The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Electrical or Mechanical Gauges? [Merged 9-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSiAWD91

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Rochester_Ny
Ok i ordered an autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge today on accident.i wanted to get the electrical,but for some reason i picked the mechanical.anyways,i was wondering if the mechanical gauge is a PITA to install and if i should send back the one i ordered to get the electrical gauge,or if its not too bad of an install.thanks for any help!!:D

Okay my friend just bought a dry kit for his integra, and for christmas me and his girl are trying to get him some gauges. an airfuel, and nitrous gauge. Now we want it inside of his car so he can tell from inside whats going on with the bottle.

So we were going to spend a grip on that electrical gauge. But I wanted to check to see if there is a problem with them or if they are in accurate or whatever?

Also should we get him a mechanical one and put it inside or not? I know I wouldn't do this for oil pressure, but thats just me, is it the same for nitrous?

I did do a bit of searching, but I never found exactly what I was looking for, any infor would be helpful, thanks.

An A/F ratio gauge will not work with nitrous. The fact that nitrous is an oxidizer means that there is a huge ammount of O2 added to the combustion mixture. The added O2 will make the readings on an A/F gauge useless. Not that they aren't useless already. As for the nitrous pressure gauge I've never seen an electronic one. I run an autometer phantom mechanical pressure gauge and have never had any issues. Less things to go wrong if you ask me.

So you can run the mechanical gauge inside the car, next the cluster, and thats okay right?

And correct if I"m wrong please, I'm new to nitrous, but would the air/fuel gauge help if he was running nitrous and for some reason his fuel cut out, woudn't it bounce to lean right away? (under nitrous).

If I shouldn't get him the air/fuel gauge, what other gauge would u recommend. His car is basically stock, with a 55 shot.

The gauge is fine in the car. I never had any problems with mine.

The A/F is useless. He could use an EGT/Pyrometer to monitor exhaust gas temp.

A dry kit from NOS will close the solenoid if the fuel pressure drops to low. If the gauge were to go lean it would be a little too late for him to save the motor, so I wouldn't even bother.

I was wondering what kind of guages I should go with? Mechanical or Electronic? What are the pros and cons for both? Money is not really an object here, but I don't want to spend money on something that I will have to replace later because I should have bought something different.

james242k2 said:
I was wondering what kind of guages I should go with? Mechanical or Electronic? What are the pros and cons for both? Money is not really an object here, but I don't want to spend money on something that I will have to replace later because I should have bought something different.

If you have the $$, go with electronic, esp if it is something to do with fluids. I would not want run an oil line or water temp line on my pillar gauge. Liquid and interior do not mix.

i would also go with electronic ones, even though they are more expensive, they are a little more reliable. i've heard too many cases where the lines don't stay connected to the back of the gauges, one of the mechanical pieces breaks, etc. maybe it's just a personal preference, i don't know, but electronic ones seem easier in general.

james242k2 said:
I was wondering what kind of guages I should go with? Mechanical or Electronic?

Mechanical for boost and all other gauges I would get electronic.

james242k2 said:
What are the pros and cons for both?

Electronic sometimes are a bit more expensive, but are better for like fuel pressure and other fluid gauges. I got my boost gauge mechanical because I wanted the psi directly off the manifold not what the ecu was telling it.

dalatinromeo said:
Mechanical for boost and all other gauges I would get electronic.

Electronic sometimes are a bit more expensive, but are better for like fuel pressure and other fluid gauges. I got my boost gauge mechanical because I wanted the psi directly off the manifold not what the ecu was telling it.

Your reasoning for having a mechanical boost gauge is slightly flawed. You can use a pressure sensor on the mainfold as well.

On anything you want to be able to monitor through logging, or need to be extremely accurate, I'd use an electronic gauge. Also you do not want to route fuel through the interior of your car. Coolant and oil aren't as flammable so they're not usually too bad, however they both get fairly hot. Using an isolator on pressure lines can solve this problem with mechanical gauges because essentially it isolates a "safe" liquid that does not get hot for the interior, and the hot coolant or oil, or flammable fuel in the engine compartment.

