The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Project Nicole, 2gb AWD Talon Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got a little work done this weekend! Drove the spyder over to my friend's house where he has this insane garage :sneaky:
IMG_20220325_171827.jpg

He has an in ground lift but his roomate's rx7 is on it currently getting some work done. So we got his quick jacks out! These things are so nice and convenient I ordered some for my house haha

IMG_20220326_004853.jpg

As you can see the purpose of this trip was getting my semi built head swapped in and fixing a few leaks I've been having, Luckily the leaks were simply coming from the valve cover gasket so it was an easy fix. We also ported my OFH while everything was torn apart. My buddy has a mill and did it really nice and smooth worked like a charm but unfortunately didn't take any pictures :(
IMG_20220325_202005.jpg

This was a progress picture before pulling the head off, I just realized how few pictures I actually did take, Oh well.

We had a busy effing weekend, we have the new head on, torqued down all the intake and exhaust manifolds installed and torqued. Coolant system and fuel system plugged in and installed. All that's left is to install the timing belt, time everything and put the pulleys and accessory belts back on and see how she fires up :) My other buddy is going to come help me tune it once it's running so we can get a decent base map after the changes and new cams.

That's all for now stay tuned!

So I got the car all back together and am having an issue,

First the ignition switch went bad, Fixed that

The battery took a dump, Got a new one

Cam angle sensor light came on, Got a new one

Started right up and sounded good and healthy, Now we can't get it started again. Plugs are soaked with fuel, no check engine light, everything is correctly plugged in.

Checked
coil pack - good
Injectors - good
Cam sensor - good
Timing - good
fuel pump - Good
fuel pressure - good

Only other thing I can think of is a crank position sensor and that's what my next step is once I get home. Does anyone have any ideas?

Might be a stupid suggestion, but happened to me and caused months of head scratching. Had a tear in my FPR diaphragm that made the car very hard to start and when it did it ran very rich. Worth checking the vac line to the FPR to make sure there isnt fuel in there getting sucked into the engine.

Guys!! Got it all figured out, long story short, I installed the metal cam sensor inside the housing 180 out haha, Installed it the correct way and bam right on the money, Fires up like a champ!

Here she is back at home on my new set of quick jacks (Highly, Highly recommend) Next to my wife's Lexus IS350 Fsport AWD (It's stupid nice)
IMG20220421144521.jpg

IMG20220421144525.jpg

Short video of it idling, we adjusted a few things and burped the coolant it idles great, Still need to fine tune some stuff but it drives nice and everything is good ;)

https://youtube.com/shorts/_6LaPj72XMo?feature=share

So happy it was something simple, I'll be trying to drive it as much as possible the next month or so then get it ready to do a serious tune and turn the boost up a little bit more!

Thanks everyone stay tuned!

Seriously can't believe it's been over a year since an update

First of all I've been driving the ol gal as much as possible, She just got street tuned a few weeks we also moved to EBC through ecmlink and it is glorious.
She liked 20psi on 91 pump gas. It feels solid I'm seriously falling back in love with this car all over again.

More recently I scored a Carbon Fiber Parade Bar from Sergio at Carbonetics
IMG20230525173957.jpg

I really think it made the car POP! I'm so happy with it and it adds so much character :)

Just recently this past Sunday I went to the first Mitsubishi Owners Day in Salt Lake City Utah and it was amazing!
20230604_120752.jpg

20230604_120704.jpg
20230604_102348.jpg

20230604_102356.jpg

Parked here with a couple of my friends, we've all been in the DSM game for over 15 years which really makes me feel old LOL

Other than that I plan to do a few more upgrades and drive the ol gal as much as I can this summer/fall. I'm happy with how she runs no immediate plans to upgrade turbo or change any of that setup currently really want to get some miles on this car and just have a good time.

Next up I feel a new stereo is on the agenda just to give it a more updated feel
possibly a new carpet kit but I'm skeptical on fitment
need to clean up a few more things but honestly just wanna enjoy this ol gal :)

Came here from your Reddit post. Great thread! How do you like your Quickjack? I'd really love to get one of those for the garage.

Came here from your Reddit post. Great thread! How do you like your Quickjack? I'd really love to get one of those for the garage.
Hey man! They are really nice to have and use, A little heavy as each rack weighs about 75 lbs but for the convenience they provide I do recommend them. I got them from costco.com on sale highly recommend them free freight shipping to your driveway and in my case, the truck driver was nice and pulled them straight into my garage.

This build has been on my list to read through for a while now. Found time the last week here and there to read from front to back. Awesome stuff bro! If you weren’t the biggest convertible fan like me, this will change your mind! Absolutely love the build its looks amazing! So glad you didn’t sell it or part it out back in 2015. The IS is pretty sick too.

This build has been on my list to read through for a while now. Found time the last week here and there to read from front to back. Awesome stuff bro! If you weren’t the biggest convertible fan like me, this will change your mind! Absolutely love the build its looks amazing! So glad you didn’t sell it or part it out back in 2015. The IS is pretty sick too.
Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm also very happy I didn't get rid of her back then, I was 90% done and my wife pulled me back and I'm so glad she did. Once again thank you for the kind words, really means a lot. 🙏

I was supposed to go to bed an hour ago and read the entire thing LOL. What a journey! Car looks like a blast. It’s my dream to build my AWD Spyder as an OEM+. So yours resonates a lot with me. You ever thought about a 3kgt rear end? How are the Tein coilovers? Considering Feals since I want to do road racing. Is the Carbonetics bar actually structural for roll over or just cosmetic? Top closes even with it on?

I was supposed to go to bed an hour ago and read the entire thing LOL. What a journey! Car looks like a blast. It’s my dream to build my AWD Spyder as an OEM+. So yours resonates a lot with me. You ever thought about a 3kgt rear end? How are the Tein coilovers? Considering Feals since I want to do road racing. Is the Carbonetics bar actually structural for roll over or just cosmetic? Top closes even with it on?
I have considered that 3kgt rear but honestly for my power goals I'm not sure I'll ever need it. I've considered one of Volks tubular rear subframes many times also so If I ever actually pull that trigger might as well get the 3kgt rear end right? :)

Teins are great, I don't DD this car at all and haven't ever had issues with the setup. I got them for so cheap from the local classifieds I'm not sure I could ever beat the offer. They do ride stiff but most coilovers do. I don't have any specific type of racing set in mind for this car mainly just a fun car I can enjoy and drive whenever I feel like it.

The light/parade car from Carbonetics is cosmetic just looks cool and I've always wanted one since I first saw the OEM one years and years ago. Top closes with it no issues at all. Just need to be careful when Installing and measure 100x times before drilling the holes. It has probably an inch on each side with the top closed but it doesn't move so it will never get snagged or touched by the top.

TIny update
Went to a buddies shop to hang out this past Sunday and drove the Spyder for what seems the first time in a while
20231217_112905.jpg

She drove great and It was reassuring that the old gal still puts a huge grin on my face :D

Also have a delivery coming this week 👀

Screenshot_20231219_064607_FedEx.jpg

Stay tuned! update soon!

Small updates!
Turbo came in!! Went with the Forced Performance FP Green ball bearing L.O.P.E and manifold 🤘
20231222_135920.jpg

Car came apart very smoothly also highly recommend these Quick jacks 🤘
20231227_163700.jpg

IMG_20231227_184700.jpg

Here's a rough mockup with the new FP Green L.O.P.E Ball bearing compared to my Evo 3 16G
20231227_194627.jpg

Also got these EDM mirrors as a gift from the wife for my birthday!
received_330682766394042.jpeg

Had my friend paint match em and I took this comparison between USDM and EDM

20240105_141511.jpg

20240105_141930.jpg
20240105_141940.jpg

Absolutely love them! So much sleeker than the US OEM mirrors.

That's it for now kids 🙌🤘

Stay tuned!

Had some time yesterday to get some work done! The turbo is all mounted plumed and has the downpipe hooked up. Just waiting for a few fittings for the boost controller to adapt the larger fittings on the new turbo and wastegaste and I'll be able to drop the radiator in.

IMG_20240106_154302.jpg

Only picture I took unfortunately 😞 waiting on a few parts from the powder coater also 😬

Stay tuned 😁🤘

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back