The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

6g72 swap...real or not? [Merged 9-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane147

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
rochester, rochester_new_york
ive had an ongoing argument with a friend about a 6g72 engine swap. its the 3si vr4 engine. dont care if it went in a 1g or 2g, did it ever happen or not, i have found nothing on it.

Alright thanks for the input. I had thought about weight and size difference but i wasnt sure how much of a difference it would make. And as to 1GDSMGUY's question no i dont have one laying around(i wish i did) i was looking at the JDM versions out of a GTO. They make more power then the american version so i was gonna use one of those. I've never heard of anything like this being done and wanted to try something different.

If I recall correctly, it has been done before.

Also, as far as I know, the JDM motor is no different than the USDM motor. IF it puts out more power, it is because it comes with larger turbos and supporting things (injectors, etc.) The longblock itself is the exact same thing.

What would it be like to swap in the 6G72TT out of a VR4 into my 91 Talon TSI? Is it plausible and even worth the time and money? Also what would the tranny and driveshaft have to be? Can it be done?

Son that's not a swap....that's a project!

I consider swaps to be something that can be done easily, maybe two nights in the garage. Swaps are popular with Honda guys because their motors are all practically interchangeable....but the only engine you need in your DSM is the 4G63!

Son that's not a swap....that's a project!

I consider swaps to be something that can be done easily, maybe two nights in the garage. Swaps are popular with Honda guys because their motors are all practically interchangeable....but the only engine you need in your DSM is the 4G63!

True true. it was just easy to call it a swap. After talking with some people i realized i hadn't thought about everything that would have to be done to accomplish what i wanted. I don't have the time or the money to do something like this. Maybe i'll do it at a later date(much later.)

I am glad I saw this today, I have always wondered about something I saw in Gran Turismo 1. I know its a video game, but at least its one of the more acurate ones since that was the premise of the game was to be as exact to the models as possible. If you select one of the Galant VR-4s (not sure which one, but there are only 2 or 3) It has in the description that one of the options was for either the 6G72 or one of the 6G variants. The car in the game had so much power, that it was hard to do anything but haul a$$ in a straight line. What I wonder is, did Mitsu really offer that as an option at one point with the Galant? If so, they didn't have it long and there is probably a reason for it. That reason could be the same reason its not a good idea for the TEL platform as well.

Gran Turismo 4 features the Mitsubishi Galant Legnum VR4 which is powered by the 6g72TT motor. It is a new body style, 97-98ish. I would assume the car was available in Japan or some other foreign market, otherwise it wouldn't have made it into the game. I know for sure that if it was available somewhere, it definitely was not available here in the states.

Edit: Wikipedia confirms it was the labeled the Legnum in Japan and had a VR4 model, but it was a 2.5L motor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant
>>
The eigth-generation 1996 model (July 7, 1998 in America) continued the 1992 design themes but a station wagon (known in Japan as the Mitsubishi Legnum) was added. The liftback was deleted. This model won the 1996–97 Car of the Year Japan award. Despite being superseded in the U.S. from 2003, it remained on sale in other countries until 2006.

The American market Galant graduated to the EPA mid-size class this year, and the front suspension downgraded from double-wishbones to struts. ES, LS and GTZ models were offered with a V6 engine for the first time, the 6G72 3.0 L, mated to a standard 4-speed conventional auto.

Mitsubishi opted to further develop the technology in its range-topping VR-4, which was now powered by an enlarged 2.5 L V6 twin turbo. The car could be had with either a conventional 5-speed manual or advanced, self-learning 5-speed tiptronic semi-automatic transmission known as "INVECS-II". Also, some models were fitted with the same advanced active yaw control (AYC) as the Evo, to give it far greater agility than would be expected of such a large vehicle. Finally, as with the rest of the range, the VR-4 could now be had either as a Galant sedan or as a Legnum station wagon.

In 1998 the company introduced the Mitsubishi Aspire. Externally identical to the regular Galant, the new model name denoted the newly-introduced gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines.
>>>

I know for a FACT that is has been done.. I have seen it.. just do some searching.. I saw the cat on here that did it... he used the 4g63 tranny and awd system and fabbed an adapter plate so the vr4 motor would fit... It still wouldnt be worth it, but to have someone pop your hood and see a 300 hp v6 that is twin turbo in there, that is a sight...

