The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2018 Shootout

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you ever have anything good to say?

The sky is blue.

Absolutely f'ing killed me. ROFL

On topic: Definitely not going to make it this year...however, next year...it's doable. Now that I live closer to the shootout and it's only like an 8-10 hour drive, and I have a reliable DSM with A/C and creature comforts..definitely doable.

Let's not forget the year one of the motels almost got burned to the ground - anyone remember the huge black mark all the way up the exterior wall from the fire in the parking lot? Can't remember which motel it was. It can get a little crazy.

If you're into DSMs at all you really should attend the event at least once, even if you can't bring your own car. Nothing lasts forever, and the community will continue to shrink. I had a great time when I made it out. I can't make it this year since I'm the best man at my brother in law's wedding that weekend here in NorCal. He's obviously not a DSMer.

I drove a modified DSM to most of my 25 Shootouts (11-12 hours each way). Many were we done in mid 11 second DSM, which was considered very fast in the late 90's/early 00's ;). And they were even more likely to break! So it can be done!

One of the problems is motivation, back those days, mid 11 second DSM was actually competitive in heads up classes. Where as now, you need 9/10 second DSM. But that is progress!

I personally wouldnt miss it for anything period, if I lived 20 hrs away or in another country I would be there, its that important to me, too many memories and Im too sentimental to not be there for the event, the cars and everyone, it would hurt to be somewhere else on that date and know what is going on and me not being there involved in every second of it, its that big of a deal. The last day is always a terrible day for me because I dont want it to end, its actually very depressing and hard for me to even leave the track and get motivated to drive home, so much so that the last few years I have taken the next day off so that I can stay one last night and drive home the next day, Dave Buschur had said he agreed and that he felt the same way so at least its not just me. Once you go, you wont be able to miss it ever again without feeling this way to at least some degree, in my case I have it bad haha, so many good memories of friends that I took there and camped with that I no longer have a relationship with, and the notorious Canadians over the years and the stuff that they have pulled off, things like that make it what it is to me.

Is anyone one driving up from south Florida that I can catch a ride with? I’m in st. Augustine.

Stay at the track, its free and you wake up there on time without having to wait in line to get in while all of the fastest stuff is breaking on the track.

Is anyone one driving up from south Florida that I can catch a ride with? I’m in st. Augustine.
Im sure that multiple guys are driving up from South Florida, maybe go to the local area of the site and see if anyone is active on there?

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be my third one and first one with my new to me DSM. Met a few friends there who also share the same passion for DSMs like I do. I always make sure that I make room for this event because it is one of my favorite things to do. Cant wait to see all who show up this year!

I have never been. It has always been on my list. I plan to go this year no matter what. If I can't get this potential wheel bearing issue sorted out by then, I'll bring the Autozam instead. But since I've never been, I don't really understand their brief description on the Shootout Facebook page. At the moment I can't even hit 12 psi without it falling on its face; I don't really have a desire to race the GSX, and it looks like I might not be able to participate much if I bring the Autozam? I'm coming regardless but I don't really understand how this works...

Yeah, not driving 18 hours through the dog days of summer to stay in a motel in the middle of nowhere.

I'd be down to car caravan with some Houston people next year. I think my car could make it probably 12 hours before first breakdown.

AutoX / Max effort just got canceled. Apparently due to the participation money not paying for the cost to run it.

Also I heard a rumor that English and Jeff Bush will not be attending this year. Which sucks because I always enjoy watching ETS run.

Man I hope this is not the start of a downward spiral. I have been attending for about 8 years now. I would never have anything to look forward to all year.

Last edited:
AutoX / Max effort just got canceled. Apparently due to the participation money not paying for the cost to run it.

Also I heard a rumor that English and Jeff Bush will not be attending this year. Which sucks because I always enjoy watching ETS run.

Man I hope this is not the start of a downward spiral. I have been attending for about 8 years now. I would never have anything to look forward to all year.

WOW, canceling autox is a big blow! That takes me out of bringing my Spyder, but I could still bring my Summit next year.

But English racing had to come from the west coast, that is one LONG trip! That news doesn't surprise me ;)

Canceling AUTOX wasn't the the best thing to do. I know many people who bring their cars there just to run it and end up running bracket because of it. I'm glad I didn't try and rush to get my car done just to make it in the past because I would have been pissed. It's only 2.5 hours away from me and my buddy and I are debating on going because of what's happening the last few years :(

They were talking about no autox at last years event due to low participation and the space constraints of running it, the event continues to grow and parking is a problem with the autox.

Do you need a nhra license to run test and tune?
No.

What time is the best time to get there? I noticed you can buy spectator tickets at Buschur instead of at the gate. I'm guessing to reduce traffic coming into the event. Since this will be my first time, I'm just trying to plan ahead best I can with everything. I also plan to bring a cooler with food and drinks.. assuming no issues with that

Every one
They were talking about no autox at last years event due to low participation and the space constraints of running it, the event continues to grow and parking is a problem with the autox.
Canceling AUTOX wasn't the the best thing to do. I know many people who bring their cars there just to run it and end up running bracket because of it. I'm glad I didn't try and rush to get my car done just to make it in the past because I would have been pissed. It's only 2.5 hours away from me and my buddy and I are debating on going because of what's happening the last few years :(
WOW, canceling autox is a big blow! That takes me out of bringing my Spyder, but I could still bring my Summit next year.

But English racing had to come from the west coast, that is one LONG trip! That news doesn't surprise me ;)

There are efforts being made by Jimmy to get AutoX back at the shootout. I am confident that he will make it happen. I will keep everyone posted if I hear anything. Shoot an email to Jimmy Bowling at Buschur Racing or chime in on his Facebook post here:Https://m.facebook.com/jimmybowling1980/posts/10156237367443941 and volunteer to work AutoX. I'm assuming it will end up being like a normal AutoX event this year if it happens. Race, work, rest. But who knows.

What time is the best time to get there? I noticed you can buy spectator tickets at Buschur instead of at the gate. I'm guessing to reduce traffic coming into the event. Since this will be my first time, I'm just trying to plan ahead best I can with everything. I also plan to bring a cooler with food and drinks.. assuming no issues with that

If your not racing I would say be there around 10 - 11. I personally will be there at about 9. Really the earlier the better. And no issues with food or coolers.

THE DSM SO as I will refer to it as because that what it is ...still. NO DSMs no event, nobody gives a f*** about the GTRs and there isn't enough EVOs to make a one day event of the thing.

The DSM SO is the greatest import racing event in the world...bar none. These are the fastest imports and always have been, anybody who is anybody comes to this event. There is nothing else like it. The event actually used to beg other imports to show up and race but there was literally 0 competition so they quit it.

I don't see this event going any where any time soon. Attendance as far as I know is up every single year. SO if we used to have a SO with only 30-40 people and now there is 8000.... I am not too worried.

The autox has come and gone more than once, don't read between the lines.

ETS not coming, it's like a 3 week ordeal for them to come. I love that they have been coming but to be honest I can't believe they came as many times as they have, so much work for their entire team.

Vegas' comment is classic jealously, how ignorant. If you are a true DSMer there is NOTHING that compares to this and you will find any way or reason possible to get there.

Literally my best friends in life will all be at this event.

If you don't go, it is your failure, you are the one missing out on all the fun. I have been to pretty much any type of racing event there is and nothing compares with this.

The parties rule as well, you never know what you are gonna get. DSMers by nature are open minded people with mechanical abilities and mods on the brain, that is why the event rules, we are the smartest of the car guys out there, we are taking 200hp cars and some are making 1500hp now. GO to a LS function and blaaaah boring, etc etc. Fancy AUDI events are like a f***ing snooze fest, F1 races are about how much $$ people have. THE DSM SO is the ultimate true car guy event, no pu$$ies allowed, your motor blows up, 20 people help you rebuild it in a parking lot through the night.

Aww man now I am all fired up, and then there is that adrenaline rush when you drive your car to the event, that lump in your throat of "is my car going to make it?", the butterflies, I love the rush!! The friends, the racing, the whole things.

See you all there .....SHOOTOUT ; 7 days and counting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back