The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

97 eclipse

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
Looks like about a gallon or two left in the tank. I’m sure I’ve ran it that low a few times in my 2g and I’ve never had issues from that. Have you ran those injectors before? Maybe they flow different. They’re low impedance injectors. Were the ones you were running the same shape? High impedance injectors are much narrower.
Sorry for the short answer man i was at work. I tested them out. The car feels normal until moderate load is used. The other injectors were good for a bit then they began leaking, 3 of them :banghead:
Saving money buying refurbished injectors really screwed me. I believe low impudence is oem so i went with that type of injector. This feels familiar though, the last time it felt like this was much worse but identical effect. I hit a big square cut from the road ripped the intercooler nearly in half. Mounted the IC higher this time, hard lesson to learn. Car could barely do 20mph on the way home. Really need to boost leak test again.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
Got around to doing the BLT and found an air leak in a unusual spot thats never happened. The braided tube from bov pipe to the tb elbow was leaking significantly. Enough to disturb the peak vacuum level and quickly lose boost. Couldn't test drive got to work and the fuel pump is still not mounted hopefully the next test drive presents good results

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
I'm seriously considering a strange swap for my interior. I really like this steering wheel and would feel very right having it in the cockpit.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 1gs have an awesome steering when, i loath the factory 2g steering wheel it is just atrocious.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
Not sure on a 2g. 1g you have to weld the collar from a 1g steering wheel. So cut and weld. You can find them for $150-$1100. Yeah that’s not a typo LOL
Only so many evo wheels, they seem rare enough to find for sale let alone one being parted out. I literally have never seen one in a junkyard and super rare for all car lots too. Wish i could have gotten the one i test drove this spring. All thanks to covid creating financial issues for everyone:toobad: Got a 4 cylinder Camry instead, o'well.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
Lifters are really noisy. Car idles really well, rap the gas peddle and it will behave ok but the revs drop and begin goes up hangs around 1350 for a bit then begins to stall and drops idle to around 450 for 20 seconds or so. I don't think my lifters were primed correctly and they are a bit on the squishy side and the valves aren't being opened enough. Does this sound plausible? I will be removing the VC tonight after the kids lay down. Hope this is the issue. The idle is super smooth so i don't think I damaged the cams or valves.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
The noise would usually be settled down itself shortly, if the HLAs are working.
They don't quiet down. They are 3g lifters from STM and are supposed to be super quiet. I also suspect a damaged crank sensor. I put spacers on it last time and didn't reinstall them. Can it get damaged in a way that causes intermittent misfires from brief losses of signal from the magnet?

DSMPT

DSM Wiseman
Jun 12, 2014
Japan / Mexico, Arizona
They don't quiet down. They are 3g lifters from STM and are supposed to be super quiet. I also suspect a damaged crank sensor. I put spacers on it last time and didn't reinstall them. Can it get damaged in a way that causes intermittent misfires from brief losses of signal from the magnet?
How long have you driven the car since you installed the new lifters?

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
How long have you driven the car since you installed the new lifters?
I've had these lifters in and out twice thus far. I put them in the first time in march. Ran the car blew the HG. Then did all the work ive been posting. The only thing i changed when reassembling this time was after i bled the lifters i installed them in the squishy state. Was that the wrong way or does it matter if you soak them in oil to stiffen them up?

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
Corrected my mistake, now i feel it will be right again. Rotating the motor i could see the lifters had no back bone and the valves weren't opening enough mostly on the exhaust cam. Oil is going to have to be changed again 3rd times a charm apparently. Got the 3g's prepping for later tonight.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

DSMPT

DSM Wiseman
Jun 12, 2014
Japan / Mexico, Arizona
I've had these lifters in and out twice thus far. I put them in the first time in march. Ran the car blew the HG. Then did all the work ive been posting. The only thing i changed when reassembling this time was after i bled the lifters i installed them in the squishy state. Was that the wrong way or does it matter if you soak them in oil to stiffen them up?
If the lifters have some air in, sometimes it would take some hours to some days to be settled down.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
If the lifters have some air in, sometimes it would take some hours to some days to be settled down.
Thank you Hiroshi I just purged them really good under oil about 3 minutes a piece. I will take your advice I know better than not to LOL. They are still submerged and I'll be patient and let them fully prime for a few days. I'm just glad the leak down test was good along with compression test. I still thing my coil transistor is acting goofy but I'm not 100% on that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com Raven Fabrication RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds