The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

HX-35 BEP .55 Housing Results on 2G AWD(1/4 and Dyno)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to get the .70 BEP Turbine housing instead and replace the manifold?
He's going to tell you to go hy35 and be done with it LOL.
I swear sometimes you guys know me better than I know myself.

If you're planning to use a HX35 as a single-scroll T3 turbo, forget the HX35 and buy a HY.

Yes, that is the housing he is using. I believe it is from a mid 90s Dodge Cummins.
3524123 is a 4BT-specific housing from a smaller H1C...no Dodge truck ever came with a non-gated HX35, and those which were equipped with non-gated H1C's never had smaller than an 18cm2 housing. Guys doing 4BT swaps into anything and everything is what keeps the price high by driving the demand.

Thanks for the clairification Jus, I am not THE turbo guy.
Listen to the man, he is MY turbo guy! :thumb:

Just for comparison, Im running a morrison fab consolidated runner twin scroll t3 manifold and hx35 @ 35psi on my bone stock 7 bolt in my 95 talon awd auto. I seen 24psi by 3400rpm and 35psi by 3900 rpm. The thing literally spools faster than my ported 2g manifold and 16g combo LOL. At 35psi the car runs 11.55@120 hitting the 7900rpm limiter in 3rd just before the stripe, all while cutting horrible 1.9 sixty foots spinning all 4 out off the line. Its making well over 400whp through the auto and keeps up and outruns 600whp domestics all day... just need a set of cams and i know for a fact i will be in the high 10's if i can cut a good 60' time with my drag radials. Just been having too much fun with the car how it is currently to mess with it or bother to toss a set of cams in that i have laying around off my other dsm. It is a street BEAST. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190113-211447_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190113-211447_Gallery.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_20190113-211458_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190113-211458_Gallery.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 237
1995 TSI AWD Auto Talon with a shift box. Stock except for the HX35, 1200cc injectors, Link and a twin scroll manifold using a stock HX35 hot side, not even a BEP housing.
Ran 11.5 @ 120 about a month ago first pass off the trailer on E85. It's my oldest sons car and was just thrown together with extra parts and a old used 7 bolt motor with stock cams. The car ran mid 11's all day and he could have drove it there and back but trailered it in case something broke since it was just a bunch of old parts put to use.
Not the specifics you asked for but something for you to chew on. The manifold was the thing that really set that car up (and the most expensive), the rest was simple.
Here is the car, it has parts from several different cars. Purposely deceiving......
And for those that told me that a Spyder door would not fit on a 2g, well, there it is! :)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You should tell your son to join the site and post up his car info/results in the Holset Results thread.

I have seen his videos....but will let him post them up when he feels like it. I'll keep prodding him to add them :p
Thanks for the cool comments you guys!!!

Just for comparison, Im running a morrison fab consolidated runner twin scroll t3 manifold and hx35 @ 35psi on my bone stock 7 bolt in my 95 talon awd auto. I seen 24psi by 3400rpm and 35psi by 3900 rpm. The thing literally spools faster than my ported 2g manifold and 16g combo LOL. At 35psi the car runs 11.55@120 hitting the 7900rpm limiter in 3rd just before the stripe, all while cutting horrible 1.9 sixty foots spinning all 4 out off the line. Its making well over 400whp through the auto and keeps up and outruns 600whp domestics all day... just need a set of cams and i know for a fact i will be in the high 10's if i can cut a good 60' time with my drag radials. Just been having too much fun with the car how it is currently to mess with it or bother to toss a set of cams in that i have laying around off my other dsm. It is a street BEAST. ;)

Good to know, I've got a bunch of parts on the way, a few of them being a Morrison T3 Twin scroll manifold, a set of GSC S2's and a 12 cm twin scroll turbine housing for my HX35 :D. Can't wait for summer. Is your car currently on drag radials?

I will answer for him as he doesn't get on much. He was on Perreli's, street tires and was having a hell of a time with traction. He called me and I gave him some tips, and it went down the track, but the answer for that questions was, No.
We do have some Hankook Ventus drag radials but he didn't use them on this first outing.

Good to know, I've got a bunch of parts on the way, a few of them being a Morrison T3 Twin scroll manifold, a set of GSC S2's and a 12 cm twin scroll turbine housing for my HX35 :D. Can't wait for summer. Is your car currently on drag radials?

I also purchased the Morrison Fab twin scroll T3. I'm glad to see someone able to reproduce the results on a different car. They are pretty hard to believe otherwise.

I will answer for him as he doesn't get on much. He was on Perreli's, street tires and was having a hell of a time with traction. He called me and I gave him some tips, and it went down the track, but the answer for that questions was, No.
We do have some Hankook Ventus drag radials but he didn't use them on this first outing.

