The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Holset HX-35 Oiling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboAWDfanatic's post should be placed in the Holset FAQ. Guys, THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE.

There is no question as to what his pressure is post-restrictor, and he'll be rewarded with long turbo life as a result of his efforts!

Thanks for the comments, guys. Lemme know if you want me to copy/paste this info in any of the other oiling/holset thread or in tech

This website has everything you need for seemingly any setup.

RacePartSolutions - Fast Parts At Discount Prices

I had already ordered some from summit racing based off of turboAWDfanatic setup. I am basically going with the exact same feed setup as his, off the OFH. I purchased the same 3 fittings and had a 2.5' -4an feed line made here locally for around 25$

Earl s Performance 9919BFGERL - Earl's Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Earl s Performance 966304ERL - Earl's Performance Couplers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

TURBO OIL RESTRICTOR AN-4 BILLET ALUMINUM: eBay Motors (item 260591740295 end time Aug-22-10 14:22:36 PDT)

I will be making the return line from parts ordered off
RacePartSolutions - Fast Parts At Discount Prices

Finally got around to hooking an oil gauge up to my feed off the head last night, and I'm seeing about 12 psi at idle. I only took the car up to about 5000 rpm sitting in the garage, and pressure went to about 35-40 psi or so. this is on a 2.3L, ported OFH, no BS.

So I'm thinking I'm good-to-go coming straight off the head with a -10AN drain. I would go bigger on the drain of course, but I already have the -10AN bung welded to the pan and don't really want to drop, cut, and reweld it unless necessary.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately there is no one-stop-shop to find oil lines for installing a Holset on a DSM. Why? They were never meant for use on one of our cars.

Holsets like oil, that's no secret. The inlet pressure threshold of a Holset is higher than Garrett, MHI, and BW....BUT the oil drain must be larger than all three of those brands as well.

This thread illustrates what some guys have done to keep their oil pressure and drain within spec, and they will be rewarded with long life from their turbo.

Well I managed to gather everything up besides one thing. Index the oil return fitting and can't seem to find one. Any one know of a place to sell the
?

So I have read a million holset threads. And nobody talks about before the install pressures. So I figured I would check before the install in the hopes I can get the right line and restrictor the first time.

So can anyone help with this?

I started the car. Let it warm up for around 40 minutes. I was also putting e85 in the car for the first time so I used this time to dial in the fuel trims.
Here are the numbers I get.

At startup its at a little over 60psi
When warm at idle 15-16
Revving the motor to around 5500 it shoots up to 80.
I had the launch limit set there so I didn't go farther this time.
This was all at 7500rpm.

So the question is which restrictor line should work best?
Oil pressure was measured at the end of a -4 feed.
i have a dash 4 feed.
Also a -4 .75 restrictor coming.
Also I have a -3 feed line I can use. I don't have any restrictor for that yet.

Ideas? Thoughts?

So I have read a million holset threads. And nobody talks about before the install pressures. So I figured I would check before the install in the hopes I can get the right line and restrictor the first time.

I started the car. Let it warm up for around 40 minutes. I was also putting e85 in the car for the first time so I used this time to dial in the fuel trims.

When warm at idle 15-16
This was all at 7500rpm.

i have a dash 4 feed.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I run a -3an feed non restricted on my car, no problems. My oil pressure is about 60psi at 6000rpm.

When warm at idle 15-16
This was all at 7500rpm.

i have a dash 4 feed.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Were are you feeding it from, the head or the OFH? Do you still have your balancer shafts? I run a .06 restrictor on a -4 feed and placed my OPG post restrictor becuase I wanted to know what my H1E was getting then. At idle its 10psi, redline maybe 60ish from the OFH and I have the shafts.

Last edited:
Don't think anyone answered the guy on the 1st page but does anyone think this one would be good?

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

When I get my car up and running again, I won't have balance shafts on my 98 block with 1g head. I do have an oil pressure gauge with my sending unit off the ofh. This wouldn't be good enough would it? Seems everyone is going with a different restrictor I guess.

Just an oil pressure note. I have a '91 GSX with a stock '90 engine w/ BS removed & non-turbo oil filter housing w/ relief ported. Cold it has 90+psi idle; I think it idles around 20-30 warmed up and makes 100psi by cruising rpm & 110 by 3500; it seems like the op relief doesn't open til about 110psi. (I cut off another oil relief spring but haven't installed it yet.) This is with 20w-50 Valvoline VR1 racing oil (conventional / non-synthetic), which definitely rose the pressure over my normal 15w-40 RotellaT but I don't know how much. I can't run synthetic because my car already leaks oil really bad.

I had a Holset on for a while with a .625 restrictor (banjo bolt) and it was great.

My EvoIII 16G hates this pressure and makes the car smoke a ridiculous amount when I let off (oil comes through compressor - my BOV is soaked). I've been running like this for a year with no issues other than a lot of smoke and oil smell.

I've updated my oil feed and OFH pressure relief so I thought I would add this. I have been searching for a way to adjust the oil pressure going to the holset which can be done but not really cost effective right now. So I came up with just adjusting the entire motor oil pressure completly since I just rebuilt a new motor and removed the BS so I know the oil pressure is going to be high. I found this part from Milodon which is an adjustable oil pressure regulator for the Hemi.
Milodon 21550 Milodon Chrysler Oil Pressure Regulator
I then adapted it to fit the 4G63 OFH. I had to drill out the stock threads which I believe are 3/8-16BPT becuase the hemi is 3/8-16 SPT threads which are slightly different. I then made a plug out of AL with the correct threads. I machined it to be a press fit i the OFH, but still used JB AL weld. I didn't TIG it becuase the metal of the OFH was thin and I didn't want to distort it (destroy it).
I use the stock oil relief piston but cut down the hemi spring to fit. I still may have to cut down the spring more but this allows me to turn it back up if needed. Oh and I still ported the relief in the housing.
I have 2 oil pressure guages in the car to tell me what the motor OP is and what the turbo feed OP is after the restrictor.

Not saying this is the best way to do it, but just an idea. This is on a new motor so it hasn't been tested yet.:shhh:

Attachments

• adjustable OFH.jpg
    adjustable OFH.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 188
  • oil restrictor jet.jpg
    oil restrictor jet.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 176
  • OFH feed lines.jpg
    OFH feed lines.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 193
So is what turboAWDfanatic posted (22 posts above this one) still the way everyone sets up their oil line or is there a place that actually sells one now? I need one for an hx35 and HX40.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back