 8. Mainly because it was summer and it was nice to be out driving something rather than wrenching. So after nearly 5 months, i'm back at it again.

During the summer I did a few things to my 8, did a JDM rear end and touched up the bay a bit. Love having a stealthy engine bay that packs a decent punch ;)

C4C3F263-3597-4CC1-B760-C76E4105DE76_zpssgsthoxg.jpg
BB7C1ECE-DC30-4C77-8AAD-65DE303A0715_zpspeholpz0.jpg
EEF6A984-7327-4F93-9809-589ED2BFD5A4_zpsbgqh1wyz.jpg

Now, the car is repaired, perfectly. I can't wait to get it back together and have some photos done. It really excited me to get the car back, i thought the car was really clean before. It's even more motivating having it back and pretty.

Well, over the course of the summer I had my build on my gsx in the back of my head often. But really couldn't justify spending a large amount of money on another built motor. I'm not seeking a huge amount of power immediately so my main concern changed to cleaning things up and getting the car running reliably. I still plan to run the HX40 but don't have many intentions on really pushing it.
SO, with that said these were the things that happened today:

Removed insulation on fire wall
Removed Power Steering
Removed ABS (which has been bad for 4 years)
Removed factory clutch line

these are the changes that I will be making:

JNZ ABS delete kit
ExtremePSI SS Clutchline
OEM Slave
Jays racing alternator relocation kit

If things play out correctly i'd like to paint my bay as well. But we'll see how that works out. Currently don't have a good space do so. I picked up and additional harness. This was I can really focus on doing a real wire tuck rather than zip tying and taping back wires.

As for the rest of the build, I got a great deal on a running 6 bolt motor and a head. So I ordered up a head gasket and got to work on the bay. Here are some pictures.

Heres the before:
59F949AE-363C-4F4E-B0B7-8852B8276433_zpsrijkbwkx.jpg

This picture is after removing:
Power Steering
ABS Lines
Insulation
Brake Fluid Reservoir
Factory Clutchline
And a few more things

19A8FC5B-CA88-40E7-802D-747F88F6A558_zpsacjd18o1.jpg

And... If you keep your eyes open you might see another project peeking out..

3C6DE4A0-F99F-4E4D-8114-BA7580432CFB_zpse82icmyb.jpg

AE701A77-776F-43DA-BF72-EE420C12A2C9_zpshnmvci4y.jpg

Not too long ago I snagged another 98 GSX. After the current build i'll be starting on that :)

Last edited:
October 23rd

Well, I started a bit more last week. The car sat for awhile while I was waiting on the head gasket. After some downtime and studying I had a little time to get to the garage. I timed the motor and then did a a quick cleaning on my timing cover.

CC2E1BCE-2A3F-41E5-A693-F8E826E44EC0_zpssik8v4zj.jpg

All clean!
0515FB72-B6F8-4ADB-AD5A-BA18AF58FD31_zpssgj0ip9s.jpg

Because this is a 6 bolt swap, I took my time shaving away at the timing cover
. Last time I got fed up and cut it apart like there was no tomorrow. Doing so prevented my from being able to run an upper cover. So this time around I decided to really take my time and make sure it was done with an upper cover in mind. (PS. had I had a 2g cover, I would have used that.)

0CA470A9-04A0-44A5-9259-B04C4CEB092B_zpsdw1bzfjl.jpg

Installed the cover and got my alternator in. I then broke out the loctite and installed the flywheel and clutch. Then got my transmission bolted up to the motor. I really wanted to get the tranny cleaned up better. I was really wanting to try out the aluma blast product, but due to time constraints and the likeliness of pulling this motor again soon; I cleaned it the best I could with brake cleaner, purple power, simple green, and an assortment of brushes.

After doing so, I assembled the engine hoist and got to work.

27A7D4AB-E14A-4817-AEF0-AC424B58CD66_zpsqs55hloc.jpg

After about 20 minutes and borrowing a hand from my old man, we had it in and bolted up.

D786BCCD-A746-41EE-9DF6-CFEF97BD9EC8_zpspewo4p3g.jpg

After getting the motor in, I wanted to relocate things on my fire wall so that way they are hidden. So I got my intake manifold in, JMF coil pack relocation in, and ac bracket mounted. Then went to work.
4045F7CC-0A87-4A31-A3D6-61652A79B5AE_zpskejpemfm.jpg

Threw the FP manifold on to see how it would look, then regretted it seeing how much the ceramic coat that was already on it before purchasing sucks.
21F1373D-4B67-44A7-A1DC-93FE27FBE3F7_zpssfvffkd9.jpg

After this I did a few small things, bolted up the transfer case, ran some wire for my alarm, and put the axles back in. I then began to run into more issues while mounting the turbo. Aside from not having proper exhaust hardware OEM o2 housing bolts or new turbo bolts; my water pipe was in the way. Generally i've seen people bash them in, shave off metal, or run spacers. Well, maybe I should have researched; but by the way a 1g TURBO water pipe will not work. The welded fitting for the turbo coolant line WILL make you want to shoot a unicorn. So, currently i'm searching for a 1g NA water pipe.

but here is where I stopped this week.

48C54636-445E-4FB0-90BC-9665D6DBDE79_zpsbter1vaz.jpg

And a quick piece of motivation to get this car back together...
929B1022-1F3E-4E15-AAB9-7ABCF52B22AF_zpsj6hqfrin.jpg

Dude haha wth? How are you keeping up with four cars? Im literally killing myself over what to throw money at, my 2g or Evo. Either way keep it up!

Dude haha wth? How are you keeping up with four cars? Im literally killing myself over what to throw money at, my 2g or Evo. Either way keep it up!

To be honest man, it's hard. I love my GSX. My ownership with this car will likely outlast any of my others. I picked up my black GSX for a trade so my financial investment in that was not immediate cash; otherwise I would not own it. While building my Evo 8 I neglected my GSX for a good amount of time. But since that is finished i've decided to look into my DSM. I already had most of the parts, now it's coming down to time. The evo is fun to throw money at because the platform is much more advanced than a dsm and you can acquire power much faster and cheaper; the downside is the initial investment and the "evo tax" LOL.

What journey! that car has been trough alot
It sure has man, and that journey won't be ending soon!!!

Greqa builds but WTF were you thinking putting an sti badge on an evo 8 at least its in back where they belong/stay LOL
LOL I was waiting for somebody to notice. I'm just a troll. I like evo's and STI's all the same. I just decided that having a fast car was more exciting, that's all ;)

Well, hoping to get to the car today. Here are my objectives

-Finish wiring the siren
-Mount siren in place of ABS module
-Install drivers side brake line
-Install Passenger axle
-Install passenger side brake line
-Install and modify water pipe for HX40
-install Turbo, manifold, and o2 housing.

If i worked fast, which doesn't happen because i'm so meticulous, I should have this done in a couple hours. Then I'll tackle any tasks that I find.

OCTOBER 30th

Well, after a long week I finally made it to the car a couple days ago. I managed to get the following done off my list.

-Finish wiring the siren
-Mount siren in place of ABS module
-Install drivers side brake line
-Install Passenger axle
-Install passenger side brake line
-Install and modify water pipe for HX40
-install Turbo, manifold, and o2 housing

In addition this what I also got done:

-Installed the oil feed line W/ fitting for oil pressure gauge
-Installed oil return line
-Connected the wiring harness
-Cleaned up the starter wiring
-Installed intercooler
-Installed drivers side headlight
-Installed front bumper
-Relocated factory horn
-Installed throttle cable
-Installed thermostat housing

..Yes, that's the entire list! Whoop! So, I have a few things left before filling fluids. I picked up an adapter for the 12AN Oil return line. Which is now installed nicely. I then installed the oil feed with a t fitting for oil pressure which I will still need to get a restricter (which is likely due to having BSE kit and not OFH port). If anybody has some insight to shed, please do so. Here is a few pictures of the progress:

F653CEE8-F4A5-448E-BC64-95DE2C2F0395_zps8ib97a6o.jpg

I'm hiding most of my wiring under the intake manifold. My goal is to tuck my spare harness so none of the unused crap is ziptied back.

7C5D347F-0869-4852-86B5-DC209E283102_zpspikcizgv.jpg

Most expensive, smallest, stupid line ever. But at least it's pretty!
38733630-D3A7-455D-9435-4B7F66A3638F_zpstnotcaeh.jpg

9F5C9F9C-6465-4AFF-9DE6-45A8C0165259_zpstmu0g25m.jpg

SO.... This is my most favorite part of this post. Many years ago I thought carbon fiber was really cool... So I bought a CF hood. Well, traded a red hood. Which was a mistake. So after doing so, I never had a red hood.. And now I do :). After all these months, this is the first time I had got to see my car back together after paint, needless to say I could not have been more in love. I'll throw some pics below.

FAA09715-B80B-4D4D-AA3C-F4B045793A4E_zpsel9dd4s2.jpg

2BA26A16-1FC4-41FB-BA7A-4520901A78EB_zpskmlnylui.jpg

C69A5C7D-226A-4782-A2C8-774DBC85B385_zps7jpqf1wq.jpg

Now.. Here is the last bit I need to do and buy

-Install radiator
-Purchase/fabricate radiator hoses
-Install brake fluid reservoir
-Install clutch fluid reservoir
-Install SS clutchline
-Install Slave Cyl
-Bleed clutch
-Bleed brakes
-Tap LICP for boost source
-Install downpipe

Need to purchase
-oil restricter
-oil
-trans fluid
-tcase fluid
- 90 degree 2.5"-2.75" coupler

Hopefully it'll be together soon!

Shmexy gsx. I'm a bit partial of course.

Shmexy gsx. I'm a bit partial of course.

Haha, ofcourse!

Well, I grabbed the camera and shot a few photos.

PS: I know my hood isn't closing properly. I relocated my brake fluid reservoir and I need to adjust it down because it's not clearing the hood; which I feared but went with it anyway.

564966A7-5016-41FB-95CE-8FD14429A515_zpsldmi9f7s.jpg

0C42E9FF-7FAA-4017-A5AF-7063A2CC1A0E_zpszcwscdlj.jpg

6BC738D6-6088-469E-A7E1-EC6EC699B263_zpsvy3pfp3g.jpg

59B17888-0DE0-4F76-B5D2-19EC0AB82818_zpsw5iyle05.jpg

0F174172-1EFD-47E4-ABC1-CB9395225B82_zpswg9mf1mz.jpg

I managed to get the car running. It's doing well. Responding to throttle.
Have a slight tune on it so far. Only issue i'm running into is the heater core hoses stopping the q45 from opening all the way.

Hope to have some more pictures and videos for you guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back