I know for a FACT that is has been done.. I have seen it.. just do some searching.. I saw the cat on here that did it... he used the 4g63 tranny and awd system and fabbed an adapter plate so the vr4 motor would fit... It still wouldnt be worth it, but to have someone pop your hood and see a 300 hp v6 that is twin turbo in there, that is a sight...

You don't happen to know the user name for who did that. I would love to see it but i'm not finding it.

You don't happen to know the user name for who did that. I would love to see it but i'm not finding it.

+1
I too have seen it, maybe the same shop/person who did the twin engine talon?
Anyway I do know it has been done and they said they would never do it again. Not worth the time and $$$.
-Jason

lord_nikon972 said:
I'm just trying to grasp a good idea, if balance is gonna be a huge issue with the axle alignment before i start fabbing that part of the chassis.

WTF ??? I have no idea what you are trying to say. What does the balance have to do with axle alignment?

lord_nikon972 said:
So with the large low power band i would have a torque monster?

Um not sure what your trying to say here either? I think that you assume that since the engine is a v6 in comparison to the 4 cylinder thats in the car now, that somehow your going to get an ungodly amount of increased torque... Not sure though. If your not happy with the power of your car, turn the boost up or sell it and get a car thats already built.

[/QUOTE=lord_nikon972] Is tube chassis a good idea for a drifter ? Please don't call me stupid people...[/QUOTE]

We don't have to call you stupid, you just did that yourself. You have got to be kidding if you need to ask if a tube chassis is better, not just for drifting, but for any reason whatsoever, and the answer is yes btw.

--- Although I'm not trying to be a smart ass sometimes my replies come off as sarcastic. I'm just trying to help you out without getting your thread locked. I'm not saying the 6g72 can't be put into a Talon chassis. Someone already mentioned that is has been done. It might be a good idea to get into contact with who ever it was that has done the swap and ask them for some advice and photos. Regards, Jayson

so i have a extra eclipse body, no engine or interior. and my friend has a oppritunity to buy a totalled 3000gtvr4. the engine is 130,000 miles but still useable and still good condition. i guesse the motor ran stong befor the wreck. any how, my buddy wants to go in half'seys with me on puttin this 6g72 in my spare body. he wants to make a v6 twin turbo 2g. at first i thought he was crazy but he showed me a youtube video of this lime green 2g (looks like the car on F&F part 1) that has this done! no joke bigger than s#@t. the hood is popped and its started just doin free revs soundin mean as all hell. you can totally see the twin valve cover, and the intake manni clearly has six runners. this is no joke someone pulled it off. my question is do you think my buddy and I are gonna get in way over our heads with this. hes my best friend and ownership and money issues dont scare me if were gonna be 50/50 partners on this but dang. my stupid talon still needs alota work. i cant really pull money aside for another project but it would be cool. just wanted to ask the pro's what their opinion was on a 6g72tt 6spd 2g eclipse would be.

never heard of a 6a12. thats freakin awsome tho! motor looks like it was meant to go in there. doesnt look any tighter than a 3k/stealth engine bay. a 300zx V6tt engine bay is deffinatley tighter in terms of room and stuff than the eclipse v6. how much work do you think went into doin this? i can totally see how a lil custom fab on the front and rear engine mounts would have to be done. looks like the driverside motor mount was just bolted on with no mods. i wonder about the six speed tranny tho. i know for a fact that the 4cylinder rear end would need to be changed. the diff in the six speed tranny would have to have differant ratio then the rear end diff. so 3000gt rear end would be in order. rear sub frame would need a ton of work. how about the front axel's you think the 3000gt axel's would plug into the eclipse hubs? or would we have to switch hubs as well. next major concern of mine is wiring. yeah of course a 3000gt wire harness and ecu would be a must. no problem because it would come with the wrecked car. but my question is, will that engine harness work in conjuction with the eclipse chassis harness? will we have headlights that work? blinkers, brake lights, airbags? drive line length is another concern. any all round mitsubishi experts givin out free advice today?

never heard of a 6a12. thats freakin awsome tho! motor looks like it was meant to go in there. doesnt look any tighter than a 3k/stealth engine bay. a 300zx V6tt engine bay is deffinatley tighter in terms of room and stuff than the eclipse v6. how much work do you think went into doin this? i can totally see how a lil custom fab on the front and rear engine mounts would have to be done. looks like the driverside motor mount was just bolted on with no mods. i wonder about the six speed tranny tho. i know for a fact that the 4cylinder rear end would need to be changed. the diff in the six speed tranny would have to have differant ratio then the rear end diff. so 3000gt rear end would be in order. rear sub frame would need a ton of work. how about the front axel's you think the 3000gt axel's would plug into the eclipse hubs? or would we have to switch hubs as well. next major concern of mine is wiring. yeah of course a 3000gt wire harness and ecu would be a must. no problem because it would come with the wrecked car. but my question is, will that engine harness work in conjuction with the eclipse chassis harness? will we have headlights that work? blinkers, brake lights, airbags? drive line length is another concern. any all round mitsubishi experts givin out free advice today?

well from reading the comments from youtube the engine and transmission bolt on , and he is using megasquirt for a engine management and he spent around $2500 for the parts and he did the work. also he is using the gsx rear differential with the transmission and transfer case that came with the engine. it looks and sounds bad ass LOL

I think this project would be awesome, you could buy the 3kgt take the parts you need, part out what is left and usable and work on it as time lets you. I wish I had the opportunity to do something like this.

It doesn't matter if its a good idea or not. Whats a good idea to you and whats a good idea to him are 2 different things. thats why people are different. Stop criticizing so much. if he has the time, money, patience and heart to do then let him do it. Its not like hes wanting to do the swap to your car. what i am getting at is who cares, stop talkin so much crap and actling like your car is so much better than everyone elses. When it all comes down to it we are all in the same boat, just ordinary people trying to do extraordinary things with out vehicles. Help if you want to, support if you want to but if your just gonna talk crap then dont wast our time having to read the worthless crap you type.

Not sure if you guys know, but there is a thread going on about a 3.0 6g72tt swap going into a 1g right now. He is a local guy from my town, and he's currently working on it to make it happen.

I didn't know that car was local to me I spotted this on craigslist today but the owner claims it's awd as well and it sounds like the motor is damaged he's trying to get 4500 out of it.

the pics show a 6 cylinder motor from a camera phone.

Judging from the valve cover cap its a 6a12 or 13 an aluminum v6 from mitsu.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

eclipse gsx v6 twin turbo f/t f/s

6A12TT is similar engine to 6g72TT,but its 2.0L instead of 3.0L. Its mostly used in the JDM/World market in Galants. The other engine is 6g73 which came in Galants too, but its 2.5L N/A. All three engines look identical with the DOHC heads and stuff and fit 2g engine bay.

6A13TT/DOHC/ is the newer style engine /left side in the engine bay, US passenger side/ and it has 2.5L. Its very similar to 6g73/SOHC/ that came in Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger, but it has dual over head cams. 6A13 wont bolt up in 2g engine bay, it will work in 3g.

6a12 will bolt up and fit in 2g, see picture above

My mistake it was late I was thinking of a diff engine yeah mount wise they would bolt up they use a W5M transmission.

However... it's a2.0 liter engine. ... < 4g63. Unless you want bragging rights about having a tiny 6 cylinder in your ride?

havent posted in some years now. But to conclude my question with a answer on tube chasis or stock tube chassis is the most expensive therefore not better to the average tuner . The 6g72 swap has been done in a 1st gen eclipse/talon/laser on here . To go the cheap route for this swap youll want a donor 3000gt wrecked preferably and whatever vehicle your swapping into . To custom bend your exhaust piping, you will need a mandrel tubing bender. and some nice tube steel about 1 to 2 inches in diameter if you have the time play around with it. The engine bay will need some modifications. Currently i 2 3000gt donor cars for sale if anyone is intrested 900 bucks a pop. With all the accessories nothing removed. I will be posting 2g pics in a few weeks im starting a 6g72 swap this weekend. Anyone wanting dimensions drop me a message.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back