So I'm guessing he still hasn't had a chance to run the radials, can't wait to see what times he pulls off with the drag radials.

I also purchased the Morrison Fab twin scroll T3. I'm glad to see someone able to reproduce the results on a different car. They are pretty hard to believe otherwise.

Have you had a chance to run the setup yet?

No I haven't. It will be going on this winter.

Nice, I'm still waiting for mine to be made, just purchased a few days ago so I'm sure it'll be a little while. I can't wait to put this thing on the dyno after. My most powerful car before this was a 2G Talon with a 16g on 22psi so this should be a blast. I'm expecting it to pull kind of like my bike.

I’m excited to hear about your experiences with the Morrison Fab DSM TS T3 manifold.
Has anyone found the 12cm^2 housing too small to hold boost out to their target rpm?
I’d really like to see a dyno plot w/boost curve for the guy above that achieved 35psi by 3,900rpm, that’s awesome!
I’m curious, has anyone ever ran the larger Holset 14cm^2 or 16cm^2 TS T3 hotsides with their HX35’s?

I’m excited to hear about your experiences with the Morrison Fab DSM TS T3 manifold.
Has anyone found the 12cm^2 housing too small to hold boost out to their target rpm?
I’d really like to see a dyno plot w/boost curve for the guy above that achieved 35psi by 3,900rpm, that’s awesome!
I’m curious, has anyone ever ran the larger Holset 14cm^2 or 16cm^2 TS T3 hotsides with their HX35’s?

Matt's (black97spyder) spool times are fantastic! Especially considering it's through an auto where the torque converter flashes and pushes/skews the spool rpm up :) We are thrilled to see how much he has been enjoying the car- especially a sleeper like that.

We do have some dyno plots and logs showing boost/rpm in different gears by the way, but not overlaid unfortunately.

When we switched from a 12cm^2 to a 16cm^2 turbine housing on a 7 blade HX35, the car didn't pick up any mph and no VE/AFR change. The exhaust note was a little louder when driving around, and response/spool was noticeably a bit slower (it was an auto at that time so giving it an exact rpm is tricky). All of which were a bit disappointing since it was also changed to an externally dumped wastegate vs recirculated, which we also thought may help it a bit since it was a full (3") exhaust. The car still worked on the stock converter, but took 1-2 seconds longer to get there.

The overall boost holding/dropping was the same 12cm^2/16cm^2, which was as high as 38psi in the midrange and steadily dropping to ~28psi by 8k. Lb/min airflow would flatline by something like 5500rpm to 8.5k, seeming to indicate that it was simply out of compressor flow.

On the 60mm HX40 hybrid, using the HX35 turbine and 16cm^2 housing, boost held much much better (never dropped, but also never ran above 35psi) and picked up 4-5 mph at the track at the same boost (something like 128mph hx35, 133mph hx40 hybrid- through the auto @32-33psi weighing 3250 in street trim with driver). We never tried the smaller 12cm^2 housing, as we were worried about drivepressure/turbine shaft and hoped the larger a/r would offset the mismatch for compressor vs turbine.

As far as the HX40 (67mm Turbolab) and divided T3, Cody Vaughn went from 700whp using a 12cm turbine housing machined to fit the HX40 turbine wheel, to 750whp (with no other changes) after switching to a 16cm housing. Those numbers are through an auto, which is ridiculous, and the highest divided T3 numbers we are aware of.

Awesome response!!
I wonder if this wheel https://www.dieselsite.com/wickedwheel1998-2002cummins-1.aspx in a 12cm² or 14cm² housing would help keep boost from tapering off?

As far as the HX40 (67mm Turbolab) and divided T3, Cody Vaughn went from 700whp using a 12cm turbine housing machined to fit the HX40 turbine wheel, to 750whp (with no other changes) after switching to a 16cm housing. Those numbers are through an auto, which is ridiculous, and the highest divided T3 numbers we are aware of.

Very impressive!!

Last edited:
Not often do i floor the car at 2500rpm and test the spool up of my car, but with a couple logs in front of me right now. At 3515 rpm going full throttle, i go from -5 in/hg to 35psi in less than 2 seconds. I practically never start a pull under 3500rpm now that the car is tuned BUT with me looking at other logs, after i slapped a kill tune in it, i am typically seeing 35psi around 4400 rpm in 2nd gear in the auto but fastest spool i ever seen was 33psi and 3900 rpm when i was first tuning and before i put any timing in the car. After throwing the kill tune in it, the 10* added timing (from 8* peak to 18* peak) and massive torque increase has made the converter flash drastically, even with it being a stock 2g converter which has skewed the numbers a bit. I will try to get you guys a screenshot of a fresh log where i start at 2500rpm in the next week or so showing the rpm/boost numbers.

It's a FUN ASS car to ride in!!! :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back