The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Offset for 17x9 1g Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselsdad

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 9, 2009
Searcy, Arkansas
I'm apparantly too new to post in some someone else's thread so I have to start my own.

I am looking to upgrade my race wheels on the 1g Talon. I want to use 17x9 RPF1's. The car has ground control coilovers with 2.5" springs so there is some clearance available there. I will also be looking to use these wheels on my RX-8 for certain trackdays so I am making some compromises.

The question is WHAT offset? I was hoping to get away with 45mm if possible. Tires are 235/40. I'm pretty certain 35mm will work but I am trying to compromise between the two VERY different cars.

By the way, 35 and 45 are my only options for sizes right now. Will either of these fit without tearing up the fenders too bad?

Thanks,
Michael

I'm apparantly too new to post in some someone else's thread so I have to start my own.

I am looking to upgrade my race wheels on the 1g Talon. I want to use 17x9 RPF1's. The car has ground control coilovers with 2.5" springs so there is some clearance available there. I will also be looking to use these wheels on my RX-8 for certain trackdays so I am making some compromises.

The question is WHAT offset? I was hoping to get away with 45mm if possible. Tires are 235/40. I'm pretty certain 35mm will work but I am trying to compromise between the two VERY different cars.

By the way, 35 and 45 are my only options for sizes right now. Will either of these fit without tearing up the fenders too bad?

Thanks,
Michael

That's a lot of rim any reason you want to go that wide. 16x8 fd wheels on 245 tires sit flush.

Yeah, there's no way you want to run a 235 tire on a 9'' rim.

RX-8 uses same size all around. Staggered is not a good idea.

235's will fit, will likely move to 245's next time around.

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT OFFSET.

It's a race car not a street car, we need alot of rubber on the ground.

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming.

I think you will need to run +32.

I run 245-45-16 on 16x8.5 and run +37. I also run 265-45-16 on 16x9.5 using +7.

As you can imagine the, 16x9.5's stick out. :hellyeah:

245's on a 9" is no problem and neither would a 235.

/edit: A quick check of Kumho's site shows 235 on 17x9 fitments...
/edit2: Run 3-3.5deg of camber and fenders should not be an issue. You will likely rub a little in the wheel well on max steering angle.

You're going to have to run a little less offset than that because of the rear toe arms. You have to shave them down where they sandwich together. I ran 17x9 RPF1's at +27mm last year with 255/40/17 Kumho Ecsta XS (+35mm wheels but with an 8mm spacer) and there was minimal clearance between both the tire and the wheel to the shaved down toe arm. The next offset option in 17x9 is +22 and I found that to be a little excessive. I found +27 to be a happy medium between sticking out of the fender too much and not having clearance on the arm. Either way you're gonna have to roll the fenders out a bit even with a ton of camber. Just remember if you're gonna use wheel spacers get some ARP extended wheel studs and call it a day. The fronts shouldn't be an issue as long as the stock spring perch has been cut off. Hope this helps.

Oh and how come you're choosing to go with 235's? I assume you already have some tires, but I am curious if not. Thanks.

Doh, my math was wrong...Pete has it right! I took half of the 1/2" extra width for some reason. :ohdamn:

As per being involved in a similar conversation a while back......+27 is the proper offset for a 9" wheel on the 1G. Some fellas got together in the past and figured this all out. A 9" wheel with a +45 offset will be pretty bad, you can't take all that wheel and try to shove it under the fender, your steering will suffer badly. By using that offset your are creating an excessive "scrub radius" where the wheel/tire are moving forward and back too much rather than "pivoting" when you are giving steering inputs. You will wear tires at a more rapid rate, wheel bearings at a more rapid rate, and most of all cost yourself some car control. Aesthetics need to take a back seat if you're going to set it up right. And, as another said above, with a 9" wheel you should run minimum 245 series tires, otherwise back off to an 8.5" wheel if you must run 235 series. I bolted my 17 X 8.5" +30 offset Gram Lights from my EVO onto the talon jsut to see how they fit, you can put a finger between the edge of the rim and the rear trailing arm with no spacing, they stick out a bit in back, obviously moreso in front. I did not have the chance to check steering. All in all you have to use what you have to use, but, if you have a choice, why not get it as perfect as can be? My .02

Good luck!

