The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

General What the preferred Wideband in 2020?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffwithaG

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2017
Flemington, New_Jersey
I am incrementally upgrading my car with the intentions of getting ECM/DSM link at some point. I am wanting to get opinions on Wideband setups. I have read through some posts that were somewhat dated and wanted to know any current issues I should be aware of. I was leaning towards AEM as I read its easily compatible with DSMLink. However I've seen some positive reviews for Innovative LC2 and some mentions of Autometer. I wanted to get a sense of what users are experiencing or any regrets/praises of your setups? My car is still on the stock T25 with a 3" turbo back. I would eventually like a larger Turbo, but I'm several years from that. Also, this is a project car that sees about 3k miles a year. Thanks in advance!

Lc2 anytime I have a choice. Just my opinion.

The LC2/MTXL are easy plug-and-play widebands that work well if you install them correctly. Some of these Bosch sensors that come with the kit burn out quickly but most people have good results.

The Innovate is the most accurate sensor system, but it will give you the most headaches as far as being picky on how far it will allow things to be off before it throws a code, the new Aem X series wideband is much better than the old Aem system and will give less headaches but you might be giving up a little accuracy in the trade, not enough to be dangerous or do damage but still maybe .1 or so off.

Plx is the most compatible and easiest to use with dsmlink.

I use the autometer cobalt wideband and love it. I am not doing extreme tuning like some as mine is designed as a daily too with minor to medium upgrades. I love mine and have no issues with dsmlink as well. I think its mainly personal preference unless you plan on being REALLY deep in tuning.

Arguing over wideband accuracy is retarded. Anyone who claims "0.1 lambda accuracy" is a liar. They all calibrate them with cold test gas which has nothing to do with the properties of real exhaust gas. I'm not 100% as it's been a while, but I think bosch claims the sensors don't even have that good of repeatability. Pick one that you seem to get along with and run it. I use a autometer one, and most TOONERZ would say it's no good, but yet here I am going fast with it. And I ain't burnt a motor down yet. My new ecu has a bosch CJ125 chip in it with code I wrote to actually control the sensor. Do that and you really learn a lot about whats what in the sensors.

From my experience, I wouldn't run a innovate if someone gave it to me. Stupid ass error code with a new sensor even. Swapped out forth autometer and it's been great for 7+ years.

If I had to pick a new one it would probably be the new AEM one. Almost Engine Management is hit or miss. I think the newer aem is a hit. Aem buys most of their technology, and they usually buy it from someone who is on the ball. While everyone else is using the datasheet design cj125, AEM's is a clean slate design, and not using a CJ125. Supposedly the CJ is slow to respond to a step function, and the AEM is much quicker. Also suposedly the LC2 is just a piss poor rehash of the lc1.

Had my mtx-l for around 6-7 years now, original sensor, and it's always seemed to work well. Logs clean and as accurate as I can account for, compared to a tailpipe unit used at the college (also innovate) back a couple years ago.
Heard good things about the new aem and plx, but never tried both.

I burned through 3 sensors on my mtx-l before realizing that it was my own stupid fault. A firmware update had already been released for the gauge to fix a sensor heater malfunction that would kill the sensors. Ever since running that update I haven't had any issues. I'm a big fan of the MTX series as they run dual purpose gauges (also have the oil pressure/oil temp gauge).

mtx-l with same 4.2 sensor for somewhere between 4 and 6 years.
calibrated once maybe twice a season.
solid as a rock but my ground probably could be better..

I assume that means you are going to explain why he is wrong?
Life isn't always about being right or wrong. Being able to contribute to a discussion without constantly calling people retards, cheap asses, liars, toonerz etc is what productive adults do.

Life isn't always about being right or wrong. Being able to contribute to a discussion without constantly calling people retards, cheap asses, liars, toonerz etc is what productive adults do.

Did he hurt your feelings? Maybe you are taking things too personally. He brings up a really good point...

There's a lot of truth to this. There's a difference between knowing the information, and being able to articulate it in a way that's actually received.

Delivery matters, IMO. At least, it matters here, which is one of the distinguishing differences between this place and shitpost havens like Facebook.

@JeffwithaG if you're planning to run ECMlink, they reccomend running Innovate WBO2 sensors for compatibility:
http://www.ecmtuning.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=60

http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/lc1install

I've run LC1 sensors for years, and they have worked great on my personal cars. They seem to be reliable, but I've had to replace a sensor after the controller threw a code (like others mentioned). A new sensor corrected the issue. I haven't experienced excessive failing, but that's just my experience.

I've tuned a few cars using ECMlink on AEM sensors and it was an ass pain to get the voltages synced up between the sensor and the ECMlink software. It wasn't terribly difficult, but it was definitely not as plug and play like the Innovate sensors I've tuned on. For that reason, I'd recommend the Innovate sensor if you're new to tuning and ECMlink.

My experience is just like Brett's. I have 2 cars running Innovate products and haven't went thru sensors but my AEM is a different thing and its particular. The Innovate products were just like was mentioned, plug in, free air calibrate and log. Ease of use and reliability are why I choose what I am running and the AEM came with the 90 GSX or it would (and still might get) another Innovate unit. Just from experience here too.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back