The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Best Turbo? [Merged 9-9] turbocharger upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukster00

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2001
Budd_Lake_NJ
hi, i wona upgrade my turbo on the gsx, and there is so many choices dont know which one to buy, so i asking you pepz wich turbo is best for under 1k for street/strip setup thanks,

Stock head and cams, stock intake manifold, stock ecu, stock exhaust manifold, stock flywheel. Had ARP's and a metal head gasket. I had upgraded to a 50trim and bigger cams and it felt slower. Oh, and I guess I should mention that I didn't have much of an exhaust system. Maybe a foot or 2. Lol.

I feel that cams and headwork should probably be saved for last. The stock head and cams are good for a very good amount of power and you won't have any driveablility or idle issues. Might also take away some power down low.

I'm probably gonna go with a E16g on the new setup versus a 20g (that I've wanted to get again for a VERY long time) all because of the money I'd save and the power levels aren't that far off that can be achieved. Feel I can put that extra money into other things. This time around I wanna go with a water/air setup that I feel would do much better....as well as some other things.

400 WHP? Really, on a 190!? Hard to believe....on how much boost? This sounds too good to be true.

Stock head and cams, stock intake manifold, stock ecu, stock exhaust manifold, stock flywheel. Had ARP's and a metal head gasket. I had upgraded to a 50trim and bigger cams and it felt slower. Oh, and I guess I should mention that I didn't have much of an exhaust system. Maybe a foot or 2. Lol.

I feel that cams and headwork should probably be saved for last. The stock head and cams are good for a very good amount of power and you won't have any driveablility or idle issues. Might also take away some power down low.

I'm probably gonna go with a E16g on the new setup versus a 20g (that I've wanted to get again for a VERY long time) all because of the money I'd save and the power levels aren't that far off that can be achieved. Feel I can put that extra money into other things. This time around I wanna go with a water/air setup that I feel would do much better....as well as some other things.

Wow it seems that this damn turbo is haunting me everytime I ask this question...:hmm:

Maybe this IS the best way to go. Honestly, my reason for not wanting this turbo is because everybody and their grandma has it... I just didnt want to do the 'typical' setup. But I guess the reason ppl use it is because it's proven. :coy:

Well, i shouldnt say an easy 400 on pump, but attainable though. On a 190 fuel pump, you will be pushing its limits, but, can be done. We will see though. Once i get my evo ecu dialed in, and able to get the motor running strong, im going for it. I have -6an proclassic line or order from the tank to rail, and a fuel lab fuel filter, i'll have some bigger injectors by that time, and i will be going for 400 or more.

James :dsm::talon::laser:

Yeah, everyone has Eagle rods too. Lol. I know everyone has this turbo. I wanna get mine ported and clipped. That's not something you see a lot of people do though. Gonna go with a 190 pump so I don't have to worry about an afpr. I was making power on an untouched ecu and the ONLY thing I had for tuning was a wideband and a gm translator. And if it makes ya feel any better, on my fwd, I could be going 100 mph and punch the gas and smoke em until I let off the gas. Probably could've done better at the track but couldn't heat up my slicks enough to get them sticky. Would hit the e-brake to do a burnout but the car would pull forward and drag the rear tires.

I'd normally be screaming 20g!!!! But got to thinking about the money I'd be saving....and I hate buying used turbo's with no warranty and no idea how long they'd last.

Ok NOW Im looking into the 20g 6sl2. They seem legit, so many choices!!

I was looking at that one as well. But just couldn't find anyone who has put down any good numbers. Personally, if I go with a 20g again, I'm going with a Buschur 20g. Definitely a proven turbo. But don't care to spend over $1k on a turbo plus an external wastegate, blah blah blah.

Anyway, here's a vid that'll show what I'm talking about (if it matters), not getting to heat up my slicks. If I had, I'm sure I would've been able to stomp my 7.7 timeslip.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry, posted wrong video originally.

That 20g is nice, but i would opt for a green at that point. That is 1000 dollar turbo. I bought mine for 400 bucks.

