The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G How to Adjust the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knochgoon24

DSM Wiseman
Jan 29, 2008
Troy, Michigan
Ok, so I just replaced my throttle shaft seals and my scribe marks aren't enough to help me get the TPS lined up correctly. When in park, the RPM will go from 1100 then slowly climb to over 2000.

I found this post, but I'm not sure I understand it correctly:

From what I can tell 2G's TPS adjustment procedure is different than what I've posted for 1G's.

2G's critical adjustment is the Idle Position Switch that's part of the TPS.
The manual has you place a 0.0177" (0.45mm) feeler gauge between the stop screw and the throttle pulley to open the butterfly and then adjust the TPS right to where the IPS (pins 3 and 4) switches from closed to open. Then they have you verify that the TPS (pin 2 and 4) reads between 0.4 and 1.0V while the feeler gauge is still in place.
Anything in that range is ok as long as the IPS is adjusted correctly.
There is no way to adjust the TPS voltage independently of the IPS on a 2G that I can see.

So if I understand correctly:
1. Loosen the 2 TPS bolts.
2. Put a feeler gauge of 0.0177" under the stop screw
3. Turn the car to the ON position
4. Rotate the TPS until pins 3 & 4 lose continuity (open)
5. Verify that the voltage between pins 2 & 4 is .4-1 volt with the feeler still in.
6. Tighten TPS bolts and remove feeler gauge.

Am I correct?

Alright I will try it again with the same tps and see if anything changes but that is as close as I could get it. I also have a few tps sensors laying around so I will give them a try also. Thanks

Edit just checked and out of the 7 tps I have laying around, they are all 1g tps sensors! Just my luck!

So what % would it show on evo scan?

There's actually a value to log that shows 1 or 0 depending on whether the IPS is open or closed.

Idle Position Switch
Request: 4A
Function: x bit 128

Just got my hands on another 2g tps sensor. I put it on and still the same thing!

Does it matter that I have my TPS facing downward and to the left instead of upward and to the right? I can't put it upwards and to the right because it hits my SMIM.

Just got my hands on another 2g tps sensor. I put it on and still the same thing! Does it matter that I have my tps facing downward and to the left instead of upward and to the right? I can't put it upwards and to the right because it hits my SMIM.

im in the same boat... more wandering idle... i managed to grab another sensor as well, and it made no difference... i feel like such an asshole for thinking this is some simple task...

i was hoping to not modify my car at all, but it looks like i may have to close up the IAV? :sosad:

Measuring continuity is usually done using the resistance (ohms) scales on the mulitmeter not one of the voltage scales.

Continuity is what you meter displays when the probes are touching (close to or equal to zero ohms) and no continuity (infinite ohms) is what it displays when the probes aren't touching. Almost every meter I own has different readings for no continuity so you need to check yours.

Continuity can easily be found using voltage scales. The ghost voltage method will prove this. You will need a high impedance digital multimeter. Set the Multimeter to voltage you will see a very small amount of unsteady voltage(ghost voltage). Once continuity is achieved the voltage will drop to 0.0v (true zero) and hold steady until continuity is lost. Just another method of doing things I suppose.

If I may add some other helpful steps/info

1. Loosen the 2 TPS screws.
2a. Loosen the throttle cable bracket bolts
2. Put a feeler gauge of .0177" under the stop screw
3. Turn the car to the ON position
4. Rotate the TPS until pins 3 & 4 lose continuity (open) The top pins are 3 and 4.
5. Verify that the voltage between pins 2 & 4 is .4-1 volt with the feeler still in.
6. Tighten TPS bolts and remove feeler gauge.
6a. Tighten throttle cable.

My build was a complete overhaul. My tps/throttle cable did not come set.
I found that this is a good way to set both of them.

Setting the TPS corrected a lot of issues I was having.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/stuttering-while-driving-but-accelerates-good.482438/
And it also smoothed out my idle

Hi, I need some help with my 2g gst. For some reason after the car heats up the revs goes up to 3000 or more. And it stays like that. I dont know what to do. I already replaced the mass sensor, o2 sensor and throttle body. Please help me out!!! Any suggestion send me an email at [email protected]. Thanks.

