The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

6g72 swap...real or not? [Merged 9-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane147

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
rochester, rochester_new_york
ive had an ongoing argument with a friend about a 6g72 engine swap. its the 3si vr4 engine. dont care if it went in a 1g or 2g, did it ever happen or not, i have found nothing on it.

:dsm:
I have recently entered the USAF sold my old DSM and bought an 03 Eclipse GTS. I realize that it isnt technically a DSM and that it has never been done before but I am ready and willing to make it happen.
I have found the motor for my current 3g Eclipse GTO hybrid and everything but the motor mounts and the AWD Drive shaft. Does anyone know of where I could find an AWD drive shaft and the motor mounts. Also does anyone know of a shop in or near Northern California that might be inteterested in working on a project like this?

I am going to attempt to run a
Mitsubishi JDM 6G72 Twin Turbo/AWD/6spd set up
if I can find all the necasary parts.
Thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,
A1C Bohrisch, Donald
-USAF

Sounds like a cool project! You might have to fab up some mounts and maybe even a driveshaft. Do you already have the tranny (or will the stock tranny work with the 6G72)? Sorry don't know any specifics but it sounds like your almost there! Keep us posted and hopefully someone with a bit more 3G experience wil chime in!

About 3 weeks ago I purchased the 2003 Eclipse GTS w/ shiftronic transmission(the auto/manual tranny). I miss my old cars handling and power so I figure that I would try something new.
So far I have found a motor/tranny package from Osaka motorsports for $2700(shipped) which includes
"complete swap with the turbos, uncut harness, ecu and all the other required parts to do the swap, for the 6sp complete swap shipped to your door $2650 the motor is very clean and comes with very
low miles too, and the turbos too are in very good shape"
Currently I am in search of any advice that I might be able to aquire and a place where I can find the motormounts for my project.
If anyone can help it would be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
A1C Bohrisch, Donald M.D.
-USAF

Has anyone swapped a 6g72tt into a V6 galant 99-02, I have a 95 VR-4 and a 99 Galant. The engines are the same block 6g72 the only thing that I would think is different is the wiring harness. Let me know what you think. If it is possable or not...

Hell anything's possible. Actually what you are talking about already exists.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Go to www.clubvr4.co.uk for some more info on the GVR4 that we never got.

Ok maybe this is a stupid question but I still want to know... I have a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi FWD and I want to know what engine does my car have??? and what does that numbers (4G63, 4G64 and 6G72) means???

I want to buy somehtings to my engine, but first I want to be sure what engine does my car have.. Can some body tell me???... I don't want to spend money with parts that wont fit my car....

Thanks in advance

You have a 4G63.

The 4g64 is in the 2g spyder and a few other mitsu vehicles.

The 6G72 is in the 3000GT.

Is there anyway to drop a 6g72 out of a caravan (if that is the same motor i have been researching for weeks) into a 1g talon ? i have everything to do it, i have welding machine, blow torches, full setup shop and everything. How would i go about taking measurements to ensure proper axle alignment and motor tilt ? This is a project i am doing because i have a caravan motor sitting aound with tranny, i figured if i took the bell housing off the carvan tranny and made me a conversion plate to adapt to my stock 1g tranny it might work out. Another idea would be just throwing on a GM tranny and going RWD(drift baby drift) i got a little bit of dough but i was just wanting to DIY, Does the motor and tranny off of the caravan sit reversed as the TALON e/t ? i see alot of posts about 6g72 swaps but no real info on it. Im seriously dedicated to this and will share pictures and write a guide on how to do it, I already have the motor bored and decked. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :dsm: :talon: :laser: :thumb:

Have you looked at the amount of space under the hood of your car? There's no way in HELL that 6G72 is gonna fit in there. Why would you take one out of a Caravan anyway? If you're thinking about attempting this swap, use a damn 6G72TT out of a 3SI. I guarantee, unless you have wads of cash, that this will never work though. People are always asking about crazy engine swaps, and not one has ever seen the light of day.

