The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

KW Evo 8/9 coilovers for a 1G!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
I've been talking with a very well known vendor (in the road racing world) who has a set of KW coilovers made for the Evo and is working on adapting them to the 1G. Anyone who knows coilovers knows that KW is good stuff and would probably like to have them available for our cars - adjustable rebound and compression damping, whoo hoo! They won't be cheap, but he might be interested in making several sets available if there's enough interest. Pricing would probably be about the same as the set made for the Evo (~ $2k or so). He said he can make a drag, street, and road race version available.

Obviously, this would only attract those who are serious about real grip and aren't cheap, which rules out most DSMers. Let me know if I should pursue this and I'll see about getting him to post a group buy in the Vendor forum.

evo 8-9 rear struts are easly made to work in csm/dsm. id guess the front shouldnt be to hard. youd need a different pillow ball mount but the knuckle mount should be close to the same as a 1g knuckle

I would be interested in a set. I have thinking about modifying a set of evo KW's to fit my car for awhile. Would this be the varient 3 coilovers? Thanks for looking into this Chris.

Would like to say I'd be down for this but just won't have the cash for that for a year or more now with the baby.
I've been wanting to pick up a set of evo bilsteins to get re-valved and then coil over sleeve them for drag racing for a while now.

Yes, I would be interested also. I have been looking to replace my Koni / Eibach Combo in the near future but I have not really been impressed by some of the current off-the-shelf solutions. This would be a very attractive option. :thumb:

Waiting on more info, will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the replies. It's good to see that there are some DSMers who are willing to pay for the good stuff, especially when it comes to grip. Looks like my faith is being restored in the community! :)

I looked into this a several years ago with Ohlins.

Rear:
The main differences are the rear lower mounts are different which can be overcome by a new lower mount.
The Evo has an arc at the base of the shock like a some Honda's were the 1g is a single point connection. The JIC's are the design I was going to follow but instead of a rubber bushing use a spherical bearing. I figured most of us who would consider this wouldn't care for the compliance for a rubber based bushing.
The Evo rear sits about two inchs higher (installed height) than the 1G when setup. This really isn't an issue if the lower coilover mount is made right. My JIC coilvers bottom out before I can get the car as low as I want so you need to consider if the shock length used on the Evo is too long to start.
The rear upper mounts are the same but should be divorced from the spring because of the angle to the spindle.

Front:
Main issue is the lower mount which really isn't a huge problem. The lower coilover mount spacing where it connects to the spindle is a little thicker than the 1G. I can't find my old notes but i wanted to say somewhere between 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Was just going to make a stainless spacer to make up the difference..again not a huge issue and if anything would add some caster to the setup anyway. I can't remember if the bolt center to center was the same or not. I think there was a little modification needed there also but again I can't find my notes. The bolts that went threw the lower mount were also smaller on the 1G.
Top mounts aren't an issue since you would just buy a separate set from Tein, DMS, or JIC unless you were making your own. I would prefer the DMS upper mounts as they have caster adjustment.

In the end if you really feel you need the extra adjustment for road racing then it can be done but 2-way coilovers aren't going to make older cars handle like newer ones with the same components. Single way coilover eliminate confusion add simplicity and give you most of what you need. With race teams and competition the cost of the last remaining percentage you will gain in adjustment from 2-3way coilovers can be justified. The more adjustment the harder the dial in and the longer it will take to find what works on the car. One of the engineers w/Ohlins kinda gave me a reality check with that one so the JIC's are still on the car today. Ohlins said they would love to make coilovers for older cars like these but they need to sell a certain number to justify it as with any business as it's always about the money.

My 2cents, but cool to see you guys are talking about this. Has anyone just considered DMS or Hotbits. Both already make 2-4way adjustable coilovers?

This cannot be a bad thing, I had looked at KW's for the EVOVIII/IX and ordering them with my choice of spring rate, then adapt them to my car. If they'll make 'em fit at the factory, count me in.

