The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Project Nicole, 2gb AWD Talon Spyder

Doubleot

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2009
Spanish Fork, Utah
Got a little work done this weekend! Drove the spyder over to my friend's house where he has this insane garage :sneaky:
IMG_20220325_171827.jpg

He has an in ground lift but his roomate's rx7 is on it currently getting some work done. So we got his quick jacks out! These things are so nice and convenient I ordered some for my house haha

IMG_20220326_004853.jpg

As you can see the purpose of this trip was getting my semi built head swapped in and fixing a few leaks I've been having, Luckily the leaks were simply coming from the valve cover gasket so it was an easy fix. We also ported my OFH while everything was torn apart. My buddy has a mill and did it really nice and smooth worked like a charm but unfortunately didn't take any pictures :(
IMG_20220325_202005.jpg

This was a progress picture before pulling the head off, I just realized how few pictures I actually did take, Oh well.

We had a busy effing weekend, we have the new head on, torqued down all the intake and exhaust manifolds installed and torqued. Coolant system and fuel system plugged in and installed. All that's left is to install the timing belt, time everything and put the pulleys and accessory belts back on and see how she fires up :) My other buddy is going to come help me tune it once it's running so we can get a decent base map after the changes and new cams.

That's all for now stay tuned!

Doubleot

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2009
Spanish Fork, Utah
So I got the car all back together and am having an issue,

First the ignition switch went bad, Fixed that

The battery took a dump, Got a new one

Cam angle sensor light came on, Got a new one

Started right up and sounded good and healthy, Now we can't get it started again. Plugs are soaked with fuel, no check engine light, everything is correctly plugged in.

Checked
coil pack - good
Injectors - good
Cam sensor - good
Timing - good
fuel pump - Good
fuel pressure - good

Only other thing I can think of is a crank position sensor and that's what my next step is once I get home. Does anyone have any ideas?

greddy_1700

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2006
Regina, SK_Canada
Might be a stupid suggestion, but happened to me and caused months of head scratching. Had a tear in my FPR diaphragm that made the car very hard to start and when it did it ran very rich. Worth checking the vac line to the FPR to make sure there isnt fuel in there getting sucked into the engine.

Doubleot

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2009
Spanish Fork, Utah
Guys!! Got it all figured out, long story short, I installed the metal cam sensor inside the housing 180 out haha, Installed it the correct way and bam right on the money, Fires up like a champ!

Here she is back at home on my new set of quick jacks (Highly, Highly recommend) Next to my wife's Lexus IS350 Fsport AWD (It's stupid nice)
IMG20220421144521.jpg

IMG20220421144525.jpg

Short video of it idling, we adjusted a few things and burped the coolant it idles great, Still need to fine tune some stuff but it drives nice and everything is good ;)

https://youtube.com/shorts/_6LaPj72XMo?feature=share

So happy it was something simple, I'll be trying to drive it as much as possible the next month or so then get it ready to do a serious tune and turn the boost up a little bit more!

Thanks everyone stay tuned!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds