The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Aaron's 1997 GSX - Street/AutoX/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just read through your whole build thread. Sorry to hear about the blown motor, but it looks like you are well on your way to getting it going again soon! Amazing build and great job in autocross. Good luck with the motor assembly and I look forward to seeing more updates soon!

UPDATE: 4/25/2016

Well, the weekend didn’t go as planned, but I did get somewhere.

Right now, my biggest issue is thrust bearings/washers. Here’s what’s going on. My bearing set didn’t come with any thrust washers or thrust bearings, which is an oversight on my part I believe.

Now…I’ve been reading all morning and I’m more confused and very worried. On Saturday when I started the build, the had to remove the main thrust bearing from my girdle, this was the SINGLE piece bearing and it was on the GIRDLE. Doesn’t the thrust bearing go on the engine side?

When I disassembled the block, memory tells me that it had the thrust washers, 3-piece bearing, on the engine side.

But everything I’m reading says its either one or the other? So I’m confused as to why it had both? Or my memory is reminding me of the original motor I tore down, or the 4g64 (but idk is n/t 4g64s had a split thrust?)

And to make things worse, I ordered ACL Main bearings for a 97-99, but I know think this block is an earlier 97, based on the single thrust piece bearing I pulled off the girdle. And I was told I cant used 97-99 main bearings in a 95-early 97 block…

UPDATE: 4/26/2016

Well, I tore the block back doen to make sure I got the answers I needed.

Girdle

IMG_20160425_174034170_zps0kptjboc.jpg

Block

IMG_20160425_174858712_zps2mrgvhd4.jpg

Looks like I do indeed have a early 7-Bolt block

Great looking car man loving the build

Thanks!

Motor is looking good. Keep it up.

Was curious what is your race alignment specs?

Wheel alignment isnt anything crazy, its around -2 degrees on all four corners.

UPDATE: 4/28/2016

Taking a step back to refocus and regroup.

Okay, so I got the correct bearings and I decided to do a BSE as well. Those parts came in yesterday. I have torn the block back down to nothing, besides the head studs. I plan on doing a complete clean and get it all ready for round 2 of the assembly.

I also have a few other things in the works, one of which is going to be a very bittersweet moment for me and Wendy.

Stay tuned for pictures and more progress!

UPDATE: 5/9/2016

I should have named this build: A DSMers never ending rollercoaster of triumph and defeat.

I woke up early on Mothers day to finish gapping my new set of rings and to get the pistons/rods installed before the family came over. So the rotating assembly was complete, and then I started rotating it…

After checking everything, re-torqueing, swearing, crying, beers, talk with DSM people, internet searching, more beer….it turns out I have a piston slap problem. Watch for yourself.

Hear that noise?

th_temp_zps5mzbumlb.mp4.jpg

This is that noise…

th_temp_2_zpsl66vxzyv.mp4.jpg

So I pulled out the numbers from my machine shop. ALL they did was measure my clearances for stock bore and stock sized pistons, hot tanked and a quick ball hone to clean up the walls a tad. Machine shop notes below. I was told 85mm pistons with new rings would work fine.

IMG_20160509_071019775_zpsql6hlnge.jpg

I’m mad at myself more than anything else.

When I get home today, I’m going to try to get some measurements on the bore and pistons. I honestly don’t have the correct mic and bore gauges, but I’m going to do what I can.

Send me your motivation….

UPDATE: 5/17/2016

This past weekend I was asked to help teach/instruct rookie drivers. In a nut shell I spent the entire day driving these bad boys. This was a completely surreal experience. I drove them hard and really put the supercar” status to the test.

FB_IMG_1463399946358_zpsljv9330g.jpg

In conclusion, the Gallardo is just a savage and raw car full of madness. The 458 Italia is a pure drivers car. Very well behaved, while putting all its power down and you wouldn’t believe how well it handled. I LOVED driving both, but would take the 458 over the Gallardo if I had to choose.

FB_IMG_1463400005104_zpsvpechwc9.jpg[/URL
]

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/received_1013690802047750_zpshmeyyawg.jpeg.html]received_1013690802047750_zpshmeyyawg.jpe[/URL
]
[/URL]

What's the word on doing your own measurement's,?
FYI I spent hours and hours taking X & Y measurements at each bore at all heights and same for pistons.....
I bought my tools of Amazon for about 80 bucks.. That includes the sizes from pistons and rods. You can probably pay less.... But I would not trust the crank specs either... Better off checking.

What's the word on doing your own measurement's,?
FYI I spent hours and hours taking X & Y measurements at each bore at all heights and same for pistons.....
I bought my tools of Amazon for about 80 bucks.. That includes the sizes from pistons and rods. You can probably pay less.... But I would not trust the crank specs either... Better off checking.

As of right now, the build is on hold while I figure out exactly what direction I want to go.

Im will most likely be dropping the block off at a machine shop, and asking them to take a few hoours to figure out exaclty where I went wrong with the assembly and what the PTW clearance is.

...but the best stay the Eclipse?:D

I love my Eclipse, but the 458 Italia is in a whole different league.

UPDATE: 5/24/2016

I’m not really sure where to begin. If your friends with me on Facebook or if you’ve seen my classifieds ads, you already know.

