The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G White smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rgst99

Probationary Member
Oct 28, 2021
Twin Falls, Idaho
Ever since it bought my 2g gst 1 years ago it would throw out white smoke after a few minutes idling, I checked for shaft play on the turbo and there was none, last month I threw in a 16g turbo for more boost, while replacing head gasket, timing belt, water pump, all maintenance I was suggested to do on this group and research, so my question is the following. The car is still throwing out white smoke, any ideas?

Is it smoking while you drive, or is it only blowing white smoke on startup? Do you live in a cold area?
From my experience, my car does this as well when I start it and its below 32F outside, but the smoke doesnt last too long and goes away once the engine reaches a higher temperature (about halfway to operating temp). I also re-built the engine with new headgasket, 14b, and forged internals.

I live in Idaho so we do have single digit tempatures, in the summer when I had the stock turbo it would smoke on idle, after getting to operating temp, but not while driving, only on stand still idle. Since I put the 16g on, I haven't ran it very much but it seems to be smoking also on stand still idle before getting to operating temp, but not while driving.

When you were running it in the summer had you replaced the headgasket? Did the car seem to be running lean maybe?
Also, fill out a vehicle profile so others can maybe help out. I know you said 2g-gst but it still helps.

I hadn't, I just did that last month.... I'm new to dsms or turbo cars in general, how do you know when a car is running too lean or rich? Ok I’ll do that too thanks

Its fairly hard to do without a AFR (air fuel ratio) gauge, but since you just put on a 16g I'd assume you did nothing with the fuel system, or tune it, etc.

Putting on a bigger turbo causes an issues known as "Fuel Cut". The stock ECU isnt used to seeing the amount of airflow in the engine with the bigger turbo, so it cuts fuel to the engine at around 5-6k rpm's to prevent damage. Best way to fix that is to get a black box ecu or a Eprom, with a bigger fuel pump (and bigger injectors if you wanted to). Both of those ECU's are tunable (eprom is better than black box) and you can program the ECU to fix fuel cut, and generally that can fix the smoke issue as well. Plus you can adjust your fuel ratios.

I'm new to cars as well, and I certainly dont have as much experience as some of the other guys on here, but this is from my experience. My car is experiencing fuel cut right now and I'm only running a 14b.

To be honest, there is a chance I'm wrong as well. It can be a lot of different issues that I haven't even experienced yet. If I were you, take a second to look through the different "White Smoke" articles that are recommended to you under my response and see if those help.

White smoke is always burning coolant in one of the cylinders. So you've got a leak either in the head gasket or a turbo coolant seal/housing crack. Doing a coolant pressure test will help identify where it is.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back