The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Throttle Position Sensor Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g-gst

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Riverside, California
I did the throttle body swap on my 2g eclipse and am wondering how to adjust the tps. I reused 2g tps on the the 1g tb. It says to use the repair manual for instruction on adjusting the throttle position sensor but i dont have one. So im wondering if one of you guru's can help me out??? Thanks!!!

The correct procedure is to adjust where the Idle Position Switch changes from closed to open. With a 2G TB you place a feeler gauge between the stop screw and the throttle cable pulley to set how far open the butterfly is at this point but with a 1G TB your on your own as to how far the butterfly should be open when the IPS closes.

Do a search, I've posted the 2G procedure a few times including which pins on the TPS to use.

Steve

This may just be for future reference... Another option which I did is, if you have a logger, turn the car on just before it starts then turn your logger on to monitoring. This way you can go back to the throttle body TPS adjust it while looking at your logger to see where its at when closed and WOT.

Another option which I did is, if you have a logger, turn the car on just before it starts then turn your logger on to monitoring. This way you can go back to the throttle body TPS adjust it while looking at your logger to see where its at when closed and WOT.

If your logger displays the state of the IPS, you can use it instead of connecting to the pins on the TPS but if your suggesting looking at TPS voltage or position for adjustment, that will result in you misadjusting the TPS on a 2G.

TPS voltage only applies to adjusting a 1G TPS. Making sure that your butterfly opens 100% is a mechanical issue.

Steve

Last edited:
I guess to clarify... make sure your TBs mechanical functionality, meaning its fully closed, then fully open when the cable/Pedal is fully engaged. At this point, you can monitor your logger to see where your TPS corresponds to and adjust accordingly. For example, on mine it was initially showing 96% when the TB was fully open (WOT), I then turned the TPS a tiny bit clockwise until i got 98% when fully open but not beyond 0% when the TB was fully closed. Seems that I can't get it to go 0% to 100%, maybe somebody else has a suggestion on this or maybe its just a non-issue.

That's what I was afraid you were saying.

It's not important on a 2G (2.0T and 2.4) that the TPS voltage goes from 0 to 100%. As long as your throttle butterfly opens all the way and closes against the Fixed SAS.

What is critical on a 2G is that the Idle Position Switch opens and closes at the right point.

The TPS voltage is used to detect changes in throttle position and the magnitude of the change. The actual voltage at any given throttle angle isn't.

For example at idle the output voltage spec is 0.4v to 1.0v, the acceptable test values per the manual are 0.3 to 1.0v (6-20%) closed and 4.5 to 5.5v (80-100%) open. The range is to allow variances in sensor resistance and in the +5 sensor voltage.

The spec for TPS voltages when the IPS transitions from closed to open is much tighter 0.05 to 0.1v over the value at idle. If the TPS voltage rises more than 0.1v over what it is at idle the TPS is misadjusted again according to the FSM.

Steve

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back