The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Why not Megan Coilovers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashGNX

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2004
Brighton, Tennessee
Ive read over a bunch of posts saying not to go with megans and even a few that say they are fine but I didnt find any posted reasons not to go with them as a budget real adjustable coil over.

they are correctly height adjustable and at their price they are fairly adjustable. Im running stock springs and KYB AGXs atm so they gotta be better if I adjust them right and set them up correctly.

Comments?

I bought my talon with megans on it and I dont have anything bad to say. I like them more then when I had my fwd on kyb agx with ground control coilovers. Id say go for them. Not ridiculously priced and work pretty descent if you ask me

Not enough low-speed rebound and too much high-speed compression. Inconsistent from one to another. Usually wrapped with crappy, inconsistent springs.

Plus, Leon says that they're the wrong color.

Not enough low-speed rebound and too much high-speed compression. Inconsistent from one to another. Usually wrapped with crappy, inconsistent springs.

Plus, Leon says that they're the wrong color.

For the money they're passable and are holding up better than Koni yellows. So far the best economy setup I've driven has been a custom Koni/Hypercoil combo but the front struts wore out rather quickly.
My Megans on the other hand have seen 9 track sessions, drag strip, 4 years of street driving and are just as good (or just as bad...hahah) as new. I also have Tein SS on a different car but have never done a fair A-B comparison on the same car.

For the money they're passable and are holding up better than Koni yellows. So far the best economy setup I've driven has been a custom Koni/Hypercoil combo but the front struts wore out rather quickly.

1G? If so, then that doesn't surprise me all that much. Koni makes great shocks, but I've not been impressed with their struts. Konis really don't deal well with side-forces. If you put Konis on a 2G with very stiff springs but no coaxial hat, don't expect them to last very long, for example.

stupid, narcissistic aside: (For those that have been around for a long time and like to keep score in the petty squabbles between members, this is the one point that [I'll admit that] Dennis was absolutely correct about, while I was totally wrong.)(But if you repeat that, I'll claim someone else wrote this post.)

i have a 1g on bc br type with swift spring upgrades they arent ideal for the street but really have nothing bad to say about them performance wise handle awesome just a little bumpy i also drive my car hard tho

You get what you pay for.

This is especially true when talking about suspension products.

A cheaper alternative may be more suitable, but than you start sacrificing quality for a cheaper price. I'm still on my stock suspension in the 1g, and will remain that way until I can afford not just springs and struts but everything under that car brand new.

I've had them on the car for at least the last autocross season, so far they are holding up well and perform pretty well. Well enough to take the NASA Midsouth NX-C class champion again last year. I drove them a few 20 minute sessions at Memphis Raceway and they still perform pretty well at higher speeds on track. I'm still sorting out other issues with the car so I cant push it as hard as I would like to really test them. They springs are pretty stiff and im sure the compression and rebound could be tuned better for my setup but for $1000 set of budget coilovers I cant complain a bit. Sure a set of customized OHLINS would be real nice but at $4k a set I'll stick with these till I get that serious in TT and such.

My KYB AGX set and stock springs did alright for street driving but just wont cut it for autocross or track sessions.

Once I sort out my other issues and get my weights where I want them I may go with eibach springs... good idea.

I got some kyb agx to be installed soon and I have some eibachs from a friend for cheap, should be nice for the street.

one of my main problems with the KYB AGX setup was the hugely round springs like the stock ones. I couldnt fit the tire size I wanted because they would rub the bottom spring perch. I dont like teh idea of cutting them up and putting smaller coils on because its a bad idea and seriously unstable under loads.

Last edited:
I've read that ksport makes a good product. Been to a few car shows and spoke with people who are sponsored by them. Of course they are paid to give a thumbs up but a few of them genuinely spoke good of the coilovers

There are a few on here who love the megans and have had them for years and find them the best budget type setup and are used for racing. Apparently they are of the same quality as some of the middle range but i cannot find the thread to be more specific sorry.

The reason 99% of the lower budget coilovers are not good is because of a few things! But 1 major one is they are not all spherical top mounted! So this mean they sit on some kind of rubber or needle rollers and its bad for the suspension and not what you ideally want! Thats the biggest downfall.

The others are badly match valving/ spring rates not consistant or bad springs, and also there is the lack of parts for upgrades for them

There is a brand thats compared to a few mid range systems and thats ISC and they seem to be doing ok but not alot of them on here about them, they are compares to the likes of the older teins, BC, and koni systems, all thought out of everyone ive picked BC because they are upgradeable and quality and ive been around cars with these for years and are still on the original set,

So remember its not just about price but its what you want out of them and you need to go deeper into what it comes with and whats swappable on them at a later date.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back