The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

DG Koni coilovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black95TSIawd

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2003
Dirty, New_Jersey
I was able to pick up an unused set from someone who purchased from the 2nd group buy. (He did not make any money on it. I verified what the final cost was in the group buy and what he charged me was a little less actually.)

My car is bone stock for now. However, its primary duty will be a street car and weekend warrior once or twice a year. I bought these coilovers because I have OCD and only want the best. But, now my question is to you guys, how do they fare in your daily drivers? How are the spherical bearings in the cold? How do the koni's hold up in the cold? It does snow in NJ, but this car will not see snow or salt. How do the helper springs and main springs react on roads with potholes, etc. I don't mean ride quality, but rather should I ever expect weird noises are springs unseating due to an abnormal bump in the road? I also plan on getting dust covers before I install them. Any input is appreciated. Despite many many threads and posts about these, I haven't found a single consumer review.

Thanks.

I just put mine in my otherwise-stock dd GST about a month ago, and I was wondering the same thing about the cold (and salt). As far as dirt and dust they seem to work fine without dust covers. Where are you getting these dust covers?

I used the helper springs on mine (zip tied to the main springs for now) so I've had no problems with unseating, even with the pot holes over in Philly. We'll see how long they last though. I'm going to put legit separators in next chance I get, though, and do away with the zip ties. I do hope to get a few years out of these, at least from the main components. I'm definitely never going back to stock though. Hopefully that all helps a little.

Put them together correctly and you will not have any issue with bumps at all. Never had a spring come unseated and I've hit a few nasty bumps. No zip ties need. They would not cost so much if they needed zip ties just to stau seated.
My 750/350 ride alot better than my gr2s and Lowering springs did.

I have DG coilovers from our original group buy, so I'll give my input. I do NOT daily drive my car, in fact I drive it infrequently and only on the very occasional nice winter day.

That being said...I did have a Torrington race break on me although I didn't notice it until it was removed. All the races and bearings were rusty from minimal use. I haven't had any issues with the spherical bearings wearing out, although I know at least one other person from the original group buy has already.

I don't forsee having any issues with the shocks themselves, but keep an eye on the Torrington bearings at least. I'd go as far as to say that the entire assembly would be well served by disassembling and cleaning at least once or twice a year. Use some silicone spray or similar on the Torrington bearings and threaded sleeves once in awhile.

I looked for dust boots when we finished the group buy, but wasn't able to find any suitable ones because of how narrow the spring is.

Last edited:
I have run a similar setup to DG's for probably10 years or so, on both my street 2G and on the autocross car. Torringtons won't make it through the first winter - don't waste your time on them if you spend any time on the roads in inclement weather. I have not been able to source 100% stainless steel Torringtons, which would help them last, they will probably still self-destruct due to the environment they operate in.

The spherical bearings will go south in a year or two unless they are 100% stainless steel with Teflon liners - if you have those they will last over 100k miles - mine have and they're still going strong.

I need to machine the rears before i can put them on but i have everything already, i was going to use the nylon washer that comes with the konis to skirt off excess stuff as it compresses, thats why they i cluded it after all? I won't be using zip ties. I choose a 650-350 combo because i did plan on street driving but since i just bought a truck i will be using it for the track hopefully 650 is still enough rate.

I have run a similar setup to DG's for probably10 years or so, on both my street 2G and on the autocross car. Torringtons won't make it through the first winter - don't waste your time on them if you spend any time on the roads in inclement weather. I have not been able to source 100% stainless steel Torringtons, which would help them last, they will probably still self-destruct due to the environment they operate in.

The spherical bearings will go south in a year or two unless they are 100% stainless steel with Teflon liners - if you have those they will last over 100k miles - mine have and they're still going strong.

Thanks for the input. Does anyone know the build quality of the spherical bearings that were in the 2nd group buy? Charles, do you have a link of a quality bearing?

Description
Race - Stainless Steel, Heat Treated, PTFE Linedd Ball - 52100 Alloy Steel, Heat Treated, Hard Chrome Plated PTFE Lined Aurora Bearing PNB-T/PNB-TG Performance Racing Series Spherical Bearings

when i got one of mine from RTM it moves much more easily then the other one that i got from RTM and the two i got from jay racing, wonder if i got a defective one from RTM should the bearings move easily or not? and when i say easy, i mean like... EASY

Thanks, ACM.

From a daily driver standpoint, are the torrignton bearings even necessary? I don't plan on changing my ride height often. Maybe not worth it for a daily driver?

I looked for dust boots when we finished the group buy, but wasn't able to find any suitable ones because of how narrow the spring is.

When I had ground controls, I tried to use dust boots that I got from Summit. I think they were for trucks or dirtbikes, I don't remember. Anyway, they didn't fit very well and started falling apart after about few months.

Thanks, ACM.

From a daily driver standpoint, are the torrignton bearings even necessary? I don't plan on changing my ride height often. Maybe not worth it for a daily driver?

The toringron bearings are cheap, they make sure your helper springs and spring dont bind on your coilover sleeve
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Prevents wear

^ That was my experience daily driving with the torrington bearings. Just a couple day of driving around in the rain and the bearing races were clogged up with sand & road grime. YMMV

Wonder if dennis thought about that at the time.

Dennis wasn't concerned with daily driving, his car was 100% autocross, nothing else,. Same as me - that's why I have them on the autocross car but not on the daily driver.

Incidentally, the purpose of Torrington bearings is not to ease ride height changes - that has nothing whatsoever to do with their function. The purpose is to allow one end of the spring to rotate freely, as that is what happens when the suspension moves.

I do run dust boots on mine. I remember it took alot of looking to find a boot narrow enough that it will work with the 2.25" HC's. The boots I was able to find were smaller diameter then most of the others out there, but they do still rub on the springs abit. Though I have had them on for 5 or 6 years now (summer driven only) & no wearing issues so far. I just had to cut them to the desired height.

I believe they were made by a company that you see alot of when seaching for boots (ment for truck shocks). They made one version that was smaller then the rest, but I can't recall who made them or where I got them now :coy:. Maybe I can dig something up.

Edit: Thinking their made by Pro Comp

$100 for 4 boots? (thats from 2010, sure their more now), ouch. Think mine were $20 or something. The ones I have just barely touch in a 2.25" spring, they are talking about 2.5" in the link.

Your totally right my bad I was thinking our springs were 2.5" but he did say they were alil smaller than 2.5. But yeah its expensive. Butv it's an idea. Maybe could use the same thing from a diff car.
Something small like a geo metro or storm.

^ That was my experience daily driving with the torrington bearings. Just a couple day of driving around in the rain and the bearing races were clogged up with sand & road grime. YMMV

Forgot I had pics!

Brand new...

After daily driving...

And after I cleaned them up...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back