The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

I was dead set on a 4088 until I read this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow WTF If the s370 is basically the same size as a 4202, then the s374 must be freaking ginormous! Hard to believe a turbo that large spooled similar to the 4088 on that skyline in the link I posted at the beginning of this thread.

I don't believe that is correct. From what I have gathered, the S372 is like a gt4294 and the S374 is like a gt4202. So following that trend, I'd expect an S370 to be like say a gt4094?

Here's what kiggly told me:

Bullseye named these the S372 (with the 70.8mm comp wheel) and S374 (with the 74.5mm comp wheel).

S374 with 1.0AR turbine housing. This is the competitor to a big GT42R, but ~105lb/min

S372 with 0.9AR turbine housing. This is the competitor to a small GT42R, but ~ 95lb/min

Hope that clears things up

Slippi asked me to stop in for some info. Let's see how this goes.

1992awdlaser has the answer for the "dsmlink vs AEM" tangent. Agreed totally.

Now my buddy Jay's Honda; jkimes I appreciate your skepticism. Totally understood. But I can assure you I've been around enough not to make stuff up, LOL. No reason and no offense taken.

I posted that info on another forum because of the content in that thread. There is a bit of skepticism on the BW's because they haven't been run too much. Therefore I posted up just as a point of interest/reference. There is however a thread on here on the s256?. Its an interesting read that made me look at the BW's as an very viable possibility for my current project.

Twicks, you are right, apples to apples its not. Its just a statement on the strength of these turbos. There is very little doubt in my mind that this is a mid 850whp fwd turbo. The more interesting thing about these turbos is what you alluded to; the torque curve seems to come on relatively strong and hold on pretty well. Also, the spool up on these seems to be alot like a BB turbo. As for the dyno, I guess I could get over to Jay's at some point and try to post it up. But honestly, with my regular work, and my important work (the car projects, LOL) I'm gonna pass on that. But it was tuned by Jeff Evans out of Pennsylvania, so it should be somewhere on his site (I believe he saves all his tunes) You can look under Jay Selander within the past month.

Oh yeah, here are some particulars on his car;

85MM Sleeved Type-R Block (B18C5)
Manley Rods
CP 9.7:1 T-bone Coated Pistons (Hmm, I thought they were 9.0's. Oh well)
OEM GSR Crank
Type-R Ported Head
Skunk2 Pro 1 Cams
Crower Valvetrain
Edelbrock IM
Blox 74MM TB
3" IC Piping
Precision Front Mount
4"DP and 4" Aluminum Exhaust

His S366 has an .82 A/R

I hope that helps a little.

MB

Wow, just stumbled onto this thread, and I see everyone else on here already knows me! ROFL Thanks everyone! :thumb:

I would love to see what the S374 does, but it is much more along the frame of a GT42R, and would require me to do some extra modifications to try one out.

Personally, I think -- More power to you! Run one and post up the results -- it is all about trial and error, and sometimes you get lucky.

As for streetability -- I think that my GT4088R is extremely streetable. I normally have it setup for street driving with fast spoolup (modified ignition map for early spoolup), resulting in up to 40psi+ of boost reached by 4000-4200rpms, and the insanity ends at redline (set at 8500rpms). For the track, I change my ignition timing back for slower spoolup since I am using a 2-step without anti-lag to build boost at the line. Even with the slow-spoolup ignition timing map, I see full boost around 4500-4700rpms.

The car has currently put down 753AWHP/713TQ @ 40psi peak, falling to 35psi) on a new DynoJet AWD dyno at Beyond Redline Performance in Green Bay, WI after changing over intake manifolds.

It hasn't been to the track yet, but the previous numbers were 741AWHP/696TQ at 49psi peak, falling to 42psi; on a DynoCom AWD dyno (also at Beyond Redline Performance), and track times of 9.96 @ 143mph with a best MPH of 147.88mph at 35psi on Q16 fuel in a 3200# street car on Hoosier QTP slicks.

At 30psi of boost, the old intake manifold (magnus) vs. the new manifold (Beyond Redline) made an additional 108.97 HP and 74.23 TQ with just a manifold swap. The car now makes around 635AWHP at 30psi on Q16 gas.

New Intake manifold numbers:
30psi = 635AWHP/590ish TQ (can't remember)
40psi = 753AWHP/713TQ (boost falling to 35psi at upper rpms)
50psi = ??? -- hopefully around 825AWHP or so.

I really like the Garrett turbos, especially my GT4088R. I definitely would love to see some more numbers put down with these Borg Warner turbos though. It might be worth checking out!

As for popcorn eating..., I am currently on Transmission #16. The car will be back up and running by next week.

My goals for this turbo is to put down solid low-9's, and 155mph trap speeds.

THATS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL haha damn~!!:dsm:

ok, so I thought I had maps for both the S372 and S374, but I only have it for the latter, which I got in the mail yesterday!

