The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleakley

Proven Member
Jan 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So... Call me crazy. But has anyone tried this? Or have any info (gear ratios the same?)
Apparently the F4A33 was used in V6 sonatas
I’m assuming the bellhousing is different..

I’m heading to the junkyard Friday, and am scooping one up to see if I’d simply be able to switch some stuff around and make it work for my car.

The why: transmissions in our cars are f***ing BEAT. Beat on their whole lives and you go buy a used one, you can’t be surprised when it blows up. Paying $350-$500 isn’t worth it. It’s a crock of sh*t. Transmissions in the Sonatas on the other hand have been babied in comparison. AND they f***ing cost less...

Maybe some of the internals might work in a dsm auto transmission, but you would definitely have to do something about the v6 bell housing, IIRC this transmission is a lot like the 3kgt fwd auto transmission, and the bell housing on the 3kgt does not unbolt from the main case, so again at best you might be able to use internals from it in a 4 cylinder dsm auto transmission case perhaps.

The bell housing may or may not work, also the transmission may sit backwards.
Just the guy I was hoping would chime in. Thanks for replying.
Hoping it would all just magically bolt up somehow, but there’s no way it’d ever be that easy right? ;)
Backwards as in??? Cause I believe the orientation of the engine and transmission in the engine bay is just like ours. Engine on driver’s side, transmission on passenger side. Which would have to make it sit about right?

@mitsubishikid, And wow, that’d be a bit of a bummer. That’s what my dad said. Might have to pull everything out, and transfer it over along with a rebuild kit or something. I’ll keep everyone updated and take pictures and whatnot.

This all started cause I went to the junkyard Friday or Saturday and they tried selling me a nonturbo transmission. Called up earlier in the week and had them pull a tranny. Went to pick it up and they were going to have me pay before looking at it. I’m like, uhh I’d like to see it first please, make sure it’s not cracked or anything. We walk up to it and the guys like there ya go!
At that moment I’m like alright, f*** this. There’s gotta be another way. Figured I might as well try and see if there is another way or not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back