ps-if you have any interest in seeing the relationship of the 8.5" wheel on a 1g I have pics I can toss up here

The ideal offset for a 17x9" wheel for a 1g has been determined to be 27mm. This was determined back when a member here was working with Team Dynamics to get wheels made for our cars. That offset will help maintain the proper suspension geometry (roll center, scrub radius, etc) that the car was engineered for. If you stray too far from that you will probably have adverse affects, or at best, less than optimal handling. Sure, another offset might fit, but it doesn't mean it's the optimal offset for handling. For the street, who cares, but for the track it matters. And anyone in here not giving advice based strictly on handling should not be replying - this is the road race forum.

I think when I was looking into RPF-1 wheels, they had a 35mm offset available in the 17x9, which is likely what I would have gotten and run spacers. With the amount of negative camber you'll be running for a race car, it should tuck, or come close to tucking. If not, you'll want some really stiff coilover springs anyway - you won't be able to run this width on stock style struts. I run a 17x9 with a 27mm offset and 255 wide tires. The fronts tuck with -2.0 or -2.5 camber (can't remember which) and the rears come close, and probably will when I add more negative camber in the back.

I have a set of 17x9.5 +30mm wheels that fit fairly well with 275 tires. With 0 camber they stick out about 1" 3/4 in front. They required grinding down the seam on the rear swingarm and re-welding it.

I have a set of 17x9.5 +30mm wheels that fit fairly well with 275 tires. With 0 camber they stick out about 1" 3/4 in front. They required grinding down the seam on the rear swingarm and re-welding it.

Pics of girth from wheel well?

Here are a couple pics, I cranked the brightness up a lot in the first one to help show the tires.

Attachments

• 275s.jpg
    275s.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 932
  • dsm.jpg
    dsm.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7,528
The ideal offset for a 17x9" wheel for a 1g has been determined to be 27mm. This was determined back when a member here was working with Team Dynamics to get wheels made for our cars. That offset will help maintain the proper suspension geometry (roll center, scrub radius, etc) that the car was engineered for. If you stray too far from that you will probably have adverse affects, or at best, less than optimal handling. Sure, another offset might fit, but it doesn't mean it's the optimal offset for handling. For the street, who cares, but for the track it matters. And anyone in here not giving advice based strictly on handling should not be replying - this is the road race forum.

I think when I was looking into RPF-1 wheels, they had a 35mm offset available in the 17x9, which is likely what I would have gotten and run spacers. With the amount of negative camber you'll be running for a race car, it should tuck, or come close to tucking. If not, you'll want some really stiff coilover springs anyway - you won't be able to run this width on stock style struts. I run a 17x9 with a 27mm offset and 255 wide tires. The fronts tuck with -2.0 or -2.5 camber (can't remember which) and the rears come close, and probably will when I add more negative camber in the back.

Are these the wheels you are running? How much were they and are they still made?

Thanks for the info by the way, this is very useful and I have a feeling I'm going to be able to go 17x9 just based off the info in this and one or two other threads on here. :thumb:

If you could PM or say here what you needed to do to fit them (grinding/rolling/pulling) it would be very much appreciated as well!

could i use this same offset for a 2g same wheels?

2g use different suspension and bodys are different they generally fit larger wheels and tires in the body and have their own respective topics.

As for the wheels all you have to do is contact team dynamics they still have the wheel.

Are these the wheels you are running? How much were they and are they still made?

Thanks for the info by the way, this is very useful and I have a feeling I'm going to be able to go 17x9 just based off the info in this and one or two other threads on here. :thumb:

If you could PM or say here what you needed to do to fit them (grinding/rolling/pulling) it would be very much appreciated as well!
They are the wheels I'm running. We had a Wiseman/Vendor here contact TD to get them made for us, which is how the research was done and the proper offset determined. We had several people participate in the group buy. I think the cost was between $800-900 for the set. I'm running 255/40/17 Toyo RA-1 tires and didn't have to do any fender rolling or cutting to make them fit... though I run 500/400 lb springs on my GC kit, and don't have the car lowered too much. No rubbing that I can see.

I've been contemplating contacting TD again to see if they can make these available, or if they already have a distributor that has the size. I think these are good choices for the DSM road racer, so it might be worth trying. I'll see what I can find out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back