1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Ohlins coilovers now available for the 1g

Posted by Ludachris, Aug 2, 2012

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Rocketman1000R

Rocketman1000R Proven Member

Joined Jun 28, 2009
    Houston/LA, Texas
    Yes these are version two, Mueller felt there was improvement to be made. The drilling is very straight forward. Muellerized provided the template and the drill bit for the knuckle. Yes this DSM has a 2G bottom end with a 1G head. Don't believe everything you hear about the 2G bottom end being a bad choice for bearing issues when in fact DSM's supplier for their cranks delivered inferior a parts they were too soft and caused the issue, also the seven bolt gives you more and better clutch choices and crank choices, ye this is Tomei 2.3 with billet main caps. The 1g head with 1mm over size valves with the biggest cam you can get is the best choice for a stroker kit. This with the AEM EMS has no idle issue, sounds stock. Also another great choice was keeping the OEM intake with a the 90mm DSM style throttle body and the intake matched to the head and the TB. I currently have HKS 272's but about to replace them GSC S2's. This DSM is a torque monster and has throttle response unlike any other DSM I have seen. I just purchased the AEM EMS V2 to have flex fuel. Future mods will be Full-Race T3 header and 6222. I will send the header and the turbo housing to Zircotec to be coated in Europe. Sorry for getting of topic but just wanted to answer a few questions and elaborate on the build a little. As for the a arm level and balljoint wear Ill ask John Mueller. The ride height, camber and corner balance was all calculated, set and tested prior to them being sent to me. Muellerized has great customer service. If you want a set of these you will have to fill out a questionnaire and be interviewed to make sure there product is going on a good car with a customer who will give them feed back for future changes ext.

Here a link on my Talon and some pics.
    Supraforums.com

2. Phil1320

Phil1320 Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2002
    Rocky Hill, Connecticut
    That's great info and thanks for posting the pics. I'll definitely look further into this. His templates etc. for the install look really good and the fact that he supplies the correct bit for the knuckles is great.

Phil1320

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.490 @ 113.850 · 1G DSM
  3. turboAWDfanatic

turboAWDfanatic Proven Member

Joined Aug 22, 2005
    La Habra, California

Fantastic setup! My 1G has become Mueller's local test mule, so he used it for setup and testing of the coilovers he sent you. The car handles even better now than it did with the "version 1" Ohlins setup. I am truly amazed at how well my car handles, and I'm rolling on some nearly bald cheapo "summer performance" tires. I can't wait to see how it handles with some R888's on there!

Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed!

4. cioc

cioc Proven Member

Joined Aug 2, 2006
    Sparta, New Jersey
    Waaaaaait a minute. If something is handling "better" I want to know about it. What other changes were made to the "V2" other than top hat mounting and knuckle drilling. Please clarify because if theres an upgrade to be had I need it immediately.

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. Rocketman1000R

Joined Jun 28, 2009
    Houston/LA, Texas
    TurboAWDfanatic, glad to finally know who you are. Do you know the changes made from V1 to V2? I know the V2 is based on the EVO IV, maybe the valving choices are more modern.
    My Supra is in La Habra.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  6. RipperXX

RipperXX Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2003
    Royston, Georgia
    So what just contact Mueller about these to purchase?

Street Build 3K  10  9

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.476 @ 105.48 · 1G DSM
  7. Rocketman1000R

Joined Jun 28, 2009
    Houston/LA, Texas
    OK So now to adjust rear camber I have searched Google, this site and other DSM sites and really did not get the kind of feed back or comparison I wanted to see, about which rear AWD camber is the better one and why, I see Ingals, white line and a few shop brands. What are you guys using with your super low DSM?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. lowell

lowell Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2006
    vancouver, BC, Canada
    Best way to adjust camber, track width and eliminate stock or poly bushings. Saves a couple pounds as well.
    1g_subframe_flex_small.jpg

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    10.970 @ 116.680 · 1G DSM
  9. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    What is your setup for a rear sway bar?

Street Build 4K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  10. lowell

lowell Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2006
    vancouver, BC, Canada
    ST bar with ball joint links to the trailing arm.

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  11. Rocketman1000R

Joined Jun 28, 2009
    Houston/LA, Texas
    Lowell, do you have a link or build diagram on how you made it? Maybe even where you got the parts and sizes? Thanks!

12. cioc

cioc Proven Member

Joined Aug 2, 2006
    Sparta, New Jersey
    Warning for Ohlins users, a straight upper bar may hit your chassis under full compression. Mine did coming out of the esses at Watkins Glen and that made me pucker quick. I ended up buying chromolley upper arms and bending them to match factory arm contour. I would not attempt this with aluminum arms.

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  13. Rocketman1000R

Joined Jun 28, 2009
    Houston/LA, Texas
  14. lowell

lowell Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2006
    vancouver, BC, Canada
    I don't actually remember the arm lengths but I think there was a thread on this site with all the info.
    The straight upper arms will hit the frame rail, so I clearanced it with a BFH.

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
  15. Flavoade

Flavoade Proven Member

Joined Apr 1, 2012
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I wanted to add to this thread as it seemed appropriate.

I have been considering the Mueller Ohlins, and plan to upgrade my car with them. I have been researching the Ohlins to see if it is worth the money. I just removed a set of Megan Racing coil-overs from my car so coil-overs in general leave a bad taste in my mouth. I have read the accounts posted of how the Ohlins perform, and hear glowing reviews. People also say Megan, Tein and those others sub $1000 coil-overs perform "great" as well, and really increase "Performance", and "Handling."

Because I have not driven either of your cars with the Ohlins equipped I don't know how they perform. I did come across a few videos and found two of an S2000 with Ohlins equipped. It is a different vehicle, but it is the same DFV tech. He did a street and track review and I found it informative. So if you are considering the Ohlins and need a more in-depth review this may help you:

S2000 with Ohlins Street review:

S2000 with Ohlins Track review:

Street Build 541  5

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM