The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

MAJOR PRICE INCREASE - Headers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
So I recently was searching Ebay for cheap 420a mods. I met guy who is running a 95 eclipse in the 24 hours of lemons race and I've been sending him links for dirt cheap parts since he's on a budget.

The first thing I thought of was a set of headers that I saw for $48 a while back. When I searched for them, the SAME set of heaeders was over $200! So I kept scrolling down to see similar headers for $700 and $1000. The DC Sports headers used to be the one of the most expensive sets of headers for the 420a. Seem like they're quickly approaching being the cheapest!

I'm glad I already have headers, and I feel bad for any new 420a builders.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-RACI...-/162545363553?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

^I paid $160 for that exact product!

Sometimes a vendor will increase the price DRAMATICALLY when they are temporarily out of stock to keep people from ordering and then they don't have to repost the ad, just lower the price back down to something normal. I have seen that on a few things that went from 98.00 to 1000.00 just because they didn't want to delete the ad, knowing they would get more stock in soon (and if anyone was silly enough to BUY at that price, they probably took it and sent them the first item when it came back in, hard to tell).
I hope that is what is going on and not a massive increase in an item that isn't in that much demand.
If you see the prices go back to normal, let us all know. :thumb:

Get on Alibaba, message the supplier. And ask to buy a sample ;)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

$160 isn't that much, i paid $425 for greddy header back in 2003

I wouldn't bother putting a "performance manifold" on a 420A in the 1st place as the gains are very very minimal, but to each their own.. :idontknow:
You're probably right on the minimal HP gains, but it probably makes the car a little more fun to drive, assuming it doesn't crack shortly after being installed. If I had a 420A, I'd probably consider it, just for the hell of it. A lot of DSMers put cheap coilovers on these cars, which in many cases, doesn't actually improve the handling all that much - certainly not much more than some lowering springs and performance shocks. Some of those kits probably even hinder performance. But it allows them to lower the ride height and that makes them happy. So they spend the extra cash. We're car nuts, we don't always do things that make sense to everyone. :)

For just 2 easy payments of 23k, you can have this. ROFL
Very good example of what may be going on with the header deal @dustyboner
Let us know whats goin if the prices change later @BLACK'98DSM 98.

My cast iron t3 is a generic one. I just ditched thw gasket and studs and bolts and bought ARP studs/bolts grabbed an oem gasket to motor and a MAP mani to turbo gasket i invested about 300$ i run my EGT on it and got a lava manifold blanket. Got the blanket for 150$

I am putting studs in a new, different build and feel safe and confident because of my decision.:thumb: (not this platform, see my other stuff). But thats off topic. Lets stay on track.

I wouldn't bother putting a "performance manifold" on a 420A in the 1st place as the gains are very very minimal, but to each their own.. :idontknow:

I understand :hellyeah:you are speaking :applause: of a different motor :mrt: 420A, but in the case :hmm: of the infamous 4G63T :ninja: cracked :beatentodeath: manifold problem, this is a good reason for someone to offer to the prospective buyer a proven :pray: header design that works, lasts :thumb:, and doesn't require me to remortgage :banghead: my home to replace/fix the problem :argue: child, the :dsm: Engineers:heystupid: created.

https://www.facebook.com/MCC-Automotive-Program-106718691296275/
[URL='https://www.facebook.com/MCC-Automotive-Program-106718691296275/'](7) MCC Automotive Program | Facebook
[/URL]

Check out the "Gastrologist video" for the results OMG of fine :confused: engineering by a clueless :ohdamn: 1G designer.
DSM must have figured :aha: this out by the
time the 2G arrived I Ass-u-me?

(Do I win the Prize for most emojis used?)

The gains are actually pretty good when you pair a name brand header and downpipe with good cams.

I understand :hellyeah:you are speaking :applause: of a different motor :mrt: 420A, but in the case :hmm: of the infamous 4G63T :ninja: cracked :beatentodeath: manifold problem, this is a good reason for someone to offer to the prospective buyer a proven :pray: header design that works, lasts :thumb:, and doesn't require me to remortgage :banghead: my home to replace/fix the problem :argue: child, the :dsm: Engineers:heystupid: created.

https://www.facebook.com/MCC-Automotive-Program-106718691296275/
(7) MCC Automotive Program | Facebook

Check out the "Gastrologist video" for the results OMG of fine :confused: engineering by a clueless :ohdamn: 1G designer.
DSM must have figured :aha: this out by the
time the 2G arrived I Ass-u-me?

(Do I win the Prize for most emojis used?)

That is a gratuitous amount of emojis man. LOL:hellyeah:

As for the price increase, I would be curious to know if @1990TSIAWDTALON is correct, and its simply a supply issue. If that is the case, hopefully they will restock and the price will drop back down, and it isn't just another market casualty on a seemingly long and growing list of discontinued parts.

It gets a little heartbreaking searching for things and constantly seeing "out of stock" and "part discontinued" notes. I always tend to buy things I know I will need as I find them, and can afford them, because I never know what is coming back around again verses what will be gone for good once the inventory is depleted. :idontknow:

BLACK'98DSM, you hit the nail on the head,
"when you pair a name brand header and downpipe with good cams."

Gains are greater with the whole package and not just one piece.
Granted, I have seen slight power improvements w/ just a header, But the Formula to create greater power also Normally includes Camshafts, fuel & induction changes.

In a lot of cases, just increasing exhaust flow only, by reducing backpressure only creates an engine with less bottom end and torque.
Like drag pipes on a motorcycle = WOT increase only if that at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back