Is this also how you adjust the TPS on the 2.4l Spyder? Posting here instead of making a new one. Thanks guys I just got the car.

im going to say no initially, best to look up the 4g64 tps adjustment for your car.

Hi, I need some help with my 2g gst. For some reason after the car heats up the revs goes up to 3000 or more. And it stays like that. I dont know what to do. I already replaced the mass sensor, o2 sensor and throttle body. Please help me out!!! Any suggestion send me an email at [email protected]. Thanks.

check your coolant temp sensor. temp related issues with idling are going to be related to the coolant temp sensor(s) and the ISC.

off the top of my head I can't recall which one is which. They're all cheap enough I'd replace them all but I believe the 2 wore sensor is what sends the signal to the ecu but like I said, can't recall.

I have a problem with mine it will not rev over 5 1/2 grand can someone please help

I put the gas to the floor going down the road or in neutral and steal the same problem like it hits the rev limit.

It is a 97 Eclipse GST Spyder i've been working on it for about eight months and still no progress of saying recent post about one guys is only reven over four any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not understand step 5. What is 4-1?
What number on voltage meter is no continuity. Is this 0.

I'm new to the digital multimeter. You have to explain in very clear numbers and terms.

I do not understand step 5. What is 4-1?
What number on voltage meter is no continuity. Is this 0.

I'm new to the digital multimeter. You have to explain in very clear numbers and terms.

Google how to use a multimeter, you'll get a lot to read or watch but be better off for it. The key things you're trying to learn is how to make voltage measurements and how to make resistance measurements.

I think you are referring to step 5. "Verify that the voltage between pins 2 & 4 is .4-1 volt with the feeler still in. If you have a 1g MOST OF THIS THREAD DOESN'T APPLY."

That's a voltage measurement. You are looking for a voltage between ground and the TPS output of 0.4v to 1.0v to make sure the TPS isn't out of specification.

Continuity is a resistance measurement. You looking to see that there is a low resistance path between two points. The closer to 0 ohms you can the better continuity you have.

The question usually is what does your meter read when you have infinite resistance, like when it's set to measure resistance (ohms) and the probes aren't touching. Perfect continuity is what it displays when the probes are touching while it's set to measure resistance.

Last edited:
I had alot of issues with mine when i replaced it but i kept playing with it till it ran good.
When you say playing with it did you just keep turning it back-and-forth until it ran good I am running into the same problem didn't know if I was able to just put it in and try to adjust it by hand

On the Auto cars the TPS is used by the TCU when deciding where to shift.

On all 2G 4G63's the critial adjustment is where the throttle idle position switch opens and closes. The idle RPMs are not controlled by the TPS but by the BISS and the fixed idle stop screw which sets the limit for the throttle butterfly. The FSM makes a point of telling you not to touch it (FISS) because the position of the throttle butterfly when it's closed is critical for getting the proper idle speed.

Also on an automatic the ECU gets input from the transmission on if it's in gear or not. It uses this to manage the idle so that it's not racing in park and thumping when you put it into gear.

The car is intended to idle at 750RPM +- 100RPM in neutral or park and between 600-900RPM in gear.

With your "adjustments" it sounds like things are way out of whack now.

The procedure for setting the TPS is listed in the first post.
I just want to ask a question and it’s probably just me being stupid or something. Won’t be the first time. How do you check the voltage or the resistance if the connector is disconnected? I have a multimeter and the feeler gauge but I just can’t figure this out.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just want to ask a question and it’s probably just me being stupid or something. Won’t be the first time. How do you check the voltage or the resistance if the connector is disconnected? I have a multimeter and the feeler gauge but I just can’t figure this out.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
The TPS itself will give a reading so your takinv it directly from the TPS and not the wires, since the TPS is what makes the signal you can get that from the sensor on the pins at the rear. Thats how you get the readings from the sensor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back