The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Questions for Justin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im gonna rock the shit out of the HY then

Here's a picture of my HY35, and a dyno chart.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see it makes over 450whp from 5000rpm to probably 9500+ rpm. It would make more earlier, but I have the bcs solenoid keeping the boost low early to keep the torque down.

Put that bi*** on and go fast. I can tell you from experience HY35 = Bitches gettin' wet.

Attachments

• hy35.jpg
    hy35.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 364
Here's a picture of my HY35, and a dyno chart.

You can see it makes over 450whp from 5000rpm to probably 9500+ rpm. It would make more earlier, but I have the bcs solenoid keeping the boost low early to keep the torque down.

Put that bi*** on and go fast. I can tell you from experience HY35 = Bitches gettin' wet.

Thats all the evidence i need LoL,I will let you guys know.

Thats perfect thanks! I was just watching the HY again and im AMAZED how a small turbo as the HY performs so great!! It looks almost as a 16G LOL

Am I measuring this to be a 65mm or so compressor wheel? I can't really measure the diameter straight across because obviously there is no blade straight across. I was told it was a 71mm billet Pro HX52. I also showed what 71mm should look like in the second picture.

Attachments

• HX52.jpg
    HX52.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 87
  • HX52(1).jpg
    HX52(1).jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 82
  • HX52(3).jpg
    HX52(3).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 88
About the EVO3 16g turbo that didn't want to spin easily, I took it back apart and found the turbine side seal still tweaked at one end. I straightened that out carefully and reassembled, and it worked properly. I took a closer look at the compressor cover and found all kinds of damage to that and the wheel. It's easier to see in the daylight. :D Since it had over 0.020" thrust play, I'm sure there's a big gap in there. I ran the truck last night and it still makes good boost but it is down a little. 40-41 lbs/min max. I might take the easy way out and put the 50 trim back on it, but I know the 16g will do 11.5 in this thing. The season is nearly over though.

If I fix this thing, is there a known good source of EVO3 16g wheels/covers? I see some options on Ebay, including comp covers that eliminate that damned 2 bolt outlet, but searching turns up lots of people saying they want to try them, not many return to say how it turned out. :) What's the best option for a max effort 16g type setup?

Am I measuring this to be a 65mm or so compressor wheel? I can't really measure the diameter straight across because obviously there is no blade straight across. I was told it was a 71mm billet Pro HX52. I also showed what 71mm should look like in the second picture.
Measure from the center of the shaft to the tip of one blade then multiply by 2. Yours appears to be one of the 67/68mm HX52's.

About the EVO3 16g turbo that didn't want to spin easily, I took it back apart and found the turbine side seal still tweaked at one end. I straightened that out carefully and reassembled, and it worked properly. I took a closer look at the compressor cover and found all kinds of damage to that and the wheel. It's easier to see in the daylight. :D Since it had over 0.020" thrust play, I'm sure there's a big gap in there. I ran the truck last night and it still makes good boost but it is down a little. 40-41 lbs/min max. I might take the easy way out and put the 50 trim back on it, but I know the 16g will do 11.5 in this thing. The season is nearly over though.

If I fix this thing, is there a known good source of EVO3 16g wheels/covers? I see some options on Ebay, including comp covers that eliminate that damned 2 bolt outlet, but searching turns up lots of people saying they want to try them, not many return to say how it turned out. :) What's the best option for a max effort 16g type setup?
You can get a "downfiring"-style 16G cover, sure. I believe Kamak/Kinugawa makes ones with a 3" inlet that would mimic the 50-trim's specs:

Turbo Compressor Housing 3" TRUSTs TD06 TD06SL2 TD06H 16G ( EVO3-16G) | eBay

Finding a Genuine Evo III compressor can be difficult and expensive. The eBay units are far less-durable and have standard blade thickness so they won't be as light or efficient as the MHI wheel.

Measure from the center of the shaft to the tip of one blade then multiply by 2. Yours appears to be one of the 67/68mm HX52's.
You can also take a measurement off 3 points, then multiply it by 1.05 to get the diameter.
Finding a Genuine Evo III compressor can be difficult and expensive. The eBay units are far less-durable and have standard blade thickness so they won't be as light or efficient as the MHI wheel.

I think I remember the FP guy saying they had a bunch of new EIII 16g compressors around from making 68HTA's

Justin or any guys,Have anybody heard of a HX40WP?? Is a 7 blades but i would like to know the specs on it

oiling issue?

sending this to ya when you answer your pms :(

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 102
Something's going on- that shaft looks really blue....although how the hell did the locknut come off during operation and not wreck the compressor wheel? Then again, how did it come off at all as the shaft is left-hand threaded?

I couldn't possibly know for sure if this is repairable without seeing the turbo, but about 99% of the time it's not fixable because the center housing gets damaged from the broken turbine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nut was actually up inside the filter...

But I will pull the center apart today at lunch, I didn't have the little pliers for the snap rings at home but we have them at work.

Turbine sealing ring surface is what normally gets egged out beyond repair. If you see visible damage to the compressor as well as evidence that the broken turbine rubbed the sealing surface, it's time to start turbo-shopping.

Where's the sealing surface?

Got the trust plate and one of the bearings they all look fine to me and i took a closer look at the shaft its only blue in the center but perfect were it rides on the bearings, if this was a oiling problem wouldn't the entire shaft be blue?

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 97
So I'm a little confused on the hunt for a 12cm TS housing for my HX35. Are these both the same, just one non wastegated?

They would be the same if they have the same spec- it's hard finding a 12cm non-wastegated housing, so be careful that the seller isn't listing it incorrectly.

After doing some more research, is this because they didn't come on trucks, rather on heavy machinery only for the non wg versions? I just figured it would fit better and have one less spot for leaking.

After doing some more research, is this because they didn't come on trucks, rather on heavy machinery only for the non wg versions? I just figured it would fit better and have one less spot for leaking.
neither or those are 12cm2 non wastegated. one is the 12cm2 wastegated, that one was on ebay a bit ago, i recognize it. the other one is a non-wastegated, but definitely not 12cm2, looks like a 16cm2 at least, if not bigger (guessing bigger). The 12cm2 nonwastegated are impossible to find, i lurked 2 diesel forums for a few months trying to find one, with no success. I finally ended up ordering one from here:
12cm2 Non-Wastegated Turbine Housing (Short Outlet)
Looks like they are out of stock now, though. Speaking of which, i dont know if they shipped mine out, maybe they are on backorder. :( Finding one of these 12cm2 non-wastegated pieces is needle-in-a-haystack status. Pay heed to justins warning about incorrect listing, i bought one where the owner swore up and down it was 12cm2 off the classifieds, only to find when i received it that it was 18cm2.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back