The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

For those of you afraid to use a holset

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am also on a bolt-on hx40! Oil feed from the OFH and a .062 restrictor. High 10's so far with a lot more room to go on a stock intake even! For a 400 dollar turbo off ebay, you can't go wrong with that. The holsets are extremely vocal and sound amazing!

Like someone said before, very innovative.
So tell us, what rpm does that turbo give you full boost on your 2.3L stroker, and what is full boost?
I didn't read it, but are you feeding the turbo from the head or OFH?

One more thing, does that HX40 fit without incident using the FP Race Manifold?

im seeing 25psi by 3400-3500rpm, thats with a stroker motor, internal wastegate and 2.5in exhaust. The fp manifold sets up the turbo the same as a stock manifold. I just had to dent the water pipe a lilttle bit

Kinda OT but....Were is everyone picking up hx 35's/40's. I am looking at running one and am having a hard time locating one. Looking for a T3 Hx40 with a v-band... any sources?

Does the HX-40 come with an "S" cover?
Bc my s362 has an S cover and I had to dent the crap out of my waterpipe and after 3k mi, it started to leak coolant.
I have a DNP man and was thinking about buying an FP. It seems like the flange is a bit thicket than Mitsu manies.

I have had 2 BRAND NEW Holset center sections fail. When they were removed, and inspected to find the cause, it was never oil related.

My specific car has oil squirters, no balance shafts. I have a oil feed from the oil filter housing, with a Forced Performance Journal Bearing restrictor/filter. There has never been an contaminates in my oil, I have a Prosport Electric warning oil pressure guage also. At operating temp, at WOT, I reach MAX 90psi in the entire engine. And again, these HX 40s did not fail because of oiling, but failed turbine wheels/shafts. First one went at 500 miles, 2nd at about 5000 miles. I'm on my third ;)

Great turbo when it works, but Holset does not even warrenty or even respond to emails. The authorized Holset distributor I get my HX40 centers from can't even help me!

My setup was running 29psi, btw.

Holset does not even warrenty or even respond to emails. The authorized Holset distributor I get my HX40 centers from can't even help me!
They'll tell you to go suck a log because:

- You're using the turbo to extract max horsepower which would be considered a "racing" application.

- Holset is not the factory turbo supplier for DSM's.

- You're using a turbine housing that was not designed or built by Holset. If the turbine itself fails, they'll blame the fact that the turbo was not using a Holset turbine housing; even if you can prove the housing has nothing to do with it they'll throw up the "improper installation" flag.

It's rough to get a manufacturer's warranty serviced when using their turbo(s) on one of our cars. These turbo manufacturers insist that their turbochargers are built perfect and if something fails it's your fault. Not always true, for sure...but normally as soon as they find out what you're doing with it, the warranty is void. This isn't unique to Holset...Garrett is the same way.

Most turbo shops will honor a warranty because, in most cases, they're the one building the turbo so their name is on the line if something fails. Holset or Garrett won't give a rat's ass if you break two of their turbos because they're selling MILLIONS of turbochargers to automakers and truck builders around the world.

There are some cases of broken turbines on HX40's which seem to be isolated to ONLY HX40's. I have a buddy consistently running 38+psi on his HX40 with no issues, and it was bought new and installed at the beginning of last year. I also have friends and numerous customers running big boost on HX35's without a single issue. The HX35's are literally bulletproof.

The bottom line is every manufacturer is going to have issues with their parts that they will not accept responsibility for. I had a customer with a PTE 6152S using a Garrett Stage 5 turbine that broke the turbine wheel off with 3 miles on the turbo. I repaired it using another brand new Stage 5 Garrett wheel, and it broke again at around 1500 miles. Couple this to the thrust bearing / washer issues that Garrett has, and it's pretty safe to say that I'd gamble my money with Holset over any journal bearing Garrett turbo.

Just don't fall for the trap of: "well these guys all ran it from here so it's ok". Casting differences and imperfections and head resurfacing all affect how much pressure reach the head oil port. . . NO MATTER WHAT, if you upgrade to a non mhi turbo, have your oil pressure gauge tapped into a point just before the oil goes into the chra so that you'll know what's going on. It's like upgrading your fuel and running your setup without a logger.

Im not 100% sure on this but talking about a stock head, dosent the OEM oil feed location have a limit the amount of oilflow at WOT to which a turbo can recieve oil pressure wise? I believe at WOT it was around 30psi? Unless feeding from the filter then, it would be a whole-nother story.

Correct me if im wrong?

Would you be interested in building a kit for me??? I don't have the time to build one.

i found a bolt on 12an oil dran flange for the holsets. heres the link. i know you will all love me now.
showimage.php

Google Image Result for http://www.racepartsolutions.com/prodimages/small/RPS-OilDrainFlange.jpg

Tons of Dodge trucks that people run in to the ground have Holsets with over 100k on them and doing fine. They are tough turbos! I bought an HX-40 for 325.00!

The 'shaft issues' were resolved long ago with the revised pro wheel which is the 7blade 60mm wheel. 58mm 8blade compressor wheels have no issue, 56mm 6 blade wheels have no issues, and 60 mm 7blade wheels have no issues with the shaft getting damaged. But SOME 6blade 60mm hx40s have failed over the years and they all seam to have come from only one factory, the one in India from what I found out.

Glad to see your HX40 is still going strong:thumb: !

The 'shaft issues' were resolved long ago with the revised pro wheel which is the 7blade 60mm wheel. 58mm 8blade compressor wheels have no issue, 56mm 6 blade wheels have no issues, and 60 mm 7blade wheels have no issues with the shaft getting damaged. But SOME 6blade 60mm hx40s have failed over the years and they all seam to have come from only one factory, the one in India from what I found out.

Glad to see your HX40 is still going strong:thumb: !
Never ceases to amaze me with the stuff you can find if you dig deep enough.

How in the world did you source that kind of information? :applause:

Which drain flange did you use on the oil pan side? What about the turbo side?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back