The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

6g72 swap...real or not? [Merged 9-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane147

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
rochester, rochester_new_york
ive had an ongoing argument with a friend about a 6g72 engine swap. its the 3si vr4 engine. dont care if it went in a 1g or 2g, did it ever happen or not, i have found nothing on it.

I've seen the 3000GT NA version of the motor in a 2G on ebay. I don't have the pic anymore...but I thought it was interesting (if it wasn't photochop). The only problem I see with swapping it over is the tranmission/transfer case....I'd imagine it would be huge...plus it's in a different orientation for the transmission.

that looks extactly how mine looks minus the stock air box

too perfect

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i just remembered something!!!

This could be a 95-00 Dodge Avenger with Eclipse Fenders, upper radiator support, headlights, and front bumper.

They will bolt right onto an avenger, all you have to do is move the front radiator support back 2".

Thats what I think that pic is. Because it doesnt look photoshoped. That is an eclipse upper radiator support and the brackets on the headlights are eclipse style not avenger style (they are a little different).

does it really matter? i mean come on its a SOHC V6, maybe putting out 200hp, is that something to get excited over?

i wasnt asking about that engine, thought anyone who had done it would be bright enough to put in the DOHC twin turbo.

Originally posted by insane147
i wasnt asking about that engine, thought anyone who had done it would be bright enough to put in the DOHC twin turbo.

Well being as you cant even fit the DOHC 3.0 liter turbo engine into an Avenger/Sebring, its definately not going to fit in an eclipse.

The heads are too big and hit the firewall and radiator in an avenger whcih has 2 more inches to work with than an eclipse (from firewall to radiator support).

Ok, i have a 2003 tiburon, and its a v6, and its a weak ass motor..... So, here's my plan.... Im gonna take the 6G72 and swap it into my car, then bore it to a 3.05 and put some nice oversized pistons for a 6g72TT into it and putting in the rest of the internals from the6g72TT, then put the head from my tib on there (DOHC) and then turbo the hell out of it. It turns out that the compression wouldnt be as high as i thought as it would. It will be running around or close to 7:1. I need to know what you all think of this idea soon because im about to buy the motor in a couple of days. And after that its just a matter of time.... Let me know if anyone can tall me some problems i might run into and things to watch out for.... thanks...

The room is ungodly....And the mainifoilds will bolt right up according to the info i have gathered. The motor is supposed to be a direct swap and the mounts are looking good as far as everything but i still need to decide on the tranny and the shaft. I beleive i might just go with the stock shaft because they came reinforced on the eclipse with a 6 bolt maybe while the vr4 tt had only a 4 bolt and many of the 3000gt owners switched over to the shaft i have. I may go with the 6 speed tranny from my car or maybe just keep the 5 speed from the motor im holding on to. I was also just thinking about dropping a frnt wheel turbo motor in if this swap would be pointless.... I just need something stronger and able to hold high boost. the 6g72 is supposed to have the capapbilities of holding up to 800 hp to the crank. I may never get that high but i still wanna be faster than the 250 to the wheels that my delta engine is limited by from the tiburon.

Lets say you spent the 6 million dollars it would take to successfully swap these engines. Your car wouldn't turn. The suspension would be more than maxed out and it would be so heavy on the front it would turn like a Camaro. Even if you did swap them, 320hp through 2 wheels=WORHTLESS POWER. Wheelspin all over the place. Good luck, you're going to need lots of it.

Well i wouldnt mind just being a highway racer. But these are the plans for now until i can afford the tranny i want. So for NOW im just gonna keep the tranny from the eclipse block. And yes i agree that the block is extremely heavy but there are parts for my car i can get to lighten the front up alot. If i do everything i have planned, then it will be ok. I have that topic being discussed right now for me. All i came here for is engine help. I heard everyone on this board is more knowledgable about the motors then any other board so I'm here to learn and research with everyones help. I'm still learning but the process is almost done. And as for the 6 million dollars, i dont think so.... i compared the mounts and everything today.... the left side mount of the eclipse 6g72 is the only mount that needs to be made. Everything else seems to be measured and able to bolt right up..... Let me know if anyone has any knowledge about this motor and i will keep you all updated on the progress. The motor goes in in 20 or so days when i have the motor in my hands....

Originally posted by 91 NT Eclipse
Lets say you spent the 6 million dollars it would take to successfully swap these engines. Your car wouldn't turn. The suspension would be more than maxed out and it would be so heavy on the front it would turn like a Camaro. Even if you did swap them, 320hp through 2 wheels=WORHTLESS POWER. Wheelspin all over the place. Good luck, you're going to need lots of it.

its only worthless power if you are too ignorant to know how to launch a FWD (thats you). have a nice day blight.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back