The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Valve Cover Keeps Leaking And White Smoke comes out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredRider

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2019
Clewiston, Florida
So my previous post have been me just trying to find out why my valve cover keeps leaking. I have a Hyundai Rocker Valve Cover. It didn’t leak for the first 3 days and now recently started to leak again.

It is also throwing white smoke out of the exhaust and I used a scanner and it told me it needed a new MAP SENSOR which I ordered from Autzone. Since I work their.

I just please need help I don’t want to sell it because this car means a lot to me. But I also know when to stop beating a dead horse. Please any help will be Thankful!

Is it possible that you have excessive crank case pressure? Perhaps from blow-by, which would explain the smoke from exhaust. I'd probably run a compression test. Also how old is your PCV valve and what brand is it? Do you have any catch cans or specialty breathers?

Is it possible that you have excessive crank case pressure? Perhaps from blow-by, which would explain the smoke from exhaust. I'd probably run a compression test. Also how old is your PCV valve and what brand is it? Do you have any catch cans or specialty breathers?
I got a duralast brand and it’s only 3 months olds. I don’t believe I have any catch cans or specialty breathers.

I just please need help I don’t want to sell it because this car means a lot to me
No no don't sell it! You can solve it.

I used a scanner and it told me it needed a new MAP SENSOR which I ordered from Autzone.
Are you referring to the MDP sensor? There is no MAP sensor from factory.

How much oil is leaking and from where? And how much white smoke is it throwing? Give us more details please. Some pics and videos would help a lot. Maybe the oil leak and the smoke is related but maybe you have 2 different issues or multiple issues.

No no don't sell it! You can solve it.

Are you referring to the MDP sensor? There is no MAP sensor from factory.

How much oil is leaking and from where? And how much white smoke is it throwing? Give us more details please. Some pics and videos would help a lot. Maybe the oil leak and the smoke is related but maybe you have 2 different issues or multiple issues.
I recorded a video and for the smoke I need to accelerate pretty fast for a smoke cloud to come out of it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Get a felpro or oe valve cover gasket with the half moon. They sell an aluminum half moon as well and it needs rtv. That should fix your oil leak. Be careful not to over tighten the valve cover. Valve covers will crack if it’s overtightened but idk if that applies to Hyundai VC’s.

VC bolts looks to be changed at some point. I’d pick up a new set if that’s true. Those threads in the head strip very easily.

Get a felpro or oe valve cover gasket with the half moon. They sell an aluminum half moon as well and it needs rtv. That should fix your oil leak. Be careful not to over tighten the valve cover. Valve covers will crack if it’s overtightened but idk if that applies to Hyundai VC’s.

VC bolts looks to be changed at some point. I’d pick up a new set if that’s true. Those threads in the head strip very easily.
What bolt sizes would you recommend?

I recorded a video and for the smoke I need to accelerate pretty fast for a smoke cloud to come out of it.
Get a video of the smoke issue if you can, please. At idle, does the exhaust have a sickly sweet smell to it? Does the smoke happen all the time or only when it's cold (either cold car or cold outside temp)? How much smoke are you talking about? If it's just a little then it could just be condensation inside the exhaust and not a problem. If your car is modeling James Bond's Aston Martin then you most likely have a bad head gasket.

Hyundai Rocker Valve Covers need Hyundai mounting hardware and I bet you can guess where to get those.

None of the Duralast PCV that I've tested over the years would seal 14 psi in the reverse direction like required for turbo cars. 99% of the car that use this valve are NA and don't have a requirement to keep pressure in the manifold from entering the rocker cover, so these parts don't.

Hyundai Rocker Valve Covers need Hyundai mounting hardware and I bet you can guess where to get those.

None of the Duralast PCV that I've tested over the years would seal 14 psi in the reverse direction like required for turbo cars. 99% of the car that use this valve are NA and don't have a requirement to keep pressure in the manifold from entering the rocker cover, so these parts don't.
You actually don’t need the Hyundai hardware but you DO need the correct valve cover gasket for that particular valve cover. The stock regular Dsm gasket will not work and it will leak. Found this out years ago. I ran hardware store bolts, which are slightly longer, and the correct Hyundai gasket with zero leaks.

are you sure the MDP sensor is bad, it could just be the hole in the manifold is clogged.

Oh my bad. Didn’t know they used different hardware. @FredRider did you buy those bolts?
Here is a comparison between stock size Dsm and OEM Hyundai. The SS bolts are the same length as the OEM Dsm. I do not have the grommets though. Here is a thread on the part numbers and shows the grommets:

I even commented when I was learning about doing the swap years ago. I was too cheap at the time and just bought longer bolts. As I stated above longer bolts worked just fine and I only needed the correct Hyundai valve cover gasket. Honestly the OEM Hyundai bolts are a way better option because you can’t possibly crack the valve cover due to the style of the bolt.

As a side note, the cars that were designed in the 90s like early Evos, RVR, etc actually have longer bolts with tappet washers (grommets) for valve cover. So, less possibility to have leak and less possibility to damage bolt hole threads on cylinder head by overtightening. Somehow 2G DSM didn't come with tappet washers and longer bolts on valve cover.

You actually don’t need the Hyundai hardware but you DO need the correct valve cover gasket for that particular valve cover. The stock regular Dsm gasket will not work and it will leak. Found this out years ago. I ran hardware store bolts, which are slightly longer, and the correct Hyundai gasket with zero leaks.
Would you happen to know the correct part number for the gasket? And bolt lengths?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back