James :dsm::talon::laser:

I run a 35r on my 2.3 setup and its beastly. Not very laggy at all. You can find a great used one for a great price like I can.

Is there a bolton gt35r out there? Don't all the bolton FP chargers use the little gt30 turbine wheel?

You can get the scm6152 with the gt35r compressor wheel and the old scuel t350 turbine wheel that fp likes, but the bolton housing is pretty much a terrible waste of a casting process. The lousy flow is very apparent. . . There's the 6169. Still just a gt35r compressor wheel. But with a non-gt335r turbine wheel that's a little better than the t350 wheel. That shows some potential, but again you choke that potential away with their bolton housing.

I've yet to see a bolton turbo make more power than the bolton a/r (.55 bep) hx40. Although I wouldn't doubt a .55 a/r s362 or s366 could possibly do similar. Same or better flowing compressor same high boost potential and wide lowboost capable map. Big turbine wheel that seams to spool very well for what it should be able to flow.

. . .But you can't get those particular BW turbos with a bolton flange according to the Bullseye website. . .

i know there are a lot of posts about this subject on the forums. but i dont feel any of them help me the way i need to be helped ROFL
i have a 92GSX current upgrades are
255 walbro
FIC 650s
AFPR
3" apexi N1, cat delete
HKS VPC and GCC

im pretty sure i have the 14b, but i have seen my boost gauge at 17psi, which is higher then stock.
i am looking to find a decent setup to swap in the next few months. and i just need to know what i need to save for. im going to need a mani, fmic, and proably another o2 housing depending on turbo flange. i drive my car about 50 miles a day easily and sometimes take 100+ mile road trips. i was considering getting a boost controller so no matter what turbo i got, i could limit it to just 8 or so psi for DD. i basicly want the bang for the buck that is gonna last me for a while. i want to be one a done with this :rocks:

Go with a Evo 3 16G great turbo. Just make sure you up on all your maintainance. Oh and get something to tune with, i didnt see anything on the post about that. SAFC, DSMLink ect,ect....

What are you lookin for power wise. I would go with a Evo 3 16G great turbo. Just make sure you up on all your maintainance. Oh and get something to tune with, i didnt see anything on the post about that. SAFC, DSMLink ect,ect....

You might try a small16g or just get a boost controller and use your 14b to its potential. You can always run a big turbo and high boost on a daily driver then control boost with your foot. It doesn't matter how far you are going or what type of turbo you have at cruise. As long as you are out of boost a t25 or an HX52 are nearly the same thing. The only real difference is going to be how quickly you come out of cruise when you step on it.

the vpc and gcc is the tuning device that i have. what about the 20g? is it too big for the application? ie, fuel flow. if i have to upgrade injector size then i have to upgrade fuel controller, id like to stay away from that. but i know i have enough fuel flow for a lot more air.

oh, and another thing. is it a good idea to upgrade top end? valve springs, lifters, etc. the car ran lean before i had it and the exhaust system from the mani, to the down-pipe shows overheat, i worry about putting more power to it when they may be heat stressed, if that is the correct terminology for it.

Big 16g or EVO 3 16g, spools up quick like a 14b, but keeps the power till red line instead of falling on the top end. Plenty of power for the street and weekend track. Direct bolt on and you can find them all over the classifieds from week to week cheap used. Plus those injectors will be big enough too.

i'd do a small 16g or the big one along with 2g maf:D, get a used evo fmic if your on a budget and not planning to go over 400 hp anytime soon.

im pretty sure i have the 14b, but i have seen my boost gauge at 17psi, which is higher then stock.QUOTE]

If your not even absolutly sure you have a 14b, what else are you not sure off on your car?

To get full enjoyment out of a 20g you would have to upgrade your injectors and get a tuning device that can control timing, like dsmlink. like everyone said an evo 3 16g would be perfect for your set up, they are relatively cheap and easy to find. make sure you get a good mbc, I like the hallman pro

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back