The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Throttle Position sensor issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayyDSM_

Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2018
Huntsville, Alabama
Attached below is a video of my car, (1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, auto) of what happens when I drive it, when I hold my foot down and try and hold an rpm, when I try and accelerate slowly, or when I take my foot off, the rpm’s very rapidly jump down to idle and cause the car to lurch fowards. I just installed a new tps sensor as I had a code for a bad throttle position sensor circuit. I still have the code however I have not tried to clear so am unsure if it’s a current code or just needs to be reset. However when the car is off the throttle position sensor seems to work just fine and is represented by the photo below.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you datalogger there can record or at least put up a graph log the TPS and run it through it's range. Make sure it transitions smoothly.

Just how do you expect the car to perform correctly?
Sorry for being inexperienced did the video I send attach properly, and if so are you able to view it? I suspect the problem I’m having is TPS sensor related but I can’t find anything on it and am just trying to verify, obviously I don’t expect to run perfectly but just trying to find out if this problem is because I haven’t adjusted it properly.

Sorry for being inexperienced did the video I send attach properly, and if so are you able to view it? I suspect the problem I’m having is TPS sensor related but I can’t find anything on it and am just trying to verify, obviously I don’t expect to run perfectly but just trying to find out if this problem is because I haven’t adjusted it properly.
My point was tps isn't just a slap it on and go sort of thing.
Maybe start here.

There are many threads on the topic. I didn't crawl around the resources.

I haven’t done anything yet I just drove the car around my neighborhood today. I still need to sit aside time to do that. Was wondering if this issue was tps related.

Based on the problems you still have, I suspected that.

Some of the TPS threads really take you back, some to 2003.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back