The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

6g72 swap...real or not? [Merged 9-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane147

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
rochester, rochester_new_york
ive had an ongoing argument with a friend about a 6g72 engine swap. its the 3si vr4 engine. dont care if it went in a 1g or 2g, did it ever happen or not, i have found nothing on it.

Ok so I've been thinking on possible swaps for my 99 oz gs. I thought about doing a stratus/420a hybrid, might do that. Already crossed out a evo swap. Well now I'm thinking about swapping a 6g72 out of a 00 3g eclipse gt. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any info on it?

I see someone asking if this is photoshop? is it? I have a 4g64 2.4l 16v sohc right now that just took a shit on me in my 97 eclipse gs spyder and am trying to see about turning it into a project car and throwing in a 6g72 in its place and obviously continuing to swap out parts to fit it as the money comes, but i need to know if it'll fit without much fab work. So let me know

havent posted in some years now. But to conclude my question with a answer on tube chasis or stock tube chassis is the most expensive therefore not better to the average tuner . The 6g72 swap has been done in a 1st gen eclipse/talon/laser on here . To go the cheap route for this swap youll want a donor 3000gt wrecked preferably and whatever vehicle your swapping into . To custom bend your exhaust piping, you will need a mandrel tubing bender. and some nice tube steel about 1 to 2 inches in diameter if you have the time play around with it. The engine bay will need some modifications. Currently i 2 3000gt donor cars for sale if anyone is intrested 900 bucks a pop. With all the accessories nothing removed. I will be posting 2g pics in a few weeks im starting a 6g72 swap this weekend. Anyone wanting dimensions drop me a message.

Any chance the swap was successful? If so, i realize its been some time since this posting but if you could shoot me some pics and/or video I'd appreciate it.
Went through a loss recently and looking to turn my 2g mitsubishi eclipse gs spyder into a project and am trying to see if moving forward with a 6g72 instead of a stock 4g64 would up the ante (in reference to performance)

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to see that someone is still posting on this thread. I really would love to just go all motor and use the 6g72 in a 1g but without the information, I am skeptical.

lord_nikon972: where did you see a 1g with a 6g72 swap?

Most likely it was here: https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/jjordan01190s-talon-n-t.9124/

I know this is an OLD ass thread but I was looking into this recently and this is what I came up with and found. Hope this helps you out some my brotha!

As far as I remember, he went with the NA one instead of the TT because it is much easier to get inside there and get running but this so far is the only one I've seen that basically was closest to working or running and driving in this entire forum. There was another one which was the red DSM with he TT engine inside but that thread died off because the guy never finished the swap or kept up with the information about the swap whether or not it was completed so safe to say he probably didn't.

Would be cool to see more of these swaps done though! Yeah yeah yeah, the 4G63 is the greatest engine ever blah blah blah. Same old same old I've heard throughout the years. 6G72 swaps seem like they'd be a VERY strong force to be messed with in a 1G though cuz it's far lighter, still can be AWD or FWD and both 63 & 72 have been in the mid 8's or lower so I'm sure it's possible to get into the 7's with a 72 just like the 63 in one of these more so than a 3KGT. More should pursue this and open up this lane of swapping so we can have more of it more often!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back