The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Aaron's 1997 GSX - Street/AutoX/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPDATE: 1/24/2016

Now that the holidays have died down, the build can move forward. I have picked up the used motor I bought and have it in my garage. I have begun to start tearing it down, having only removed the easy stuff to be sold to help recoup and buy some new parts.

As of right now, I think ill need to get a new clutch, Ill have to get some pictures up soon. It just doesnt look to be in good shape after 2 AX seasons. However, it always held, so im not sure.

Im DEF going to have to get a new Fly-Wheel. Stock one looks really bad. Ill grab pictures soon.

I need to take some time and get my garage organized before I really get into the build. I hate having stuff all over the place. I plan on picking up some storage totes to help keep things organized.

Pictures to come!

keep it up dude, long haul from here in but your doing well with sticking with it

UPDATE: 1/27/2016

Got the motor tore down a bit more last night. Was surprised to find ARP head studs and an intact HG when I pulled the VC & head.

IMG_20160126_185145502_zpsshjuwhrn.jpg

I dropped the pan as well. LOTS of small metal shavings. My bad for the horrible pictures.

IMG_20160126_185130059_zps0jgvpwxg.jpg

And the bottom end as I left it. Im having a very hard time getting the crank pully to slide off. Going to work on it more tonight.

IMG_20160126_185840524_zpsfsxg0tg4.jpg

UPDATE: 1/28/2016

Well.....look at what has happened!!

IMG_20160127_192631720_zpsbbw5gth7.jpg

Picked up a complete, running 4g64 from a NT Spyder for $100.

Here's what im thinking, 4g63 block + 4g64 Crank = 2.3 Stroker Monster (the ultimate street/AX setup)

Way more to come. :)

UPDATE: 2/8/2016

I was FINALLY able to get the crank bolt loose. I threw in the towel, loaded the block up and took it to a local Mitsubishi dealer. A service tech hit it with an impact and it came off in 3 seconds. And to think I broke two ½ inch ratchets trying to break it loose. Anyway, the block is bare!

IMG_20160206_165903977_zpsxgutejqr.jpg

I also picked up some rods!!!! Used, with very low miles, Eagle H-Beams for a very good price.

Snapchat--7011959497229986893_zpswc9t228d.jpg[/URL
]

Now that the 4g63 block is bare and ready for a good cleaning and hot tank, I plan on getting the 4g64 tore down.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160206_165855373_zpsdn2e7mmt.jpg.html]IMG_20160206_165855373_zpsdn2e7mmt.jpg[/URL
]

One thing I’m really looking forward to is being able to really clean up my garage/workspace. So many parts laying around, the clutter needs to go.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160206_165912561_zps6dz70bjc.jpg.html]IMG_20160206_165912561_zps6dz70bjc.jpg
[/URL][/URL]

Curious when you hit full boost on that 20g. Have any logs you can share?

On a completely stock long block and IM w/ an FP Race Manifold. I see 20+ PSI at 3700rpm. This is on 93 oct, very minor timing changes, running SD with V3, 750s and a 255pump. However, once I switched to E85, I was seeing 1psi at 1900rpm, which slowely spooled and then I had 20+psi by 3500rpm. For my car/setup, I like this, as I dont want the boost to hit to hard while im on track. Going E85 definately woke this car up. Ill never go back. Once this 20g hit 20+ psi she just hit and put you right back in the seat.

UPDATE: 3/17/2016

Block and head are back! Head has been cleaned and the block was hot tanked and ball honed and I ordered pistons! Took my block and crank out to be measured and had the crank polished.

IMG_20160306_104032036_zpsvzsufqlq.jpg[/URL
]

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160306_104018999_zpslj6rsw0d.jpg.html]IMG_20160306_104018999_zpslj6rsw0d.jpg

Pistons should be here tomorrow. Then I think I’m going to get ready to start assembling the motor and piecing everything together to see what ill need to buy to finish up the build.

More pictures to come![/URL]

Last edited:
2.3, e85, and a 20g? Can't wait to see how this handles for you sounds like it's gonna be even more of an autocross beast! Keep up the good work it and best of luck

UPDATE: 3/21/2016

Getting one step closer every weekend. Took some time on Saturday to get the transmission out of the bay. I took a few minutes and shimmed the pivot ball. I also plan on giving it a good spray down and wash.

My forged pistons came in and they look beautiful.

IMG_20160319_150910112_zpshqvzztmt.jpg

Ordered the last few pieces of the build today. I ordered a complete DNJ Engine gasket kit and an entire gates timing belt kit along with a handful of WIX oil filters to have on hand.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on engine assembly and I have to admit, it can be a little overwhelming at times.

When the day comes to turn the key, it’s going to be nerve racking.

Looking good. I'm glad you'll be around running events in the Cleveland area again. I saw Lakeland isn't an option anymore. Any ideas where the events will end up this year?

Im excited about this season for sure. Funny you mention that, as I am 1 of 4 people responsible for finding new pavement. We have some good leads, so im hoping we land a contract soon.

2.3, e85, and a 20g? Can't wait to see how this handles for you sounds like it's gonna be even more of an autocross beast! Keep up the good work it and best of luck

Im serioulsy excited about it. ON the street and during AX it should be an absolute blast. Once she is back up and running, ill be looking into modification to help with airflow. Cams, intake, etc, as I think the completely stock head could possible choke the 2.3/20g/E85 setup in the upper RPMs. Being money conscious, I want to get her running, driving and broken in bfore dumping more $$ into her.

I still need to pick up wheels and tires for the next few seasons.

Just take your time when assembling and double check everything. Get assembly lube where it's supposed to go and make sure you get the correct torque specs for all the bolts. Make sure you get a big box of plastic gloves too. Trust me, you'll go through them. It's nerve wracking the first time doing it. Assembled my first one last summer and got perfect compression across the board when I fired it up.

Good luck and have fun!

Nice build, it's cool to see other competitive DSM's still autocrossing.
Have you ever had your car on scales? I'll be interested to see if a 2.3 is worth the extra 90lbs.

The autocross SM rules set minimum weights based on engine displacement. So a 2.3 liter DSM must weigh at least 2910 lbs, while a 2.0 can weight 2820. It's to prevent older, light weight cars from dominating newer porky pigs.

The autocross SM rules set minimum weights based on engine displacement. So a 2.3 liter DSM must weigh at least 2910 lbs, while a 2.0 can weight 2820. It's to prevent older, light weight cars from dominating newer porky pigs.
Not saying he will do anything unethical but what is to stop people from showing up to these events and saying they have a 2.0 but have a stroked motor? I mean from the outside they look the same.

Love the build by the way. Just read the whole thread and I am doing a similar thing with my GSX right now. Going 2.3 as well so I will stay tuned to see your outcomes.

Not saying he will do anything unethical but what is to stop people from showing up to these events and saying they have a 2.0 but have a stroked motor? I mean from the outside they look the same.

Weight is not really policed at a local event (no scales). With regards to displacement: at a national level, people really pay attention, if they think they are hearing and seeing throttle response of a larger displacement motor, all it take is an internet search to find this thread. At a local level, a lot of things can and usually do slide by (until someone gets beat ;)).
That being said there is the -200 lb allowance for 275mm or less tires that GofaST4life can use until he decides to step up to Hoosiers.

Not being familiar with autoX rules, thought you where referring to weight difference on the 2 engines, sorry.
But I can tell you I have only seen a 2.3 in an evo, and I was impressed, this was on a road course where he had qualified 6 or 7 and before the first turn he was in 3rd place, eventually the other cars passed him, but it took them about 8 laps to do so, the acceleration was awesome.
I think the 90lbs can easily be overcome.

Nice build, it's cool to see other competitive DSM's still autocrossing.
Have you ever had your car on scales? I'll be interested to see if a 2.3 is worth the extra 90lbs.

I have not, but I plan on doing so once the car is together and running. With me in it and a half tank of gas, my best guess it 2950-3050. Good thing is I have the interior pieces to get to to the weight I need if im shy of the minimum lb number.

Love the build by the way. Just read the whole thread and I am doing a similar thing with my GSX right now. Going 2.3 as well so I will stay tuned to see your outcomes.

Thats awesome to hear!

Not being familiar with autoX rules, thought you where referring to weight difference on the 2 engines, sorry.
But I can tell you I have only seen a 2.3 in an evo, and I was impressed, this was on a road course where he had qualified 6 or 7 and before the first turn he was in 3rd place, eventually the other cars passed him, but it took them about 8 laps to do so, the acceleration was awesome.
I think the 90lbs can easily be overcome.

Everythign ive read, heard, watched has me very excited about a quick spooling 2.3 build. For the street and AX its a great combination.

UPDATE: 3/29/2016

The last bit of parts have arrived! Full Gates timing kit and a DNJ Full Engine Gasket set.

IMG_20160325_175749129_zpsxavjnxci.jpg

I should be getting the engine stand back in 2 weeks. That’s when the assembling will start.

I’m both excited and nervous.

UPDATE: 4/20/2016

This weekend is going to be the big push to get the block assembled! My good friend Justin is coming down from Erie to give me a hand with it.

I’m seriously excited to get this part of the build done. Once the motor is together, it really just about dropping it in and connecting everything up!

SO CLOSE!!

Pictures and updates to come!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back