The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

CTS-V brake caliper swap (Brembo)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was able to confirm that the camaro ss brembos are also a bolt on part. Not sure what the piston diameter of these is however. This maybe the same caliper as the cts-v.

The GXP caliper also has the 130mm bolt spacing, however they accept a 12mm mounting bolt instead of our 14mm. Theoretically they could be drilled and tapped for 14mm very easily considering they are made from aluminum. The GXP calipers i believe also have the larger pistons found on the sti,evo,g35.

Can anyone get these part numbers or specs?

what year camaro?

i know that 4th gen camaros are not 4pots LOL, my 98 Z28 has 2pot calipers. and 4th gen SS have the same brakes as Z28's
here is a 4th gen camaro SS front calipers
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

unless you mean 2010 camaro SS, now i dont know if those come with brembo's or not

if they do it would be hard to believe they are only $88 LOL

last years 2009 model camaro ss , i posted the part numbers earlier

They are super cheap because something happened were gm had to put weights on the calipers to keep the noise down.problem has since been corrected so I suspect they ordered a metric ton of these things to replace any brakes that would ever go bad on the cars that were already equipped with them. lucky us

hmm, must be a early production error or something? ### camaros did not come out until 2010, so i don't think there is any 2009, except concepts or something. or the ones that went to dealers early for those show days

but either way, i hope they work for us!!! LOL

You guys comparing piston size forget that with hydraulic brakes that the piston area is automatically considered the pad area-not piston area itself.

Well, that settles that.

And there is NO way that larger rotors dont have a better mechanical advantage for brake torque. I am sure this setup will be better than EVO brembos.

and as far as the stock dsm dpc setup being almost equal to the evo 8/9, just take a look at the stock 60-0 mph braking distance. my buddy has an evo with stock brembo's and that car stops way faster that my 2g tsi. the evo is also a bit heavier than a dsm

You guys comparing piston size forget that with hydraulic brakes that the piston area is automatically considered the pad area-not piston area itself.

Well, that settles that.

not sure what you mean here? piston area is piston area. pad area has nothing to do with clamping force. pad mu * clamp force * effective rotor diameter = brake torque. pad area plays no role whatsoever in that calculation.

hydraulic pressure acts on the pistons, not the pads. i'm guessing we're thinking the same thing, but wanted to be clear on it..

it would be pretty hard to believe that stock DSM 2pot calipers would be as good as CTS-V 4pot brembo calipers

equal piston area and available clamping force does not mean equal calipers. the stiffer caliper body and lower weight of the EVO makes them better. the fact that they're fixed 4pot and not the abomination that is the sliding caliper makes them superior, regardless of the clamping force they generate.

i would think that the area of 14" rotors would be much better at resisting brake fade right?

it's a deeper bucket to dump heat into, that's all. weight = thermal mass to dump heat into. a smaller diameter rotor that is thicker would accomplish the same thing.

you guys are lucky DSMs have so many direct bolt-on options. i just think it's a good idea to do the engineering homework before they ever get bolted onto a car is all.

that's actually why i still hang out here- far more interesting projects going on than on the MR2 boards.

I got the part numbers for the GXP and CTS-V 6-pots

cts-v brembo 6-pot
These should bolt on but I'm not sure if we can get rotors this large...

GXP
I do beleive these have the larger pistons either 38/42 or 40/46

I got the part numbers for the GXP and CTS-V 6-pots

cts-v brembo 6-pot
These should bolt on but I'm not sure if we can get rotors this large...

Try again, you've got complete knuckle/hub/rotor/caliper assm part numbers.

not sure what you mean here? piston area is piston area. pad area has nothing to do with clamping force. pad mu * clamp force * effective rotor diameter = brake torque. pad area plays no role whatsoever in that calculation.

hydraulic pressure acts on the pistons, not the pads. i'm guessing we're thinking the same thing, but wanted to be clear on it..

Actually, its rotor radius roughly at the pad center. Technically it should be the centroid of the pad /w respects to the center or rotation assuming the pad has even pressure at all points, but Pad center probably works :thumb:

As Polarmoment noted, it's the centerline of the caliper's pistons that determine the lever arm, the pad is completely irrelevant. The centre of the caliper's piston is the centre of pressure, regardless of where the friction material is located, and that's what the effective diameter is cased on. Pads are not always centered on the pistons, so to use that as the reference opens one up to considerable inaccuracy.

The reason behind increasing the number of pistons but retaining the same piston area is to increase the effective diameter without increasing the rotor OD - the centerline of the piston is moved closer to the rotor OD, so one gets bigger brakes without fitting bigger brakes.

Pad size and area are not relevant, all those dimensions control are the speed a pad heats up and cools down, and how quickly it wears - only the pad material's cf has any effect on braking, the size and area do not.

Charles

Actually, its rotor radius roughly at the pad center. Technically it should be the centroid of the pad /w respects to the center or rotation assuming the pad has even pressure at all points, but Pad center probably works :thumb:

nice!

i wonder if they can fit under 17"s though :/

yea, well if the calipers fit then any rotors will fit inside the rim right?

i am using Evo IX MR BBS Rims so i know that Evo calipers will fit just fine, but they are a little smaller and this seems like a cheaper option.

i just dont really want to buy these calipers and looks for some rotors if it wont clear on my rims though

I suggest not completing the swap as described on dsmtalk, the cobra rotors are 1.10 inch thick and the cts-v/camaro ss caliper is designed to be used with a 1.26 inch thick rotor. Doubling the brake pads is a very bad idea.

We have known that the calipers bolt up, what isn't known is the correction of offset needed with the proper thickness rotors.

Sweet. Now what size are EVO 8 rotors? We know they have the same bolt pattern and more than likely the same hub centric. If they're 13" rotors like the cobra's why wouldn't they work as described on DSMtalk?

Also, in that thread it looks as part he shaved off on the mounting point was on the inside portion (between the hub and caliper) so that the caliper would not stick out as far and should bring the positioning of it in closer to the hub. Then he had to put the extra pad in to make up for that difference he shaved off. If he would have just left it alone and not shaved off the mounting point he probably wouldn't have had to double up the pad on the inside section. He may have then had to either get a wheel spacer to throw the wheels out further or get a different offset wheel.

Correct me if I'm not seeing things correctly.

The 14 inch rotor described above from the 370z or g37 will work perfectly. Im not sure why people are battling this. Also cheaper than any other option at 100 a piece.

James :dsm::talon::laser:

The 14 inch rotor described above from the 370z or g37 will work perfectly. Im not sure why people are battling this. Also cheaper than any other option at 100 a piece.

I'm not sure but it seems that the 13" rotors he put on his vehicle are correct in diameter, not the 14's unless a bracket is made. They way I see it. The CTS-V's caliper is bolted further away from the center of the knuckle on the caddy so it allows the 14" rotor to be bolted up. It seems are dsm knuckles bolt the CTS-V caliper closer the center of the knuckle so we need the smaller 13" rotor not the 14".

You dont think this will work. The opaque one on top is what a 14inch rotor would look like.

And if you refer to the skematic of the caliper from brembo, the top right shows the angle at which the rotor comes in at. If you look closely, my 14inch ghost rotor matches up perfectly with how brembo intended.

Attachments

• CTSV.jpg
    CTSV.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,325
Hmm that does look close. I guess the only way to find out is to try. Good work with the overlay it does make 1" look pretty minuscule, in my mind it seemed larger, hopefully that picture proves correct.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back