(need to start saving, maybe sell a motorcycle)

Last edited:
Waiting on more info, will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the replies. It's good to see that there are some DSMers who are willing to pay for the good stuff, especially when it comes to grip. Looks like my faith is being restored in the community! :)

Some of us actually wanna spend a lot of an DSM rather than a evo, I think the 1g style is nicer for a AWD turbo platform.

Please keep us updated, looking for an alternative to the coilovers available for the 1gs currently

Ohmanohmanohman...all I can see is the wife running after me with her handgun as I jump into the Talon with these on the corners.

Finances not a huge problem, justifying the purchase is.

Will the order go in when the 20th order is confirmed? I read "in the wild"...does this mean we'll see them available down the line since the castings will be made already via the group buy?

Ohmanohmanohman...all I can see is the wife running after me with her handgun as I jump into the Talon with these on the corners.

Finances not a huge problem, justifying the purchase is.

Will the order go in when the 20th order is confirmed? I read "in the wild"...does this mean we'll see them available down the line since the castings will be made already via the group buy?
I know what you mean about justifying the purchase Kris.

Probably should ask those questions in the vendor thread.

I sent him a PM asking basicly the same thing, because i'm about to deploy to Afghanistan and I don't really want to order these and then have them sit for a year or two since the cars in Georgia and i'm in Germany :/ So justifying it right now is hard to do if there going to be available later on.

I am however very interested and if I have to will try to get the wife to give the green light. She told me I can use the money I need to from this deployment to finish the Talon. But with everything thats currently going on. I think it will erk her a lot trying to order these after just getting that CF hood from the last group buy.

Just talked with Robi - seems he's received no orders for these KW's he was working on for the 1g group buy here in our Vendor forum. Bummer. I tried to get these made for us. I guess we still have JIC and Hotbits at least, but these would have been far superior I'm sure - that guy makes quality stuff. Seems the 1g platform just doesn't have enough people interested in high quality suspensions, or anything else that doesn't contribute to straight line speed. Owning a 1g is like banging your head against the wall sometimes if you're not a drag racer. I thought for sure we could get 10 orders.

I need to just go out and get an E30 or E36 M3 and quit fighting a losing battle with this platform. If we can't get good parts made for us, what's the point? Sorry guys, just a little frustrated.

If only my car would run well with these...

...with my freshly popped HG. :(

I'm actually somewhat surprised this didn't pan out as folks dropped 4g for the Aero Kit Drew made. :(

If only my car would run well with these...

...with my freshly popped HG. :(

I'm actually somewhat surprised this didn't pan out as folks dropped 4g for the Aero Kit Drew made. :(
Yeah, no kidding! But remember, those were 2g guys spending the money on that kit. 1g guys are a little more.... thrifty.

But still, I just can't see how we couldn't get 10 orders together. I think I'm going to try and at least if I can get a set built for me. It'll be more expensive obviously, but oh well. I would have loved to see more 1g guys running a kick ass setup like this.

I feel your pain Chris. You know this is solely due to the slow economic recovery. We (I) will be back in the mix soon, it'll just take a bit more time. Patience, brother, patience.

The discretionary part of peoples income and motorsports in general, will likely be the last things to recover from the latest recession.

I was just under the Talon for an hour or so last eve. in fact. :thumb:

Yeah, no kidding! But remember, those were 2g guys spending the money on that kit. 1g guys are a little further down the motorsports ladder.

Fixed.

I feel your pain Chris. You know this is solely due to the slow economic recovery. We (I) will be back in the mix soon, it'll just take a bit more time. Patience, brother, patience.

The discretionary part of peoples income and motorsports in general, will likely be the last things to recover from the latest recession.

I was just under the Talon for an hour or so last eve. in fact. :thumb:

Fixed.
I know, I know. I'm not unaffected myself. Maybe we'll some people together for this after all, I was just a little frustrated when I posted that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back