I think Mechanical gauges are almost preferred (for reliability) on the basis of there's less to go wrong with them. A mechanical gauge is extremely simple, and therefor is much less likely to fail, however Electronic gauges have made huge strides in making up that gap.

The end decision has to come down to cost, ease of installation, accuracy, and reliability.

Personally I'll be using electronic gauges from VDO.

Thanks for the help. I will probably get a mechanical boost gauge and everything else electrical. One more question though, what is the best brand out there? I want a clean look. I am looking to get started on everything in January so I need to make up my mind soon. Any suggestions are appreciated. Oh yeah one more thing. I am thinking of getting an AEM EMS, what gauges and/or controllers will I not need if I get it?
-Tony

I hear of so many mech gauges leaking is the way to go with the electric. How easy is the install for the electric?

Install for the electric is as simple as plugging in the sensor to a pressure source, and running the wire to the gauge. Takes all of 5 minutes and you have the peace of mind that there isn't hot engine oil coming into the cabin with a mechanical gauge.

blackgsx summed it up. It is a very simple install. Wiring from sensor to gauge, power source to gauge, gauge to ground. done deal. just make sure not to leave any wire exposed and solder all the connections.

Electric is the way to go.
best of luck

Yes, electric is the way to go. I wouldn't want to run a pressurized oil line into the interior of the car.

I run mechanical. If you install it properly (ie. Understand the risk of running a pressurized oil line into the cabin, and plan accordingly, using proper lines & fittings) there can be some small benefits. Think real time oil pressure. But thats just my opinion.

BREW said:
I run mechanical. If you install it properly (ie. Understand the risk of running a pressurized oil line into the cabin, and plan accordingly, using proper lines & fittings) there can be some small benefits. Think real time oil pressure. But thats just my opinion.
I run mechanical aswell and im using the nylon tubing that came with the gauge. Hasnt given me any troubles.

Ok, I've searched everywhere for this answer, but have come up with nothing. I just got my autometer mech. oil pressure gauge, and im wondering about the install. How reliable would it be to use that nylon line for running hot pressurized oil into my cabin??? I'm a little weary about that, and would gladly replace that for a ss line, but to find a ss line that is:
1. the right size
2. the right length
3. fastens to the fittings supplied with my gauge

I have a hard time thinking that it would be easier to get a ss line, only because of the fittings issue (#3), do they even make a ss line that small??? If so, where can i get it?? Can they come with a kit to bolt right up to my gauge and create a trouble free install for me??? Someone please give me answers, thanks.

I don't want to sound mean, or give you any of those "you should've done this..." scenarios; but running "hot pressurized oil" into your cabin is a risk you accepted when you bought the mechanical gauge. For the money you already spent on the gauge, plus the money you're going to spend on SS lines, you could have bought an electronic gauge. The advantage to these, obviously, is that they come with zero risk. If possible, I recommend re-selling it on eBay, or here on the classifieds, and picking up an electronic gauge.

the nylon line they supply you with is junk, go to a local parts store and pick up copper tubbing to replace the nylon.

VelocitàPaola said:
I don't want to sound mean, or give you any of those "you should've done this..." scenarios; but running "hot pressurized oil" into your cabin is a risk you accepted when you bought the mechanical gauge. For the money you already spent on the gauge, plus the money you're going to spend on SS lines, you could have bought an electronic gauge. The advantage to these, obviously, is that they come with zero risk. If possible, I recommend re-selling it on eBay, or here on the classifieds, and picking up an electronic gauge.

The reason I went mechanical is because of the fact that I can get my true oil pressure, I'd rather not rely on a sensor to tell me my oil pressure, if it goes bad and the reading is off, I wouldnt know it, mechanical is the most reliable, thats why

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back