The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

456whp EVO III 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have any dyno sheets from bolt on HX35? I see every one taking about it but I see no dyno or track times. I have had the chance to tune 2 bolt on HX35 cars and they seem total fail to me. Spool was almost 800rpm worse then a 16g and power was about the same or even less. PTE 50trims in DSM housing seem the same way also.

I have never put one on a Dsm but it always seems the installs end up very sloppy with leaking return lines, Exhaust that does not fit right.

I will look around on here to see what I can. Was on talk last night searcing "HX35 Dyno" and all I could come up with is a ton of bench racing about the turbo.

Yea a lot of holset guys are a bunch of bench racers wishing for that magical $200 junk yard turbo. But if you can only afford a junk yard turbo can you afford to be hitting up dynos?

My PTE bolt on 50 trim makes 25psi at 3850rpm on a 3rd gear dyno pull and puts down 497whp on our Mustang dyno burning pump + meth. For comparison, the best EVO 16 numbers on our dyno have been 342 (mine) and 341, with a bunch making around 330whp.

Not sure how you guys get E85 not to knock, maybe my tune is too aggressive or something but ive got pump E85 and even E98 to knock no problem.

Not sure how you guys get E85 not to knock, maybe my tune is too aggressive or something but ive got pump E85 and even E98 to knock no problem.

Try adding a little methanol spray on top. How close to peak timing can you get before knock shows up.

I'm not really pushing mine timing-wise, as I'm only peaking at 22*, but I've run as lean as 16.xx:1 at 20* at WOT and not knocked. This was on e85 and an Evo3 16g.

You can have everything installed and running with the holset for 550-600bucks.
But that still is a lot of money for the most of us, which is understandable. One of the reasons I had a evo3 for so long, never had money to upgrade.

Is it smoking?

Not smoking yet, so that's another reason I have not checked it yet. I looked at a 7-blade HX35 a month or so ago, could have picked it up for $100 but it needed a rebuild. And then all the other expenses you listed, so I passed.

I'm going to stick with trying to get the most out of the Evo3 16g at this point, up to the time it blows up or I get bored with it. Cams are next when I can afford them, so that ought to keep me entertained for a while longer.

Running that lean on e85 is not going to do anything. E85 gains very little when leaning it out compared to gasoline.

I have gotten my car to knock on e85. It does and can detonate. Ive seen 4 counts on my tune. 32psi (26psi holding), 12.0:1 and 22-24* timing. It will sometimes knock but just during certain situations.

My turbo has over 5 years and 20,000+ miles and still strong. Thats with over a year of 32psi spikes. Shimmed wastegate with MBC cranked all the way.

How can 39lbs/min turbo (Evo3 16G) flow enough air for 530HP (450WHP) when 39lbs/min can only provide enough air for some 390HP????

Your first assuming the EVO3 16g is restricted to 39 lb/min. In the right hands, and yanking the MAF and running a huge inlet pipe on speed density, alot of port work, etc., I'd say that number is closer to 45-46 lb/min. I've seen 44.5 lb/min on a practically untouched virgin EVO3 16g on the stock 2g MAF. I also feel the formula is more like 10 w.h.p. per lb/minute on an aggressive tune. Its already been done so the point is academic.

It's just too much of a difference with the maximum that other 95% tuners achieve. I wonder what are those special things that make this possible. Super flowing head? Super "large" camshafts? Fuel? Meth? Ported turbo?
Maybe offtopic, but what are max trap speeds that people achieve on non-stripped cars with Evo3 16G?

The special "things" are listed on page 1.

If you break done each and every mod, the numbers add up. Your typical DSMer without E98, removing the MAF, 272 cams, all the compressor/turbine port work, etc. can pull 380-400 w.h.p. on WAY less boost then they ran. The E98 is worth +5% alone, the MAF removal another +5% power increase, not to mention the rest. Then factor in cranking the boost up and the tricks necessary to "hold" it, that puts their setup beyond the 95% average setup. It is not magic, they didn't make it up. Lucas applied all the tricks in one-setup.

So when are you going to do all those special things all at once to make those kind of numbers ;)?

Tricks to "hold it" seam to be nothing more than a way to cool the charge other than a restrictive charge cooler.

I am dynoing at AMS tomorrow, from there I'll figure out which mods come next. Knowing the tricks and applying them are two different things. It takes a deligent person to go after and maximize every little mod, this is the point I was trying to make. That pretty much knocks out 95% of the people, hence why 95% don't make 460 w.h.p. on an EVO3 16g.

When I'm doing all those mods is a good question. I'd like to do the E85 as soon as possible, the speed density right after that, then the Kelford 272 cams I bought last year maybe as one of the last mods.

Slowboy racing did that whole article on dynoing different turbos back quite a few years and they where the first I recall cracking the 400 w.h.p. barrier on an EVO3 16g. Then Lucas with his 457 w.h.p. and Curt Brown with the 499 w.h.p.
If one person does it and posts their entire mods list, then it is basically a blueprint that can be repeated for everyone. I feel the 457 w.h.p. is doable and a number I feel I could come close to. The 499 w.h.p. and what was done to achieve it are well beyond what I'd ever attempt on my car.

I am dynoing at AMS tomorrow, from there I'll figure out which mods come next. .... I'd like to do the E85 as soon as possible
Did you dyno it? :)
Would E85 make or allow to make more power than pump gas?

Congratulations Luke! So a person of vision as you could have these initiatives.
Brilliant designs at low cost!
I'm using their results to my studies!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back