Wendy and I have parted ways over the weekend. Between my motor woahs and being made a very good offer on her shell and AWD parts, it just seemed like the smart choice. I spent about 14 hours stripping her of everything I wanted, which was quite a bit actually, and got her ready for her new owner. I’ve kept everything I feel necessary and have started to sell off parts that aren’t essential to a new build.

Parts im hoping to keep:
- Billet 20g
- DSMlink V3 with SD Setup
- Fuel (Injectors/Pump)
- My built rotating assembly
- ARP Studs
- New Timing Belt Kit
- Complete Gasket Kit
- Clutch

My game plan, so far, is to make back as much $ as possible, in the hopes of having enough cash to get back in the game without any out of pocket expense.

Her AWD parts, gas tank, etc will be going into a built 6-bolt Spyder.

Its been a rollercoaster of emotions. Between knowing that she is not in my garage and the possibilities of a new build, I’m just not sure how I feel, but what’s done is done and I stand by my choice. :/

Time to refocus and regroup.

Today will be spent with the wife, as we are celebrating 2 years of marriage. :)

IMG_20160521_201116942_zpsvf0sbvaa.jpg

IMG_20160521_201108953_HDR_zpsevau12hl.jpg

UPDATE: 6/1/2016

Well...where do I begin?? It’s been ONE HELL OF A ROLLER COASTER these past few weeks. Way to many ups and downs when it comes to the direction I wanted to take my DSM passion. Upon much, much deliberation with friends, family, coworkers and the all important wife, it looks like Wendy 2.0 will be built!

I have a lot to get done in 77 days.

77 days you ask? Yes, 77 days until the ShootOut. That’s my goal, that my motivation, that’s my plan. I have all the parts to build a shell, besides a transmission.

The great thing? I ALREADY HAVE A CLEAN RUST FREE AWD Shell…..Yes, that’s right. I’m going to bring it home next weekend.

STAY TUNED! Things are going to get good.

Taking a break sometimes is good. I stepped out of the "scene" for 3-4 years and it was the best thing I could have done. Saved money, less stress, wasn't always thinking about cars or events. Maybe you should try that.

UPDATE: 6/21/2016

Well, here she is! I picked up the shell a few weeks back and have been slowly organizing everything and trying to come up with a game plan for the build. So far, my goal to build a running, driving, racing car for the ShootOut. As you’ll see the in the photos below, I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Loaded up!

_20160609_205448_zpsy4cksgmk.jpg

In the garage.

IMG_20160610_174636958_HDR_zpselxn8j9r.jpg

Minor engine bay tuck, upgraded wiring and huge fuel lines.

1465656485310_zpsmde9gony.jpg

I picked up a running 7-Bolt to drop into the car. I’ll do the water pump and all the timing of course.

IMG_20160610_231358021_zpskiubtydh.jpg[/URL
]

Wendy’s hatch.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1465656392779_zpshvttlalv.jpg.html]1465656392779_zpshvttlalv.jpg[/URL
]

And doors…and my numbers.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1465658837799_zpswrw9njkp.jpg.html]1465658837799_zpswrw9njkp.jpg[/URL
]

Like I said, lots to do.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1465659160784_zpszsss2tjp.jpg.html]1465659160784_zpszsss2tjp.jpg[/URL
]

Starting to look like a car again.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160620_215910283_zpsrqo43qdm.jpg.html]IMG_20160620_215910283_zpsrqo43qdm.jpg[/URL
]

More to come this week.
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Hey don't mean to pry, but I'm having trouble following??

Why strip your car,sell your shell and then buy a shell, then reassemble.
?

Been answering this question a lot. LOL

Basically, yes. Looking back through my build, you will notice Wendys shell was getting very rusty in some bad spots. Besides the strut towers, the passenger fender had a softball sized hold in the top, at the back. The driver side motor mount back plate was almost gone and the rear uni-body where the subframe mounts are were not in the best shape.

Soooo....I was made an offer on the shell with the AWD parts for a Spyder swap. I took the $, knowing about this Talon for sale for at a GREAT price with a TON of parts to go with it.

Not to mention, this black AWD shell is completely rust free! And has a large amount of work done to it. Now as you can see, it needs a lot of work still, but the positives outwhey the negatives. And with everything from Wendy, I have everything I need to assemble this DSM.

On paper it makes sense. The leg work to get it where you want it to be... Well that's the challenging part. Looks like your off to a good start tho!

Best of luck. Keep the updates coming.

Besides small things here and thereI, I have everything to build a running driving car. Ill be putting in a lot of time this weekend, so some updates should be coming soon.

Are you going to bring her back with p88?

As of right now, im not sure. My main goal is to have her at the ShootOut running and racing. She may not look pretty but she will perform.

When it comes to a universal body color, I cannot justify paying a paint shop $2500+ for a paint job on a car that will be for race/fun only. Im a DIY kind of person, so ive been thinking of painting it myself at some point. I may even get some dip.

Ive also been looking into the $50 paint job. So we will see!

Besides small things here and thereI, I have everything to build a running driving car. Ill be putting in a lot of time this weekend, so some updates should be coming soon.

As of right now, im not sure. My main goal is to have her at the ShootOut running and racing. She may not look pretty but she will perform.

When it comes to a universal body color, I cannot justify paying a paint shop $2500+ for a paint job on a car that will be for race/fun only. Im a DIY kind of person, so ive been thinking of painting it myself at some point. I may even get some dip.

Ive also been looking into the $50 paint job. So we will see!

You get what you pay for in paint.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back