The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

For those of you afraid to use a holset

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red1993gsallmt

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2002
long branch, New_Jersey
I recently installed a holset hx40 on my car despite the problems people have had with them. I am very happy with this turbo so far and i drive my car everyday with no problems so far. The main reason i think people are blowing them is high oil pressure with to small of a drain. When i first put a oil pressure gauge on my car i was seeing upwards of 140psi at redline which i bet would kill any turbo. So i ported my housing and got the pressure down to 105ish, then cut two loops off the spring and that took it down to 75psi at redline and 18-20psi at idle. I also made my own drain using 3/4 copper with two 45* bends instead of one 90* bend. For oil feed i use a 4an line off a 1990 air cooled oil filter housing and instead of welding the feed fitting shut to drill it out to a restricted size of.078 or .082 i simply tapped the whole to fit a set screw in it and drilled the set screw out to .082. That way if i ever wanted to go smaller i could simply spin the set screw out of the fitting and drill a new one. I chose .082 because i was able to get my oil pressure down, lots of other guys are using .078 with good results. the turbo has 1800mi on it with no shaft play or smoke, and boost is at 25psi. I really want to thank jusmx for all the help and info, very smart guy and quick to help people out. I will keep everyone posted as the miles rack up, hope to get to the track next saturday, cant go this weekend with all the rain. Oh and if your thinking of lowering oil pressure because its to high, do it. I always noticed my car reved a little slow but i thought it was because of the stroker set up, as soon as i got the oil pressure down it revs WAY faster, well worth the effort. Sorry about the pics, not the greatist with a camera:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 001hhhn1.JPG
    Picture 001hhhn1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 4,770
  • nbbbb1.JPG
    nbbbb1.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 4,788
VERY good info here about the Holset oiling, and just controlling oil pressure in general to prolong the life of any turbo.

We discussed this as it was occurring through Private Messages- I'm glad to see the info made it to the forums!

I cant wait to install the my holset. I will be concerned with oil pressure problems but I will take the steps I need to make the turbo work. I hope more people come up with threads like this.
Great info! Now post up some pics! :)

Innovative oil feed! I like. I'm going to try the same thing with my hx40. . .

. . .Yes at the end of the day with your turbo, you need to just know what your feed pressure is. Installing an aftermarket part without knowing how the motor will treat it is just lazy :). Know your oil pressure, know your oil pressure, know your oil pressure at the turbo inlet.

That's plumber/handyman work right there! Hope it works for you, I don't see why it wouldn't!
how did you know, LOL, my fathers a licensed plumber and im going to school for my license. And the wastegate isjust until i get an external, I took the holset acuator that came with my hx40 and cut it to lenght then threaded it. I took a piece of flat stock steel and welded it to the o2 housing and flipped the wastegate arm on the exhaust housing up so it would work from the oppisite side. It works well but now i see why they dont make them with internal gates anymore, cant really get more then 25psi steady out of it before it blows open. I wish i knew that before i went through the truoble of taking the flapper out of my old bullseye 57trim housing:rolleyes:

I had a hx40 in the bolt on housing on my gvr4. It gave me 0 problems. I really love the linear response compared to the smaller turbos, all my 16g cars have had an on/off power delivery.

jusmx141 also set me up with my HX35 and have made countless passes down the track and around 5000 miles so far Turbo is still like brand new!!!!

How do you get. The turbo and bolt on housing?
Serious?WTF
At the top of the page click "search" then "search forums", then type "holset" and click "search now"
Also I heard "google" is a good search engine, too:rolleyes:

Very nice setup. I think i may have to figure a way to check my oil pressure too. But turbo and motor are just fine.
I plan on selling my HX35 bolt-on setup for a HX40.

Nice writeup. whats the best way to see what my oil pressure is? I just redid a motor without b-shafts and ported the OFH, but I'd still like to know what that pressure is going to be. I have an oil pressure gauge tapped into my OFH right now, can I just go off of that?

sure, just read it from where you are feeding from. And if your oil pressure is still to high after porting try grinding off a half loop of you oil pressure spring at a time, just make sure you grind it flat and keep the side of the spring that you didnt grind against the piston

sure, just read it from where you are feeding from. And if your oil pressure is still to high after porting try grinding off a half loop of you oil pressure spring at a time, just make sure you grind it flat and keep the side of the spring that you didnt grind against the piston

If your still too high, cant you just use a restrictor?

Serious?WTF
At the top of the page click "search" then "search forums", then type "holset" and click "search now"
Also I heard "google" is a good search engine, too:rolleyes:

It's actually a legit question. After all, NONE of the dsm shops I frequent sell Holset turbo's. The H1C I baught was a used unit from the classifieds. I've known about Holset turbo's for a while now and I still haven't found a place that sells them new.

I'm glad to hear your having good luck with your Holset red93. I've noticed that most people who run the Holsets that feed their oil from the head don't usually have oil pressure problems, nor do they need restrictors. Of course I'm only speaking for myself and the other guys who have told me the same. This especially seems to be the case with us who no longer have balance shafts.

Just don't fall for the trap of: "well these guys all ran it from here so it's ok". Casting differences and imperfections and head resurfacing all affect how much pressure reach the head oil port. . . NO MATTER WHAT, if you upgrade to a non mhi turbo, have your oil pressure gauge tapped into a point just before the oil goes into the chra so that you'll know what's going on. It's like upgrading your fuel and running your setup without a logger.

how did you know, LOL, my fathers a licensed plumber and im going to school for my license. And the wastegate isjust until i get an external, I took the holset acuator that came with my hx40 and cut it to lenght then threaded it. I took a piece of flat stock steel and welded it to the o2 housing and flipped the wastegate arm on the exhaust housing up so it would work from the oppisite side. It works well but now i see why they dont make them with internal gates anymore, cant really get more then 25psi steady out of it before it blows open. I wish i knew that before i went through the truoble of taking the flapper out of my old bullseye 57trim housing:rolleyes:

Don't mean to get off topic here again but I was just wondering if you had any pre-load on the wga? I have used a mhi, garret and currently a hahn wga and the best I get is 27 psi. I have my holset actuator sitting here and I'm wondering if it's worth bothering to put it on before I take the car down for the winter and go external...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back