The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

How long was your DSM down for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98mitsubishigst

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Okay, 180k miles and i been rebuilding my eclipse since End of September.

October, Ripped it all apart.
November, Finished Engine Bay, Paint.
December, Ran out of Funds.

Its been 3 months and it feels like i havent been able to drive my baby foreverrrrrr ... :cry: I ride around in my buddys Gs everyday and everyone compliments him on how nice his car is, that use to be me!

How long has your cars been down for, and how the hell do you cope!?:(

Im going on 8 months now. I bought a chassis for drive train and motor about 5 months ago and got hosed on it. Turned out the chassis was wrecked pretty bad, they fixed the cosmetic damage but failed to mention the thrust line was off 14* degrees. My car is at the shop now getting the finishing touches on the motor and new chassis... WOOO..HOOO!!!

this is my first dsm, I bought it as a bday gift for to myself. I bought it in June08 and i started to strip it down a few months ago. Now im just waiting for deals to buy parts and im hoping it will be back onthe road for this years bday

Ha i guess since mine is my DD i cant afford to have it down, and i dont wait to buy stuff...so maybe thats the difference haha. Im very impatient, so i just do what i have to....i start working on it to fix something and dont stop till its done, Or until i need new parts haha.

bought my GSX, soooo excited! drove it for 1.5 weeks and then *kaboom* couldn't deal with it because of exams but it's been about 6 weeks now. tore the engine apart and due to lack of lubrication, threw a rod. so many things could have gone wrong though. i think when rebuilt, the rod bearings weren't lined up right.
BUT when i looked in the turbo, the compressor was torn up too. sooo, not to sure what is going on here. just pisses me off though... i miss the feeling of boost and sexy wheels :(

Car was down for almost 6 months last year for a 6 bolt swap and full engine build. Ran great for 3 weeks, 3rd time down the track injector #3 failed and melted a Wiseco piston. That was early November and the car will be down for another 3 or 4 months probably, but I'm doing major upgrades while it's down. I miss boost so much, it sucks hard LOL

Total time down: 2 years and 2 months, exactly, tomorrow. I'm still counting.

I Bought my GSX in November of 07' from someone who turned out to be a major douche bag. :toobad:

I drove the car, gingerly (It needed some work and I didn't deem it boost worthy just yet), 150 miles and stored it the same night. Ten months later, in August of 08', I took it out of storage to go for a nice soft drive over to the neighborhood performance shop (29 miles to be exact). On my way there...BAM!..the transmission started go. I babied the shit out of it to limp it the rest of there and left it parked at the shop so I could come back and pick it up.

At that moment, I decide to tear it down and really get a look at what kind of "fully built" work this guy had put into the car. As it turns out, that forged bottom end that he had advertised was completely stock and the reason the trans failed is because he forgot to install a $4.00 bearing race after replacing the 1st and 2nd gear sets. NICE! :banghead:

Since then, I've started aquiring all the parts I've wanted so I can come back, full force, with a quality built vehicle and say hell yeah, I BUILT IT and it was done correctly!

Just need some odds and ends...and some moderately warm temperatures so I can start working on her again.

It's gonna be badass...and I can't wait! :dsm:

Total time down: 2 years and 2 months, exactly, tomorrow. I'm still counting.

Just need some odds and ends...and some moderately warm temperatures so I can start working on her again.

It's gonna be badass...and I can't wait! :dsm:

theres nothing worse than trying to work in a non heated garage with a tiny space heater in -18 degree weather. makes me wanna give up on the car... but i kno i cant do that

Buddy of mine bought his 96 tsi, drove it for 3 months, and then completely took it apart, sanded it down, and took every dent out. It's still sitting in his garage, finally painted, and then last week someone scratched and dented it :( . It's been 3 years and counting.

Mine has been down for 4 months, due to a mysterious lock up issue. Only have to wait like 3 more to start fixing it again ;)

When I blew my motor it was in October. Spare motor was already nearly built, just needed to pull some stuff off the old one and order the last of the parts, so it was ready to go for the most part. Got it running about a month ago now but still working out all the kinks. The only garage is at my parents and I hate going there to work on the car.

As I got closer and closer to finishing up the car, I was actually have dreams about driving her again. I missed her so much and was having dreams about boosting and tuning. Made me miss her more and get out there and finish up the work.

June 14, 2007-June 14, 2008 My awd tsi was dead due to blown headgasket, 7-8 hour and 150$ dollars later I couldve walked away. That didnt seem to be the logical choice though so I decided to buy a 6 bolt, build a 1g rod 2g piston build. Anyways exactly 1 year from the day I blew my headgasket I start up my 1g/2g 6 bolt build and it spun a rod 75 miles later. Now im nearing closure on my latest build which is an hx40 build with eagle rod/ross piston and shep stage 4 tranny. Quite a jump from the last.

Bought it back in March 09 when i returned from baghdad from these scammers in TX(unknowingly to me at the time). Shipped it home and realized that there was more sh1t wrong with it than my X-wife:banghead:. Had to pull motor twice due to faulty machine work. Plus i f@cked up a piston ring when i assemble the motor. Now that i am getting the motor back next week and 8k later in parts:barf:, Im hoping to have my baby back in my garage NLT next friday screaming for a V8 to beat like it owes her money!!! HAHAH Good luck to all you DSMers out there. Sometimes it sucks to have a DSM but when they run right it really kiks @ss. :hellyeah:

theres nothing worse than trying to work in a non heated garage with a tiny space heater in -18 degree weather. makes me wanna give up on the car... but i kno i cant do that

Damn! Now that's cold. Haha. I've been doing some work on my daily driver and my girl's car in anywhere from 0-25 degree weather with just a kerosene space heater, so I know exactly how you feel.

Wrench. Warm your hands.Wrench some more. Warm your hands. Stand up. Get rid of the legs falling asleep feeling, rub your knees, and warm your toes back up so they're not numb. Wrench Again! Haha.

The guy I bought mine from had it sitting for a year... Took 6 months for me to get everything together the way i wanted it... ran it for the summer (only about 2k miles) about 50 passes at the track and now it's torn down to the shell for weight reduction and other modifications... got to love winter builds!

Since June 23rd 2009. I am hoping to have it back on the road by the end of this month.... however, it will probably just get tucked back in the garage until the end of April until all the salt is off the roads around here.....

Blown head gasket my own damn fault :ohdamn: ..... so it sounded like a good time to get after all the other things that have been bugging me since my first rebuild 3 years ago which put her down for 3 1/2 months. :dsm:

Put on a 60-1 in May of 08. Lifted the head a few days after. Moved from Cali to Colorado that June. Replaced the head gasket and added some more components for E85 in Nov of 08. Grenaded the 3rd gear and front diff later that month. Need a driveshaft and some welding work to get it running.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back