That motor would probably weigh your car down way to much. How much faster do you think your car would be? I mean, the motor is out of a MINI-VAN As for a drifter, I think that would be kick ass. Have Fun :thumb:

yea, minivans arent tuned for high power output from the factory, they are tuned for a large low range power band...

and the 6g72tt barley fits in the 3000gt, so my guess is it wont fit in a talon...

it will not fit unless you are doing a tube frame chassis. montana bros. chassis out here on l.i. has a 1st gen eclipse with a 6g72tt motor stuffed in it, but it is a full drag race car.

ok coming form the 3si community 1. the motor you're talking about im almsot 100% sure is the SOHC 6G72 which also comes in 97-99 BASE model 3000GTs and a few base Stealths. THis engine is crap. i had one, and there was almost no way of eeking out any power. However i do believe it would fit, this version of the 6g72 is much smaller that the TT, but the power gains would be minimal, since the 4g63t puts out more power than the sohc motor-about 180 to the fly. Now the possibility of swapping in the sohc and turbo-ing it since it has a 9.0 compression where as the DOHC 6g72 has 10.0 is a possibillity, if you want to go balls to the walls with thinking outside the box. :shhh:

yeah, i have a garrett turbo im gonna slap on it, i have been workin on a chromoly chassis for about 3 months now, i will send pics if anyone is interested and i have the schematics / plans if anyone wants a copy. Im just trying to grasp a good idea, if balance is gonna be a huge issue with the axle alignment before i start fabbing that part of the chassis. Any suggestions on this? thanks to everyone for any info, this is not a crazy idea to me, i have no house and i live in my shop so i have nothing else better to do than tweak this out. How did top secret get so famous ? doin crazy stuff....right people ? On the GM tranny im not for sure though, but RWD is the major factor and 6cylinders. Thanks to all. :dsm: :talon: :laser: So with the large low power band i would have a torque monster?

BTW. the motor i got is a SOHC, i didn't want to go DOHC because i wanted to leave that open, i do have a 6g72 DOHC n/t also for sale if anyone is intrested. And is it okay to measure by drop in and leveling ? Is tube chassis a good idea for a drifter ? Please don't call me stupid people....don't forget i got this baby ported/polished/O.B.

P.S. doesn't the 6g72 SOHC pump out 142 HP ? about 50-60 under the 4g63 n/a ? sorry this is poorly written. I beleive this question has been asked alot so why not throw some answers out there eventually its gonna be done and im gonna do it.

And one more question, can you interchange blocks of 6g72 SOHC to DOHC or vice versa ? I slapped the head on already and forgot to check, cause if they do im probably gonna hold on to my DOHC.

What would it be like to swap in the 6G72TT out of a VR4 into my 91 Talon TSI? Is it plausible and even worth the time and money? Also what would the tranny and driveshaft have to be? Can it be done?

What would it be like to swap in the 6G72TT out of a VR4 into my 91 Talon TSI? Is it plausible and even worth the time and money? Also what would the tranny and driveshaft have to be? Can it be done?

The entire thing is pontless. Why swap a motor in your that can't make as much power as the one you already have?

I think the fastest a VR4 has ever gone is 9 seconds.

There would be no room and you'd never see the power.

The entire thing is pontless. Why swap a motor in your that can't make as much power as the one you already have?

I think the fastest a VR4 has ever gone is 9 seconds.

There would be no room and you'd never see the power.

Agreed. As much as I love the 6g72, the aftermarket available for it is nothing compared to our 4g63s. The swap would cost a pretty penny and be extremely complicated.
The 6g72 has been in the 9 second range for a little over a year now, looking to break into the 8's before the year is up. There are about 3 different cars that could break in at any time with a great run - yet only one is a full out race car. Each is putting down around or upwards of 900 awhp. So, can you make the power? Yes. Is it easy or affordable? Not usually, especially compared to a 4g63.

Edit: To 1GDSMGUY - remember it does have another turbo, a v-shaped block with 2 extra cylinders, pistons, rods, etc. You can't compare the weight of it to that of a 4g63, they are two completely different motors.

Alright thanks for the input. I had thought about weight and size difference but i wasnt sure how much of a difference it would make. And as to 1GDSMGUY's question no i dont have one laying around(i wish i did) i was looking at the JDM versions out of a GTO. They make more power then the american version so i was gonna use one of those. I've never heard of anything like this being done and wanted to try something different.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back