The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

9 second 1g auto drag build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So after a bunch of delays, i've decided to go another route and use an old Hughes restalled converter for the time being. Trans should be going in later today/tomorrow. Also retuning the car on E85 for this season so i'm excited to see how the car performs w/ these 2 changes.

Here's how it sits as of last night...

906975_10151514066246878_1685930493_o.jpg

Looking good. Have you had the exhaust that close to the bumper before though? The clearance on mine is pretty tight but not THAT tight....I don't believe. When I first started driving it, it melted the edged of the hole just a bit. But it's fine now. Luckily it was on the bottom side and can't tell there's anything wrong, but it sure had me worried.

On another note, can't wait to see some driving vids....at the track or on the street. Personally, I hate dyno vids. Lol.

Looking good. Have you had the exhaust that close to the bumper before though? The clearance on mine is pretty tight but not THAT tight....I don't believe. When I first started driving it, it melted the edged of the hole just a bit. But it's fine now. Luckily it was on the bottom side and can't tell there's anything wrong, but it sure had me worried.

On another note, can't wait to see some driving vids....at the track or on the street. Personally, I hate dyno vids. Lol.

Oddly enough, it's always been like that and didn't distort the bumper at all. I'm thinking of opening it up a little bit and making some sort of ring that goes around it.

As for videos...there are a few track videos in the thread. Here's the last one...

[ame="http://youtu.be/r5_v9MqDC2U"]http://youtu.be/r5_v9MqDC2U[/ame]

That is a gorgeous engine bay! Keep up the great work! Any plans to take your car to this years dsmshootout?

Awesome man, the Automagic keeps on rolling :rocks:
Your username 11 sec dsm should be changed to 8 sec dsm just to future proof it for a little bit man :hellyeah:

That is a gorgeous engine bay! Keep up the great work! Any plans to take your car to this years dsmshootout?

Thaks man! I'll definitely be at the shootout again this summer!

Awesome man, the Automagic keeps on rolling :rocks:
Your username 11 sec dsm should be changed to 8 sec dsm just to future proof it for a little bit man :hellyeah:

At this point the irony is fun. Lol!

What's the deal with the converter?

You both the ones you have, you could of had a bradco new and been rocking 8s!

No comment about the converter. Let's just say i've moved on from that. Car was back together today but found 2 new issues.

1. Car doesn't roll backwards in neutral (or any gear for that matter)

2. Popped a freeze plug on the last pass 5 weeks ago.

The latter is fixed, now trying to figure out WTF I did to the trans while I had the pump out. I think I know but I don't feel like pulling the trans again. LOL!

Very inspirational build! Really gives a lot of great ideas and projects done the RIGHT WAY!. Thanks for sharing, hope to see the car one day but we are a bit far apart. Love seeing how many Auto's are up and coming !:thumb:

Tore the trans down today and figured out the problem. It's all back together now and should be going back in the car tomorrow morning.

Huge score today! Picked up a Frank's fiberglass hatch and FAL 3 piece lexan kit from a local guy parting his car out. This should shave a ton of weight.

921383_10151525911116878_1517378734_o.jpg

Thanks! Not sure exactly but i'm estimating 50 or so pounds. Getting a retune for E85 in the next few days so hoping to hit the track as soon as Sunday.

Two converter bolts backed out again today on the dyno. I'm forever plagued by them. Hopefully I can fix it w/o pulling the trans AGAIN. Tacking them this time around. Enough BS.

Good news on the converter front thus far.

- made the same power on 30 psi as we did on 38 psi before.

- can foot brake it to 3k and build 3psi compared to 2500 and 0psi before...w/o tweaking the tune down low.

This is on an OLD Hughes restalled converter...

[ame=http://youtu.be/_i_WyTleU8o]1g DSM torque converter bolt carnage - YouTube[/ame]

We had Hughes build the first DSM convertor nearly 10 years ago and went through several changes, the ones we run now re spragless but if you can get you setup to stall with one they are very efficient up top.

We always used GM convertor bolts cut down and 2 flex plates to keep them from backing out or breaking.

We had Hughes build the first DSM convertor nearly 10 years ago and went through several changes, the ones we run now re spragless but if you can get you setup to stall with one they are very efficient up top.

We always used GM convertor bolts cut down and 2 flex plates to keep them from backing out or breaking.

So far with a few dyno pulls it seams like it's a good bit more efficient up top so i'm hoping I see the same results at the track. Bottom end is decently loose but i'd still need to get it up about 4500 more RPM for it to be useful w/o the bottle. I'll play with the tune a bit once I get these converter bolts back in and see if there's any hope of that. ...not really concerned with it though...just want top end efficiency.

why don't you just use nitrous to stall the car so you can run a tighter converter? With your setup and a better converter you should be trapping 150+.

why don't you just use nitrous to stall the car so you can run a tighter converter? With your setup and a better converter you should be trapping 150+.

Well, the previous converter was "supposed" to do the job w/o nitrous and it didn't so I have been using nitrous to spool but it was far from efficient up top (obviously). This Hughes converter is something just for now...if it works, great. If not, i'll probably just build a 2g trans and get a PI converter. I will be spraying it.

What about a Bradco converter? Others seem to be having success with them. I have one, but haven't completed my build yet to test it.

Brad also too adds material and drills and taps so it uses the Larger ARP bolts. I had the same thing happen to me, but they backed out at the track (IPT restall converter) and chewed up my Kiggly flexplate.

Hopefully with the new Bradco converter and larger ARP bolts I won't have that problem again.

Also, Kevin (Kiggly) told me to make sure you sand off any paint that is on the pads where the bolts go into the converter, as the paint will wear causing a gap and will assist in the bolts backing out.

IMG_20130124_135920.jpg

IMG_20130124_135818.jpg

IMG_20130124_135707.jpg

IMG_20130124_135614.jpg

IMG_20130124_135528.jpg

A Bradco converter is still an option...I just want to see more data from them before I spend $1200 on one. So far i've seen Nick's old car with it and now Ted has that same converter. I don't know of another one out there so in my mind I want to see another car run one (a different one). Hopefully you'll get some good runs in later this season.

A buddy of mine just posted up his footage...

[ame=http://youtu.be/Hdp2SVZIr64]A Couple of 9 second DSMs visit Powerhaus Performance - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Yeah I hope so too. Who's Ted?

I'll also say, I called Brad and went directly though him for my converter it only cost me $1050. I will also say it took 3 months for him to finish it and send it back to me.

I purchased mine after talking to Nick at the shootout and talking to Brad himself. Also if you do a google search on Bradco you'll find that he makes one of the best converters for high horsepower NHRA drag cars. Even though they are billet units that he makes for them, his reputation is known for making very successful converters that drop tenths off domestic race cars.

Also his converter comes with a 3 year warranty and a free restall.

That's good to hear! I know several domestic guys that use the Bradco converters with good success.

Ted is the guys who bought the converter from Nick when he sold the black car. turbodsm90 on here.

I ended up pulling the trans quick this morning and will bump the holes up to a larger diameter and fine thread pitch so that should help things out. Most likely going to use 12x1.25 flexplate bolts since I can get a good amount of torque on them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back