The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset HX-35 Oiling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought an oil restrictor for a bb turbo awhile back and was wondering that if I drilled out the .035 hole to an 1/8th inch hole if that would work?
Most Holset restrictors are .075"-.095", and a 1/8" hole would be .125", which doesn't offer much restriction.

I'd find a smaller bit if I were you.

I've been thinking about this for awhile and my concern is that while you are restricting the pressure your also restricting the flow or the amount of oil bathing the berrings which could lead to coking. I've been working on a Oil Pressure Regulator to use just for my holset but new baby has cut down my free time.

^ ^

Right, but keep in mind the 14B turbos are fed from the head with a restrictor built into the turbo's banjo end of the OEM metal feed line, and these turbos have been proven to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Of course we're talking about low-boost use, too.

OEM applications on trucks have either a -4AN or -6AN stainless line feeding a Holset (most likely within the turbo's pressure requirement), and it's draining through a 7/8" drain tube.

There's a guy that comes into my workplace with a Ford pulling tractor that makes around 2000 horsepower and boosts over 100psi; his turbo is fed with a 3/8" supply line, and drains through a 1-1/4" tube.

What we must keep in mind when installing a turbo that is not an OEM unit for our cars is:
  • You absolutely must stick to the pressure requirement of the manufacturer of the turbo. Too much or too little pressure will undoubtedly kill your turbo in a very short time.
  • If you're adding more oil volume to the inlet of the turbo, you must increase the size of the drain to handle the additional incoming oil volume. Failure to do so will cause the oil to blow past through the seals.
  • The -10AN drain lines sold by most aftermarket companies are absoultely too small for a Holset, and probably too small for a Garrett that is fed unrestricted from the filter housing as well....hell, they're smaller than the factory drains on the factory turbos that are fed from the head on 1G's. This totally goes against the "more incoming volume = larger drain" examples I've shown above, and is most likely the cause of all the premature failures on Garrett, Holset, and BW turbos that are fed unrestricted from the filter housing.

So WITH a restrictor, a -10an drain will be enough? Its only not enough when running unrestricted?

^ ^

Right, but keep in mind the 14B turbos are fed from the head with a restrictor built into the turbo's banjo end of the OEM metal feed line, and these turbos have been proven to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Of course we're talking about low-boost use, too.

OEM applications on trucks have either a -4AN or -6AN stainless line feeding a Holset (most likely within the turbo's pressure requirement), and it's draining through a 7/8" drain tube.

There's a guy that comes into my workplace with a Ford pulling tractor that makes around 2000 horsepower and boosts over 100psi; his turbo is fed with a 3/8" supply line, and drains through a 1-1/4" tube.

What we must keep in mind when installing a turbo that is not an OEM unit for our cars is:
  • You absolutely must stick to the pressure requirement of the manufacturer of the turbo. Too much or too little pressure will undoubtedly kill your turbo in a very short time.
  • If you're adding more oil volume to the inlet of the turbo, you must increase the size of the drain to handle the additional incoming oil volume. Failure to do so will cause the oil to blow past through the seals.
  • The -10AN drain lines sold by most aftermarket companies are absoultely too small for a Holset, and probably too small for a Garrett that is fed unrestricted from the filter housing as well....hell, they're smaller than the factory drains on the factory turbos that are fed from the head on 1G's. This totally goes against the "more incoming volume = larger drain" examples I've shown above, and is most likely the cause of all the premature failures on Garrett, Holset, and BW turbos that are fed unrestricted from the filter housing.

Totally agree with what your saying. I guess I should have stated that I wanted this strictly for the issue of over the limit oil pressure on the holsets when used on a DSM. I can saqy that mine which is feed from th OFH reachs over 100psi when cold with moderate throttle. I want to limit this but not loose the volume of oil flow at idle that a restrictor may cause. I'm running a -12 drain.

apon further reading I have decided to use a 5/64th drill bit which I believe is .078". I have all my balance shafts and was wondering if restricting the flow would still be alright. I also have a -10 return also.

Ill be running a -12 drain too already have the drain done. Still done have a feed line or restrictor but its going to be awhile before my car runs. I really dont want my turbo to die saying i bought it brand new. But i also want to make sure im getting enough oil not too much but not too little. And i've seen so many people say different things about holsets some dont run restrictors some do. Ive seen alot of people say diff size restrictors too.

That's because the 4g6* oil pressure varies from one motor build tothe next and from one location to the next. check your pressure at the inlet and then you'll know you're right.

I have some questions on the oiling of the holset as well as inlet compressor housing.
It seems like there is much debate on which area is best for oil feed. Any of these 2 areas (head and OFH) will work fine. Since pressure varies from one engine to the next, the key here is to: measure oil pressure from the area that is going to be used as oil feed for the turbo. As long as you are able to achieve no less than 10psi at idle. [ would it be safe say that the min pressure at Idle is 10psi and the max is 20psi? Holset doesn't say whats the maximum oil pressure at Idle. Only the minimun. At least I haven't found it]. And at WOT, no less than 30psi and a max of 72psi. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it about 10psi per every 1000rpm's?
Again, the key here is to measure the oil pressure from the area of feed. Wouldn't this be more accurate if you first measure the oil pressure before the oil restrictor and then measure it again after the restrictor to check the actual psi that the restrictor is bypassing? Having this said:
How is eveyone measuring your oil pressure? What type of gauge are you using? Manual oil pressure gauge or are you installing an electronic oil pressure gauge (autometer, defi, AEM, etc) inside your car? (permanently).

My other question is: On a 1g or someone thats been feeding from the head and decides to feed from the OFH, what are you using to plug the hole on the head that you previously used on your MHI turbo?

Last question: How do you remove the ring that locks the compressor inlet baffle in place? How do you take this thing off? Any special tools? Its supposed to make the turbo more quiet. I don't know. But I would love to remove it.

Thanks guys.

jorge.

I have a quick question about the oil feed fitting for the holset. I'm almost done putting together my oil feed setup (I'm using the -4 SS line that I had for my 16g from the OFH with a .075 restrictor), but I need a -4AN-to-Holset fitting. Extreme PSI sells it, but they want $16 to ship and handle a $10 part that weighs less than a pound! :rolleyes:

Anybody know of another vendor that sells this fitting?

EDIT: Found the answer already:

Oil Feed and Drain Connections:

Oil Drain:

The Oil Drain is easy because it uses a standard Garett T3 fitting. These are readily available with direct AN-10 connections or 1/2" NPT threads.

AN -6 Oil Feed Adapter:

The easiest way to connect the oil feed line is with the original Holset oring and an AN-6 Adapter with the following specs:

AN Flare to Metric, -4 AN to 12mm x 1.5 Male.

They are readily available from Summit racing:
Earl s Performance 9919BFGERL

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

you can get that part from
G&J they are in ontario they have alot of hard to find parts give em a call

also Hanh Racing has that, i bought one awhile back from them because i messed mine up

So what are you guys using to plug the oil feed port on the head when going OFH?? and what are the size bolts that bolt the oil return line to the holset turbo??
Thanks.

So what are you guys using to plug the oil feed port on the head when going OFH?? and what are the size bolts that bolt the oil return line to the holset turbo??
Thanks.
you can get the plugs of the non turbo 1g 2.0 dsm or off the turbo 2g's
just go to the dealer

Last edited:
I thought the drain line to turbo bolts were 8mmx1.25?

you can get that part from
G&J they are in ontario they have alot of hard to find parts give em a call

also Hanh Racing has that, i bought one awhile back from them because i messed mine up

Thanks for the heads up on G&J, I'll definitely bookmark them for the future. I ended up ordering from Summit Racing yesterday and the part(s) will be here tomorrow (I ordered a few things). I had to change my order after ordering online, so I called them and they were incredibly helpful and easy to work with. Super fast shipping and good customer service FTW!!! :applause:

I just purchased an oil pressure test kit. Got it at harbor freight for 14 bucks. You guys can get an oil pressure tester only with some adaptors for 9 bucks. This will enable you to check for the correct pressure and help you decide if you can safetly feed from the head or if you need to use certain restrictors from the OFH.
One question. Whats the correct torque specs for the turbine housing bolts. I think they are like 19lbs/ft. Is this true? This is when switching over to a BEP housing.

My HX-35 blows a thin cloud of smoke when I punch it. I have the FP red restrictor... they advertise it as .100 but it's actually .125 so it's not really doing any real restriction. I am torn on whether to turn the FP filter down on a lathe so I can put a nitrous jet on it, 0.078" ID. Or to just get it off the head and call it a day. My car has no balance shafts, unported oil filter housing, so my pressure it fairly high. How high? I don't know, and I really don't want to hook up gauges and tune my oil pressure I don't have time for all that. I want to just put something on that works and I'm pretty sure either getting it off the head or using a 0.078" jet would get me to the same place. What do you guys think?

Well I received my Holset yesterday and now I am trying to piece the oiling kit together. I currently have a 6bolt motor with the balance shafts and oil squirters in. I plan to get a oil feed kit and run it from the OFH. Now I want to make sure I do this right so I would like to install a gauge close to the turbo and see what my pressures are.

Here's what I have so far:

Oil line kit

EDIT:

Actually now that I am looking at it more I'm not sure how to piece together something that I can use a gauge with. Its too bad this doesn't come in a -4AN.

Gauge Adapter

I'm sure you can get a T fitting from the plumbing department at the hardware store. If not, maybe AFI has one in -4an.

I'll take a look at the store. Does anyone have a picture of there setup with the gauge installed?

Sorry this is such a late reply...I haven't been on here in a while, but here's some pics of my setup. To see the full install, check out the article on my blog!

I have no balance shafts and the oil feed coming from the OFH with one of these eBay inline -4an .075 oil restrictors

Here's a picture of the restrictor inline with the oil feed from the OFH. I put the restrictor as close to the OFH as I could b/c of the spray effect that someone mentioned earlier from running a restrictor.

Next I bought a cheap -4an swivel fitting from Summit Racing that has a 1/8npt female opening so you can tap in an oil gauge. I put this right before the turbo just to be 100% sure I was seeing oil pressure at the turbo. This adapter was a temporary installation, just to see oil pressure at idle, free rev, and driving before taking it off.

I temporarily mounted the gauge to the windshield by holding it in place with the windshield wiper. :) I was showing around 15psi at idle (sometimes just below 10psi on a rough or low idle), and right around 65psi at WOT throughout the RPM range. Once I was satisfied I removed the adapter and hooked the -4an feed directly to the turbo:

I have been running this setup for a couple months now with no issues. The turbo is still strong and it hasn't smoked one bit. Remember that every car is different and you should test your setup before running it. To see the full install, check out the article on my blog!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back