Here are some pics of the S374 vs a gt3076 (~fp3052 which I was running)
I'm excited to say the least :D :thumb: :rocks: :sneaky:

Thanks to the guys over @ FFTEC for getting started on my manifold!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ok, so I thought I had maps for both the S372 and S374, but I only have it for the latter, which I got in the mail yesterday!

Here are some pics of the S374 vs a gt3076 (~fp3052 which I was running)
I'm excited to say the least :D :thumb: :rocks: :sneaky:

Thanks to the guys over @ FFTEC for getting started on my manifold!

That is one big 14b LOL j/k That thing is Ginormous. WHat is that 4" in and 3 " out?

Fftec carry's the borg warner turbos, edwin?
That thing looks huge compare to that 30r.
I almost purchased a evo IX today mang haha

Wow! Those pics just put a big smile on my face :D ..that turbo is so huge it's almost obscene. The compressor cover looks very simlar to the gt4294r. Care to tell us roughly how much that bad boy cost?

Slippi, it is a 5" inlet and a 3" outlet on the compressor, and a 3.5" exhaust outlet.

Chavez, FFTEC can get BW turbos, just ask.

jkimes, I got a good deal on it from kiggly. He had it posted up for about $1300

good times edwin! I just did some tuning on my s258 with dave tonight. Im thinking about maybe scheduling an appt. with sean at fftec to get some dyno tuning done. I just want a safe place to up the boost and tune without being on streets!

Based on the s300 series compressor maps on bullseyepower.com as well as the forum listings on their page that suggest that some hefty DSMs have run high 9 second 1/4 mile times with s366 turbos It seems like an s372 or s374 might be overkill for my high 9 second/ 700whp goal. It looks like the 372 might be comprable to a 4294r and be capable of 900+ whp and the s374 should compete with the 4202 and make even more power. I would think that the s372 and s374 turbos would be much laggier than the 4088 but if it turns out that they can spool similarly and only cost $1,300 I would be all over one of these like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Bullseye Power Turbos

My friend ran [email protected] with S366.Full race car. And he 'll bring it down to a 9.5-9.6 with a better 60' time.

Bullseye Power Forums :: View topic - Thanks Bullseye!! S366 in my 1993 Mitsu went 9.91@149

So that turbo on a street car shoul easily make low to mid 10's.
I don't know what your goals are, though.

My friend ran [email protected] with S366.Full race car. And he 'll bring it down to a 9.5-9.6 with a better 60' time.

Bullseye Power Forums :: View topic - Thanks Bullseye!! S366 in my 1993 Mitsu went 9.91@149

So that turbo on a street car shoul easily make low to mid 10's.
I don't know what your goals are, though.

Hell a S362 can get you low 10's. Most people pushing the s362 I have found are making 500-650whp and spooling around 4800 some faster depending on the setup and displacement. Your friend is right on the money with a 9.9 with a s366. I think that getting caught up in a hp goal though is too one dimentional. I stopped worrying about hp goals with my car and built it to go fast period. Broad powerband, a turbo that works well at a psi level that you can tune effectivly and wether you want it to be more streetable or all out drag are the main things to look at I feel. Twicks car isn't just beast and fast because he can make a shit load of hp his powerband and tune are top notch.

Powerband is key. If you can tune the car to make peak torque as early as possible while holding it as long as possible, it will really put down a serious amount of HP -- especially the average HP.

Example -- here is an old dynosheet from last year when the car put down 740awhp/696tq, starting at 2000rpms, and going until 7800rpms or so. Though it put down a solid peak number for HP and torque, we were able to do alot with AEM EMS and adjustable cam gears until we got the powerband we wanted. In this circumstance, we sacrificed a little torque to put down a longer HP powerband due to the adjustment of the cam gears. Magnus SMIM, 1G unported head, stock size valves, hks 272's, crower single springs.

This dyno pull was done in 3rd gear without early spoolup. If you wanted to spool it up an extra 1000-1500rpms faster, it is easy to do with AEM EMS by retarding your ramp-up ignition timing under load.

Average HP (2000-7800rpms) = 438AWHP
Average TQ (2000-7800rpms) = 417TQ

Now, the car is putting down higher numbers than this due to the intake manifold swap (Beyond Redline SMIM), a new cylinder head with stock ports and 1mm oversize valves, dual springs and HKS 288 cams). Since the new parts, we were able to put down more HP and TQ throughout the powerband without sacrificing spoolup, and we can rev longer with no power loss. I don't have any of my recent dyno sheets in hand to show the improvements, but we went from 740awhp at 49psi, to 750+whp at 40psi now with the new parts.

Anyone can put down a crazy HP number. Make alot of torque -- that is more impressive in my book. Then you don't have to rev your stuff to 10.5K rpms and trash your transmissions the whole time.

