The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Plug N Play Cyclone Intake 4g63?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Visionbbx

Probationary Member
Apr 13, 2024
Tiffin, OH, Ohio
Hey y’all,
So my 4g63 in my 98 gst decided to spin a rod bearing after I picked it up and I’ve been looking into a new engine. I’ve been able to find 4g63’s with the cyclone intake and was wondering if it was plug n play’ or if I could possibly get that and swap over my intake I have on my old engine? If you have any other recommendations please let me know 🙏

Not plug n-play for the Cyclone intake. You need to control the valve in the intake runners with a solenoid based on some criteria - RPM, Boost etc. ECM Link has the flexibility to do custom FP, and EGR solenoid overrides.

Cyclone came on 6-Bolt 4G63's which have 1G heads, so if you are not already familiar with putting a 1G into a 2G, you should look into the details on that.

The runners on your 2G intake manifold won't match up to a 1G head. It would not be good to put a 2G intake on a 1G head.

Depending on how your engine died, you can take a 6-Bolt short block and modify the 2G head stud holes to take 12mm head studs instead of 11mm. This would allow you to keep the top end all 2G, and use a 1G-6Bolt bottom end. There are other things you have to do to make a 6-Bolt block work in a 2G, which is more research for you.

Justin

Could always just tie the butterfly arm open until you can actuate it properly, and it will basically be a 1g intake. But you need to do it properly for it to have any effect and the 2g ecu is incapable in stock form

Also, as mentioned, it's a 1g bolt and port matchup, not 2g. You need a 1g head.

Could always just tie the butterfly arm open until you can actuate it properly, and it will basically be a 1g intake. But you need to do it properly for it to have any effect and the 2g ecu is incapable in stock form

Also, as mentioned, it's a 1g bolt and port matchup, not 2g. You need a 1g head.
If you have the stock actuator, Open is the default position. It takes vacuum to close the valve. If you don't have the required contol mechanism, you could use it wide open all the time with no effort.

Justin

If you have the stock actuator, Open is the default position. It takes vacuum to close the valve. If you don't have the required contol mechanism, you could use it wide open all the time with no effort.

Justin
Right right
Clearly wasn't thinking straight, and I have one sitting on the shelf just a few steps to my right LOL

It depends how badly OP spun the rod bearing but if I were him, I would probably try to rebuild it with the money for buying the used 6 bolt engine unless the used engine is a good deal.
7 bolt rods are much much lighter than 6 bolt rods. That would make a huge difference in engine response. If he is not planning to make high power with the stock internal parts and just want a fun to drive street car, I would go with the benefits from the rod weight difference rather than going with the cyclone manifold by modifying the actuator with hassle. That would be more noticeable. And then if he would want to upgrade the intake manifold, I would go with the early EVO intake manifold.

It depends how badly OP spun the rod bearing but if I were him, I would probably try to rebuild it with the money for buying the used 6 bolt engine unless the used engine is a good deal.
7 bolt rods are much much lighter than 6 bolt rods. That would make a huge difference in engine response. If he is not planning to make high power with the stock internal parts and just want a fun to drive street car, I would go with the benefits from the rod weight difference rather than going with the cyclone manifold by modifying the actuator with hassle. That would be more noticeable. And then if he would want to upgrade the intake manifold, I would go with the early EVO intake manifold.

I'm a massive Cyclone fanboi and I agree with this 100%. Just use the money to get your current engine rebuilt, and stick with the 7 bolt stuff until you find its limits, or get more money and want something more durable/extreme. I'd one day like to experiment and play with an Evo 3 IM and 2G head myself.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back