The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Junkyard Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoutlaw82

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2009
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm trying to compile a list of junkyard mods for the 1G and 2G in order to make a tech article. Basically any parts that you can swap from other cars to this one that are an upgrade. If you guys know anything please share. So far I have.

1G Upgrades
1. 93-94 AWD Front Brakes (1G FWD and 90-92 AWD)
2. 2G Throttle body elbow.
3. 2G Exhaust manifold.
4. 2G O2 Housing
5. 1G 5spd ECU, Fuel injectors ,Fuel Pressure Regulator(if you have an auto) ( must be done together.)
6. 1G 5spd 14B turbo (if you have an auto)
7. 2G Mass Airflow Sensor
8. 92 and up 4 bolt rearend swap (for 90 to early 92 awds)
9. 92-94 M/T D intake cam and C exhaust cam.
10. 1990 Oil filter adapter with external oil cooler.
11. 1G 1.8L EGR block off plate
12. 1G Manual Steering Rack
13. 1G Base Model Doors (No power windows or locks reduces weight)

2G Upgrades
1. 6bolt swap
2. 1G Throttle body
3. 6bolt Connecting rods
4. 1G M/T 14B turbo
5. 1G BOV
6. 92-94 M/T D intake cam and C exhaust cam.
7. 3g rear upper and lower control arms
8. EVO oil filter housing for external oil cooler
9. 2005 Outlander brakes
10. 1G 1.8L EGR block off plate
11. 2G AWD Front Brakes ( 2G FWD)
12. 2G Base Model Doors (No power windows or locks reduces weight)

Last edited:
Although its not a direct swap and I've heard its difficult, 2g(awd that is) transmission in a 1g.

I forgot, the 1g(92-94) manual transmission cams stamped with the "c" and "d", are a tiny bit more aggressive then the 2g cams.

For a 2g even a 13g is an upgrade.

1g auto mods are 5speed ecu, fpr, manifold 1g/or 2g, injectors, and 14b.

manual fpr? auto have higher fuel pressure? a manual fpr will cause a auto car to run to lean with stock 390's

manual fpr? auto have higher fuel pressure? a manual fpr will cause a auto car to run to lean with stock 390's

Yes manual ecu,fpr, and 450's.Will not mess anything up.1g 450's flow around 410cc's with the lower fuel pressure.The auto's run 42 ish.That's why you have to swap all of those things or the car will run rich on the auto fpr, and retard timing during brake boosting.

For 2gs, they run 42 ish and same injectors and pressure.And 2g's flow 450 cc's.

I did forget to say 1g manual cams are a tad more aggressive:thumb: on adding that.

A 1g head isn't an upgrade for a 2g, a 2g head is an upgrade for a 1g because of the smaller intake ports.

:dsm:
I was gonna say that but because there has been alot of debate about it decided against it. Also, in that same arena, isn't just swapping, without any portwork, a 1g intake manifold onto a 2g not really an upgrade because the shape of the runners aren't the same as a 2g? This is a question, so please don't get angry if it is completely incorrect.

A 1g head isn't an upgrade for a 2g, a 2g head is an upgrade for a 1g because of the smaller intake ports.

Stock for stock and lower rpm power yes.

But you know as well as I do, this is very debatable.So yes it could be marked down as a stock upgrade for 1g's.

And you would have to open the intake ports to put the stock 1g IM back on.Why throw a complete 2g head with 2g IM and tb on a 1g?

Yes manual ecu,fpr, and 450's.Will not mess anything up.1g 450's flow around 410cc's with the lower fuel pressure.The auto's run 42 ish.That's why you have to swap all of those things or the car will run rich on the auto fpr, and retard timing during brake boosting.

Why would you want less fuel pressure? I would think the auto fpr would be the upgrade to the manual. More fuel pressure with out buying a 200 afpr.

So after some research I removed the 1g head swap on a 2g. Anybody know of any gear swaps or suspension mods?

2gs can't run a 90 OFH unless they've done a 6-bolt swap, they can run an Evo III OFH though.

The 2g IM is only an upgrade on a 1g if they also switch to a 2g head, too.

-I think you should add 2g AWD brakes for a 2g FWD.
-95 EPROM ECU
-99 ECU
-3G Eclipse brake booster and brake master cylinder

Why would you want less fuel pressure? I would think the auto fpr would be the upgrade to the manual. More fuel pressure with out buying a 200 afpr.

You don't, correct.But if the manual ecu is used to 450's running 38ish puel pressure.Why run 42+.You a tad rich with no tune.This is a stock upgrade no need for a safc or anything.

If anyone can figure out how rich you would be with the auto pfr, and how much damage you can do, please let me know.

So after some research I removed the 1g head swap on a 2g. Anybody know of any gear swaps or suspension mods?

2g's can use 3g rear upper and lower control arms.

2gs can't run a 90 OFH unless they've done a 6-bolt swap, they can run an Evo III OFH though.

The 2g IM is only an upgrade on a 1g if they also switch to a 2g head, too.

-I think you should add 2g AWD brakes for a 2g FWD.
-95 EPROM ECU
-99 ECU
-3G Eclipse brake booster and brake master cylinder

7 bolts can also use Evo 8/9 OFH.

1g AWD brakes can also be added for a 2g as long as you get RRE adapter brake lines (1g brakes use screw in lines instead of banjo lines).

2005 Outlander brakes are an upgrade for a 2g.

The calipers are the same (2 piston) as the GSX. The bracket is taller, allowing the use of 2005 Outlander 11.6" rotors.

Caliper Bracket P/N: MR307282

2g's can use 3g rear upper and lower control arms.

7 bolts can also use Evo 8/9 OFH.

1g AWD brakes can also be added for a 2g as long as you get RRE adapter brake lines (1g brakes use screw in lines instead of banjo lines).

Snowborder how is 3g's upper and lower control arms an upgrade? I am not familiar with this..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back