Attachments

• DSC03733.jpg
    DSC03733.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 569
  • DSC03735.jpg
    DSC03735.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 564
I posted that info on another forum because of the content in that thread. There is a bit of skepticism on the BW's because they haven't been run too much. Therefore I posted up just as a point of interest/reference. There is however a thread on here on the s256?. Its an interesting read that made me look at the BW's as an very viable possibility for my current project.

Twicks, you are right, apples to apples its not. Its just a statement on the strength of these turbos. There is very little doubt in my mind that this is a mid 850whp fwd turbo. The more interesting thing about these turbos is what you alluded to; the torque curve seems to come on relatively strong and hold on pretty well. Also, the spool up on these seems to be alot like a BB turbo. As for the dyno, I guess I could get over to Jay's at some point and try to post it up. But honestly, with my regular work, and my important work (the car projects, LOL) I'm gonna pass on that. But it was tuned by Jeff Harris out of Pennsylvania, so it should be somewhere on his site (I believe he saves all his tunes) You can look under Jay Selander within the past month.

Oh yeah, here are some particulars on his car;

85MM Sleeved Type-R Block (B18C5)
Manley Rods
CP 9.7:1 T-bone Coated Pistons (Hmm, I thought they were 9.0's. Oh well)
OEM GSR Crank
Type-R Ported Head
Skunk2 Pro 1 Cams
Crower Valvetrain
Edelbrock IM
Blox 74MM TB
3" IC Piping
Precision Front Mount
4"DP and 4" Aluminum Exhaust

His S366 has an .82 A/R

I hope that helps a little.

MB

I'm glad that Jason likes the turbo. After Pete got the call from you, he told me as soon as I got back in the Shop.

Speed Trapp Consulting is a Borg-Warner distributor that mainly works with race teams. Pete and myself sent Jason Selander his S366 in the T4 divided .84A/R. I've had 2 talons for a few years until I sold them. Along w/ Bullseye and Turbo Trader, there are a few of us that specialize with Borg-Warner turbos, but are not official SPONSERS. Please let me know if you have questions about information on Borg-Warner or any other turbochargers. I'm typically on Honda-Tech and the Supra Forums, but check in here often.

I'm not incredibly savvy at reading compressor maps but isn't the 362 closer to the 4088 than the 366? It looks like the 366 is capable of more lbs per min than a 4088. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like the s362 map would look almost identical to the 4088 map if the graphs were scaled to the same proportions. Am I missing something?

I'm not incredibly savvy at reading compressor maps but isn't the 362 closer to the 4088 than the 366? It looks like the 366 is capable of more lbs per min than a 4088. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like the s362 map would look almost identical to the 4088 map if the graphs were scaled to the same proportions. Am I missing something?

The graph only tell part of the story, as I've found to try and compare the lbs/min all day and night, just turns ya blue to the face. But you're right, the S366 is a bit more like the GT4088R, and about a year or 2 one company did some back to back uses on a Honda & DSM, and both came about even on the 2 turbos, with the S366 having a bit more midrange torque in the powerband. It's nice to see these turbos perform so well without the need of the ball-bearing cartridge to show power potential.

Here's a couple more teaser pics for you guys. The first few are the S374 vs a custom pte gt42r. And the others are the 42r, s374, 4094r, and t25

Enjoy. Manifold pics to come soon.

According to DNP's website, it should fit. It shares nearly the same compressor cover as the GT42. There are minor differences, but the overall size is the same. Just make sure your dnp is divided to optimize this turbo's spool characteristics. But I personally will be running a top mount made by a DSMTuners vendor, Full Function (FFTEC). It'll be a few days before all the materials are here, but I'm excited to get started.

Well, if he is reccomending against the 4-spider, then Shep should use the hardened chromoly cross-shaft with additional oiling grooves; designed, manufactured and sold by Luke Stubbs of Beyond Redline Performance ( Beyond Redline :: Performance Center )- - It is the only one I haven't broken over the years. It has lasted 4 or 5 transmissions, and every time it is taken apart, there is no excessive wear, no discoloration due to heat, and no damage. Great Part! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Just talk to Luke, and he can send Shep a cross-shaft if you want to put it in. The only other alternative is a spool or a Quaife; and I would stay away from the spool. Mine just lasted 3 dyno pulls and 20 street miles before having issues -- along with having even crappier turning radius.

Twicks, im not sure what the "hardened chromoly cross-shaft" you were referring to does exactly. Is this similar to a 4-spider or am I completely off-base? :confused:

Also, I noticed that a race transmission from dogboxracing.com is only about $1,500 vs. about $2650 for a stage 4 from Sheptrans. Does anyone have experience using one of these transmissions on a car with 600+ ft lbs of torque? Is the shep trans worth the extra 1100 bucks?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back