The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Electrical or Mechanical Gauges? [Merged 9-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSiAWD91

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2002
Rochester_Ny
Ok i ordered an autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge today on accident.i wanted to get the electrical,but for some reason i picked the mechanical.anyways,i was wondering if the mechanical gauge is a PITA to install and if i should send back the one i ordered to get the electrical gauge,or if its not too bad of an install.thanks for any help!!:D

1991GSXAWD said:
the nylon line they supply you with is junk, go to a local parts store and pick up copper tubbing to replace the nylon.

They make flexable 1/8 inch copper tubing?? What about those ferrule things that they give you with the kit, would those be able to secure onto a copper line?

yes, the copper tubing is the replacement for the nylon, if you can't get the copper tubing at local parts store(some carry it) than you will have to get it at a speed shop

1991GSXAWD said:
yes, the copper tubing is the replacement for the nylon, if you can't get the copper tubing at local parts store(some carry it) than you will have to get it at a speed shop

Hmm, would you think that this part would be found at a dealership??? I just moved from CT to Illinois, I have no idea where anything would be around here except a huge Mitsubishi dealership, how about home depot or something like that, my local autozone is filled with a bunch of stoner spanish speaking illegal aliens, and they have nothing.

Yes, 6 ft. of 1/8" flexible copper tubing, w/ ferrules, etc. - made by Autometer specifically for their gauges.

A freind did not route his nylon line well at all and it rubbed a belt... cut it open causing a ton of fun! Im glad I was there because I smelled something was not right (burning oil) but it did make a mess out of the engine bay. Plus if it was not stopped in time could have destroyed the motor.

I have since had my own leak inside the cabin and decided to order an electric... damn thing in full sweep runs $200... ebay deal $75 (NIB) and cant say I miss the mechanicals moodyness, air bubbles, kinks, leaks and overall in my opinion more trouble then its worth. But with a stonger line (copper) it should be better

My god... $200 is quite a bit of money for a gauge. I would just go with a short sweep Phantom for about $60 and call it a day. I don't need to know my oil pressure down to 1psi, ~10 psi is good enough.

Glad to see you found a deal on it though.

what are the pro's and con's between the 2 types of gauges? because i'm thinking about getting some new Auto Meter Carbon Fiber gauges but i dont know what type to get

:dsm:

Get mechanical gauge for boost, and electrical gauges for like oil pressure, fuel pressure (unless you are putting the gauge on the fpr), temp gauges.

Yoshi said:
what are the pro's and con's between the 2 types of gauges? because i'm thinking about getting some new Auto Meter Carbon Fiber gauges but i dont know what type to get

:dsm:
Pros:
Mechanical- They are generally more accurate, and have fewer parts that can go bad.
Electric- Easier to install and no chance of leaks in your cab

Cons:
Mecachnical- You have to run lines containing the fluid into your cab for the gauge to work so there is a chance of leaks and more serious problems.
Electric- Well it is electric so voltage drops in your charging system can cause faulty readings. Plus there are more components involved so more chances for failure

I hope this helps.

Which one is the safe one, i am getting water temp, but say i am getting fuel which one isnt the one thats sends fuel to the guage casue it might leak and cause fire

Electrical, but those are never cheap. If you have the money go electric for any fluid type you are monitoring. Ive seen the Hondas that have oil pressure in the A-pillar. They had it stolen and it left some small oil stains on the seat.

I've got a mech. oil pressure gauge on my 1G. Came with the car, and I'm going to replace it, probably on monday, with an electric gauge. Cleaning up the car & putting it back together, there was a fine coating of oil behind the radio. I'm just not comfortable with having hot oil piped into the cockpit. Perhaps if it were done better to start, but still.

I've got an underhood fuel pressure now, but if/when I decide to put a fuel pressure in the cockpit, I'm going to get a mechanical gauge with an isolator line. An autometer sport comp 100 psi mechanical fuel gauge is about $40-50, and their isolator is another $100. Quicker response and still less than an electric gauge.

Most of the time, at least with autometer, the price difference is about $10. (Not for fuel pressure, though...) You do have to worry about senders going out, but that's cheap insurance in my book.

-M

My gauge buying proccess has 3 determining factors: #1 Cost, #2 Features, and #3 Color/Style so it matches.

I have electronic gauges and they have suited me just fine. Although, they sure did come at a price.

i work at napa and i found a electric gauge and a couple mechanical but the electric is cheaper for some reason. i think its because its a vdo and the others are autometer

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back